At some point in our lives, most of us have had fried chicken. But what about Korean fried chicken? Known for its super crunchy exterior and addictive sweet-and-spicy sauce, we’re already drooling at the thought of biting into perfectly crispy chicken skin and savouring the tender, juicy meat inside 🤤 While there are many kinds of Korean fried chicken, we’ll be sticking to the classic one that’s served with spicy Gochujang sauce. The main thing to note when making it is the double frying step where you basically fry the chicken twice. So with this in mind, let’s go ahead and get started on this halal Korean fried chicken recipe!
Ingredients (serves 2)
For the sauce
- 1.4kg of chicken wings (You can also use boneless chicken but do note that the frying time will take shorter, so adjust accordingly.)
- 2 tsp minced ginger
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 cup of potato starch or cornstarch
- Oil for frying
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp gochujang
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1tbs minced ginger
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- Place chicken, ginger, salt and black pepper in a bowl. Mix them wellusing your hands. Then, dip each chicken wing into the starch, shaking off any excess and set aside.
- In a saucepan, add a generous amount of oil and heat it until the temperature hits 170°C. Fry half of the chicken wings at a time for about 5 minutes or so until light golden. Remember not to overcrowd the pan when frying!
- Take out the wings, drain them and place onto a plate covered with a kitchen towel. The oil will drop to about 160°C after your first round of frying, so heat it back up to 190°C.
- Fry the wings a second time until golden brown and crispy. Drain once more and set aside
- In a pan, combine all the ingredients for the sauce and stir over low heat until the mixture starts to bubble. Toss in the wings and enjoy while it's hot!
- If you're not a fan of spicy food, you can always skip over the sauce or serve it separately from the fried chicken as a dipping sauce.
- You can check to see if the oil is ready dipping a test wing in it. If the oil bubbles, that means it's hot enough tostart frying.
Once you take a bite out of some Korean fried chicken, you'll find yourself hooked on this version and making it over and over again 😉
Want more easy Korean recipes? Check out these articles: