Craving Korean food for your next meal but don't know what to pick? Well, if you love a dish that's flavourful, comforting and easy to make, then dakgalbi may be the one for you! As a local specialty from Chuncheon - the capital city of Gangwon Province, South Korea - this popular dish is essentially a combo of chicken, vegetables and rice cakes stir-fried with a spicy gochujang based sauce. You can expect to find this item on the menu of most Korean restaurants where its served in many variations, one of them being cheese dakgalbi ? So if you're ready to have a taste of this yummy dish, make your way to the kitchen with this easy halal dakgalbi recipe.
Ingredients (serves 2 to 3)
For the sauce
- 1lb (500g) boneless skinless chicken thigh, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 medium sweet potato, cut into 2-inch long and 1 ½ inch thick strips
- 1 onion
- 1 medium carrot
- 1 ½ cup green cabbage, cut into chunks
- 3 green onion
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- Extra sesame oil and seeds to serve
- Handful tteok (Korean rice cakes), optional
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp gochugaru
- 3tbsp gochujang
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- In a bowl, combine all the ingredients for the sauce. Then, pour the sauce over the chopped chicken and coat it thoroughly. Let it marinade for at least 30 minutes (or overnight, the longer the better!).
- Add cooking oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Throw in all the vegetables, Korean rice cakes (if using) and add the marinated meat on top. Cook everything for about 3 to 4 minutes, then reduce the heat to medium low and cook for another 10 to 15 minutes. Give it an occasional stir to avoid the food from sticking to the pan. To speed up the cooking process, cover the pan with a lid.
- Remove from heat, serve and enjoy!
Dakgalbi is a great stir-fry dish that not only promises wonderful flavours but also the convenience that comes
- Bulk up the dish by adding noodles or making a plate of fried rice to enjoy alongside it. You can use this easy kimchi fried rice recipe or any other recipes of your liking.
- If you love cheese, add ½ cup (or more) of shredded mozzarella cheese at the last 10 minutes of cooking.
with making it. So whether you're short on time and prefer not to spend hours in the kitchen or simply want to add another delicious Korean dish to your cooking resume, this dakgalbi dish has got you covered ?