Solo travelling is a rewarding experience. You can explore a new destination, get acquainted with the local culture, and create travel experiences that will last a lifetime. The best part is, you can experience solo travel in Malaysia!
In case you're wondering if Malaysia is safe for solo travel, yes it is! However, similar to any countries around the world, you need to practice important safety tips and exercise caution especially when you're travelling alone. Here are some things to remember when you're travelling alone.
- Trust your instincts: If you're feeling uncomfortable staying in a particular hotel or going to a place with someone you don't know, your instincts are always right.
- Take care of your belongings: Don't leave your personal belongings such as a wallet or phone out in the open.
- Be aware of your surroundings: When exploring a city, avoid listening to music with your headphones on, walk with confidence and make sure you know where you're heading
- Keep your family updated: Stay connected and let them know where you're heading that day or drop them a message once you're back at your hotel
Now let's check out some of the best destinations in Malaysia for solo travel in 2021! As of January 2021, interstate travel is temporarily banned in Malaysia during MCO (Movement Control Order), but you can bookmark this article and travel when it's finally safe to do so.
1. Kuala Lumpur
If you're kicking off your solo travel in Malaysia this 2021, you can start with the country's capital city of Kuala Lumpur. Amid the concrete jungle of skyscrapers and glitzy buildings, there are many shopping malls, outdoor attractions, Instagrammable hotels, and independent cafes to fill your itinerary with. For things to eat, see and do in Kuala Lumpur, these travel guides are perfect for your next solo getaway.
- 10 Insta-Worthy Hotels In KL For Your Next Staycation In The City
- 8 Halal Cafes In KL For A Weekend Brunch Date
- 14 Stunning Insta-Worthy Spots In KL That Are Absolutely Free
There's a reason why Penang is called the food capital of Malaysia. The deliciousness of Penang's asam laksa, char kuay teow and nasi kandar is indisputable and every Malaysian can agree that this is where you should go for the ultimate food adventure. If this calls for a solo food trip, here are some things to see, eat and do in Penang.
- 7 Best Things To Do In Penang On Your Next Trip
- 8 Instagram-Worthy Boutique Hotels In Penang
- Eat Your Way Through Penang At These 13 Halal Eateries
3. Ipoh, Perak
Don't get too comfortable just yet, Penang because Ipoh has many delicious and affordable street food too. Many local foodies would queue for a taste of dim sum, nasi ganja and tau fu fah. Let's not forget the abundance of hipster cafes in Ipoh that are great to capture your favourite moments in Perak's capital city. To make the most of your solo trip in Malaysia, these travel guides are here to help.
- 6 Best Things To Do In Ipoh On Your Next Road Trip
- 12 Instagrammable Spots (Near Muslim-Friendly Eateries) In Ipoh For A Photo-Worthy Getaway
- Top 13 Accommodations For The Perfect Ipoh Getaway
Malaysia is blessed with many food cities and Melaka is one of them. Solo travellers can make their way to different Muslim-friendly eateries and try asam pedas, durian cendol, and chicken rice ball. Since Melaka used to be a popular trading port in the Straits of Malacca, you can discover its historical past in various museums too. When the sun sets, make your way to Jonker Street to shop for unique gifts and immerse yourself in Melaka's bustling scene.
- 8 Best Things To Do In Melaka For Your Next Road Trip
- 7 Amazing Budget Hotels In Melaka For Your Next Trip (Under RM150)
- 10 Halal Eateries To Visit On Your Next Road Trip To Melaka
5. Kota Kinabalu, Sabah
Your solo trips in Malaysia would be incomplete without taking a flight to Kota Kinabalu, the capital city of Sabah. Besides visiting the museums and art galleries to get to know the ethnic cultures in Sabah, there are also many street markets, scenic beaches, and street food that are waiting to be discovered.
- 7 Awesome Budget Hotels To Stay In Kota Kinabalu (Under RM155)
- 10 IG-Worthy Attractions In Sabah That’s Worth Driving From Kota Kinabalu
- 4D3N Kota Kinabalu & Kundasang Itinerary For An Adventure In Sabah
6. Kuching, Sarawak
Known as the capital city of Sarawak, Kuching is a playground of sights and sounds that are perfect for solo travellers. Brimming with character and laid-back charm, it also earned the nickname, the City of Cats, thanks to its moniker that means 'cat' in Bahasa Malaysia. If you're planning a solo trip, here are the best things to see and do in Kuching.
- 9 Best Things To Do In Kuching On Your Next Vacay
- 8 Hidden Gems To Discover On Your Trip To Kuching, Sarawak
- 10 Reasons To Explore Kuching - Malaysia's Most Underrated Destination
7. Langkawi, Kedah
Out of the many beautiful islands in Malaysia, Langkawi ranks high as one of the best destinations for solo travel in Malaysia. Besides being home to the popular Pantai Cenang, there are many amazing things to do that includes shopping for duty-free chocolates and water sports activities. From scenic cable car rides to splashing water parks, we've rounded up a list of best things to see, eat and do in Langkawi!
- 8 Best Things To Do In Langkawi For Your Next Island Getaway
- Langkawi Food Guide: 12 Delicious Halal Eateries For An Awesome Trip
- 14 Budget-Friendly Accommodations In Langkawi (Under RM200!)
8. Johor Bahru
Situated in the southern tip of peninsular Malaysia, there's so much to love about Johor Bahru (JB, in short), also known as the capital city of Johor. Surrounded by delicious halal food, charming cities, and amazing theme parks, it's also no surprise to find many things to do in JB. If you're planning a solo trip to this destination in the future, these travel guides will come in handy!
- 8 Best Things To Do In Johor On Your Next Road Trip
- 11 Super Cosy Accommodations In JB For Your Next Weekend Getaway
- 14 Amazing Halal Cafés In JB For Your Next Café-Hopping Adventure
9. Kuala Terengganu
There's something absolutely charming about Terengganu that's situated on the east coast of Peninsular Malaysia. Besides its white sandy beaches and laid-back vibe, there are many exciting things to do in Terengganu! If you're going on a solo trip to Terengganu in the future, check out these amazing adventures that await you.
- 5 Nature Resorts In Terengganu For Your Next Sunny Getaway
- 10 Things To Do In Terengganu On Your Next Road Trip (Near Local Eateries)
- 12 Mouthwatering Dishes You Have To Try In Kelantan And Terengganu
10. Kota Bharu, Kelantan
Kelantan may not be the first place that pops to mind when you think of an ultimate getaway in Malaysia. But this laid-back destination has plenty to offer! Filled with delicious food, exciting outdoor activities and scenic hidden gems, there's a world of adventure that awaits you here. Just check out this list of best things to see, eat and do in Kelantan!
- 8 Best Things To Do In Kelantan For The Ultimate Road Trip
- 7 Delicious Nasi Kerabu Eateries To Try In Kota Bharu, Kelantan
- 6 Hidden Gems In Kelantan You Should Visit Next
Solo travelling is one of the best ways to immerse yourself in the sights and sounds of Malaysia. We hope these recommendations will inspire your next solo getaway in this beautiful country!