[Updated 12 July 2021]
If you’re looking for a way to use that jar of kimchi that’s been sitting in your fridge for a while, making kimchi soup (or kimchi jjigae) is your answer. Spicy, soothing it’s a simple dish to make and perfect to chow down on a chilly day ?
Traditionally, kimchi jjigae uses pork shoulder or pork belly as one of its main ingredients since it pairs well with the soup. But it’s still possible to make a tasty dish using other meats! With this halal kimchi jjigae recipe, prepare to enjoy a mouthwatering bowl of kimchi stew whenever you want ?
Note: When making Korean cuisine, it’s best to have a few essential pantry ingredients such as sesame oil, gochujang and gochugaru.
P.S. Check out our article on where you can get halal Korean food products online in Singapore!
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 2 cups kimchi (diced)
- ¾ pound (340g) beef (cut into bite size pieces)
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- ½ onion (chopped)
- 1 tbsp gochujang
- 1 tbsp gochugaru
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- ½ tsp minced ginger
- 3 cups water
- ½ block tofu (slice about ½ an inch thick)
- 2 scallions (chopped)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pour sesame oil into a pan and swirl it around. Add beef and cook over medium-high heat.
- Add kimchi to the pot and stir-fry for about 5 minutes. Add garlic, gochujang, gochugaru and soy sauce. Combine everything thoroughly.
- Pour water into the pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to simmer and let the stew cook for another 20 to 30 minutes. Add tofu after the first 10 minutes and scallions at the very end.
- Serve it with a bowl of white rice and enjoy!
Now that you're armed with this easy kimchi jjigae recipe, it's time to head to the kitchen and make yourself a delicious pot of spicy kimchi stew ?