With the abundance of long weekends in Malaysia, there's no better time to explore your favourite city. If you're living in Kuala Lumpur, there are many things to do and sights to discover in this bustling capital city too. Whether you're planning a relaxing staycation or treating yourself to a relaxing spa day, here's what you can do to make the most of your Merdeka long weekend.
1. Plan a staycation in the city
Sometimes you need a quick getaway, but conditions don't always permit to travel far. When that happens, staycations are here to save the day! And lucky for us, KL is full of wonderful hotels that make for easy and convenient stays. Whether you're spending the night in the Instagram-worthy KLoe Hotel or the luxurious Majestic Hotel, it'll be a well-deserved staycation in the city.
- 8 Romantic Suites In KL For Your Next Getaway With Your Spouse
- 8 Insta-Worthy Hotels In KL For Your Next Staycation In The City
2. Visit the city's famous theme parks
If you're looking for something to do during the Merdeka long weekend, you can always visit the best theme parks in Kuala Lumpur for an afternoon's worth of fun and excitement. It doesn't matter if you're a kid or young at heart, you'll enjoy every attraction at Berjaya Times Square Theme Park, experiencing an indoor apocalypse-themed adventure at District 21 and conquering the all-new Escape Challenge Indoor Theme Park in Paradigm Mall!
- 7 Best Theme Parks In KL For A Fun Family Weekend
- 7 Super Cool Indoor Theme Parks In KL Your Kids Will Love
- 7 Exciting Outdoor Activities In KL To Enjoy With Your Kids
3. Treat yourself to a spa day
Offering everything from aromatherapy massages to facial treatments, there are many spas in Kuala Lumpur to unwind and de-stress after a busy workweek. If you're planning a spa date with your girlfriends or longing for a much-needed 'me' time, look no further than our spa recommendations below. From the luxurious Hammam Spa to the one-of-a-kind Urban Retreat Onsen Spa, you'll be glad to book an appointment at these places.
- Top 10 Spas In KL For A Pampering Session (At Every Budget!)
- 8 Muslimah-Friendly Spas In KL To Pamper Yourself
4. Go cafe-hopping with your friends
It's no secret that we all love visiting Insta-worthy cafes. Whether it's the aesthetically pleasing food, beautiful decor or impressive architecture, anything and everything that can make a gorgeous shot is welcomed. In fact, you should take the opportunity to explore every new cafe you missed out on this year. You can brunch amid the lush green plants at Jibby by the Park, find a comfortable spot at the glasshouse-inspired Pokok or spend hours in the homey Tujoh cafe.
- 8 Halal Nature-Themed Cafes In KL & Selangor That Are Perfect For Unwinding
- 8 Halal Places In KL & Selangor For A Taste Of Desserts From Around The World
- 7 Halal Dessert Spots In KL & Selangor To Beat The Malaysian Heat
- 10 Muslim-Friendly Cafes In Petaling Street You Must Go For The Perfect Brunch Date
5. Capture snapshots at the city's Instagrammable spots
Our weekends are best spent visiting hidden cafes in Kuala Lumpur, escaping to a laid-back glamping spot near the city, or planning a staycation with your family. If there's another thing we love to do, that would be snapping photos at the newest Instagram spots in Kuala Lumpur! Want to freshen up your Instagram feed? Make your way to the Elmina Iconic Bridge in Shah Alam, REXKL in Kuala Lumpur or the famous Pusat Sains Negara!
- 8 New Instagram-Worthy Spots In KL That Are Waiting For You This 2020
- 13 Stunning Insta-Worthy Spots In KL That Are Absolutely Free
BONUS: Plan a last-minute short getaway near Kuala Lumpur
If you want to step outside of the bustling city, you can plan many last-minute short getaways near Kuala Lumpur. Just a short drive from the capital city, you can stay at Rumah Kebun in Hulu Langat, go on a road trip to Seremban or enjoy a nature retreat in Janda Baik!
- 7 Amazing Road Trips Near KL For A Family Getaway
- 10 Best Last-Minute Short Getaways Near KL You Can Go Right Now
- 7 Romantic Nature Retreats Near KL For A Weekend Getaway (From RM230!)
Everyone deserves a break during Merdeka's long weekend! If you're looking for exciting things to do and road trips to explore, we hope this list will make your long weekend worthwhile.