Are you someone who loves whipping up Korean food at home? If yes, then having key pantry essentials unique to Korean cuisine is important because they can truly make a difference in your dish. Finding ingredients like halal gochujang and halal tteokbokki may be tricky since they’re not always available in your local grocery store, but don’t worry! We’ve got you covered with this list of halal Korean products (which includes snacks and other yummy treats as well!) that you can find online in Malaysia ?
1. Halal gochujangGochujang is one of the most classic ingredients used in Korean cooking. Made from red chili pepper flakes, glutinous rice, fermented soybeans and salt, this delicious spicy-sweet red pepper paste can take any dish from good to extraordinary! Whether that’s your bibimbap, dakgalbi or Korean fried chicken, gochujang adds that special spicy flavour that can’t be compared to anything else. Where to find:
2. Halal gochugaruGochugaru is another essential ingredient in Korean cooking that usually goes hand-in-hand with gochujang. When making side dishes, soups or stews like budae jjigae, kimchi jjigae and kimchi, gochugaru is a key component that gives these meals that classic hot, sweet and slightly smoky flavour. Where to find:
3. Halal tteokbokkiAs one of the most popular Korean street foods, tteokbokki is a classic dish that has now become a staple household item for many home cooks. Spicy, rich with umami and perfectly comforting, it’s easy to see why this dish is widely loved. Making your own tteokbokki at home is super easy especially since you have the option to get the paste (that makes the sauce) along with the Korean rice cakes. But if you want to whip up the sauce by yourself, you can too since it isn’t difficult to do ?Where to find:
4. Halal kimchiYou can’t talk about Korean cooking without mentioning one of its classic dishes: kimchi. Loved by the locals in Korea as well as people from around the world, this spicy dish of fermented vegetables can be used both as a side dish or in cooking Korean recipes like kimchi fried rice and kimchi jjigae. While you can always learn how to make halal kimchi from scratch, those who prefer having it readily made can turn to the options below for some yummy halal kimchi. Where to find:
5. Chunjang (jajang sauce) Anyone who’s a die-hard fan of K-dramas will immediately recognize jajangmyeon (or black bean sauce noodles). This super popular dish that’s a fascinating combination of Korean-Chinese cuisine has slowly been on the rise of popular noodle dishes to cook at home. The key ingredient here that gives jajangmyeon its dark colour and flavour is chunjang (jajang sauce) which you can easily find on various online platforms. Where to find:
6. DoenjangAlso known as fermented soy bean paste, doenjang gives many Korean stews an earthy, savoury flavour that simply cannot be replaced with anything else. So if you want to achieve that umami-rich taste that transforms dishes and makes them distinctively Korean, then make sure to stock your kitchen with some halal doenjang! ?Where to find:
7. Nuts Holic almond snacksKorean flavoured almond snacks are one of the most iconic souvenirs you can get in Korea and for those who have been craving these addictive almonds, we’re happy to say that you can actually find them online! While the popular honey butter chips and almond snacks by Tom’s Farm are not halal-certified (check out our article on this!), Nuts Holic has rolled out several products which are halal-certified by the Korea Muslim Federation (KMF). With amazing flavours like honey butter, hot spicy and strawberry, go ahead and fill your shelves with Nuts Holic’s almond snacks.Where to find:
8. Pepero As huge snackers ourselves, we can’t forget to include pepero! This biscuit stick covered in chocolate and other things such as nuts, cheese and almonds are really popular but not all of them that are sold in markets are halal-certified. So, make sure to get ones that have been certified by the Islamic Food and Nutrition Council of America (IFANCA) and Korea Muslim Federation (KMF) which you can find below. Where to find:
9. Binggrae milkIf there’s one iconic Korean drink we had to include in this list, it would be Binggrae Banana Milk. Perfect for both quenching your thirst on a hot day and giving yourself a yummy treat, this drink offers a wonderful blend of sweet, ripe banana and milk that’s nothing short of amazing. And with other flavours available such as Strawberry and Melon, you’ll be coming back for more of this yummy drink after that first sip!Where to find:
With this list in mind, you're now one step closer to cooking up a storm of Korean dishes at home and snacking on some yummy treats whenever you want ?