For those who have travelled to Korea or are huge fans of K-dramas, you’re probably familiar with tteokbokki. This spicy rice cake dish is one of the most popular Korean street foods around and it’s not hard to see why it’s so well-loved. Spicy, rich with umami and perfectly comforting, we’re already drooling at the thought of having some tteokbokki ourselves ? If you’ve been craving this dish just like us, the good news is that you can easily make it by yourself at home! With this halal tteokbokki recipe, prepare to whip up a delicious pot of goodness for your next meal.
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 1 ½ cup of tteokbokki (You can get halal tteokbokki at Shopee Malaysia, Shopee Singapore and Shopee Indonesia)
- 1 cup fish cake, cut into bite sizes
For the sauce
- 2 cups water
- 3 tbsp gochujang
- 2 tbsp gochugaru
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp corn syrup
For the garnish (optional)
- Toasted sesame seeds
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- If your rice cakes aren’t already soft, soak them in warm water for 10 minutes or thaw them in the fridge overnight then soak in cold water for 30 minutes.
- In a large pot, combine water, gochujang, gochugaru, soy sauce, sugar and corn syrup. Mix them over medium-high heat until everything is combined well.
- Once the mixture starts to boil, reduce to a simmer. Then add tteokbokki and fish cake. Stir for 3 to 5 minutes until everything is fully cooked.
- Add sesame oil, sesame seeds, green onion and stir. Serve and enjoy!
With this easy halal tteokbokki recipe, you’re all set for your next K-drama marathon! But if you want more snacks to whip up so that it’ll last you throughout your binge-watching session, we’ve got you covered with these easy Korean street food recipes ?