There are two things we’re certain of when it comes to roast duck: 1) It’s absolutely delicious 2) The challenge of finding a halal version in KL is real. This authentic Chinese dish is typically seen at hawker stalls where the chances of it being halal is usually zero to none. So, if you’ve been on a long quest of uncovering halal roast ducks in KL, don’t worry! You can rest easy with this handy list that also includes some spots in Selangor ?
1. Restoran Norazlina ChongFor those living in Klang Valley, you may have heard of Restoran Norazlina Chong. Best known for their roast duck, the meat goes through an intricate cutting process that’s marinated with various Chinese spices and herbs. Then, they’re showered with hot water and vinegar to caramelise the skin for ultimate flavour ? If you’re ordering for a large group, an entire roast duck (RM60) or half duck (RM32) is perfect. But you can also opt for their smaller rice sets (RM10) that come with a generous serving of chopped roasted duck. Read more about Restoran Norazlina Chong here!Halal status: Halal-certified
Opening hours: Mon-Fri; 5PM-8PM, Sat; 12PM-8PM (closed on Sun)
Address: 30 Jalan Megan Setapak 1 Taman Megan Setapak Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Contact: +6011-3993 7399
Facebook | InstagramP.S. Craving Japanese cuisine instead? Then head to these 9 Muslim-friendly Japanese restaurants in Klang Valley for Tokyo-worthy meals!
2. Itik BondaItik Bonda is a home-based business that may not have a physical restaurant where you can dine at, but they shouldn’t be discounted when it comes to delicious roast duck. According to one customer, their roast duck reminds them of the ones served at Noodle Oodle in London! If you ask us, that’s a major win in our book ? Enjoy their classic dish of roast duck with rice or have a go at their newest recipe, duck spring rolls. Halal status: Muslim-owned
Opening hours: Open daily; 11AM-1PM, 5PM-6.30PM
Contact: +6019-998 8387
3. Roast Kitchen Previously located in Taman Tun and Cyberjaya, make your way to Roast Kitchen in Taman Midah where you can get your cravings for amazing roast duck fulfilled. With a focus on delivery and catering, it’s the perfect place to turn to if you’re throwing a large dinner party at home for guests who are fans of crispy, roasted duck. Big names like Syed Saddiq, Malaysia’s Youth and Sports Minister, have even given Roast Kitchen’s duck a try. So, go ahead and shoot them a message to get some delicious roast duck delivered right to your doorstep! Halal status: Halal-certified
Opening hours: Mon-Sat; 10AM-5PM
Contact: +6017-616 7301 / +603-2858 9283
Facebook | Instagram
4. Restoran Haslinda Sim Restoran Haslinda Sim has always been the go-to for halal Chinese food in Bangi. And among their various dishes offered, the roast duck is one of the few that shines above the rest. The eatery is currently undergoing renovations but you can look forward to their reopening on the 1st of August 2020. That’s just 2 weeks away, so make sure to mark your calendars for a trip to Kajang! To give you even more of a reason to visit, they’re offering a 10% discount throughout the first week of August for dine-in customers ? Halal status: Muslim-owned
Opening hours: Open daily; 11.30AM-7.15PM (
Address: No 11, Jalan Baiduri 1, Bandar Teknologi Kajang , 43500, Kajang Malaysia
Contact: +6012-920 6983
Facebook | Instagram
5. China TreasuresChina Treasures is usually frequented for their halal dim sum. But did you know that you can also get your fill of delicious roast duck here too? That’s right! Served all year-round, this is the place you should bookmark for anytime your big family reunion calls for roast duck as the main course. If you’re eyeing China Treasures as your next place to hit up, make sure to place your reservations well in advance since it can be hard to get a booking (especially on weekends and the holidays!). Halal status: Halal-certified
Opening hours: Open daily; 12PM-2PM, 6PM-10PM
Address: China Treasures, Sime Darby Convention Centre, 1A, Jalan Bukit Kiara 1, 60000 Kuala Lumpur Malaysia
Contact: +603 2089 3788P.S. For more Chinese cuisine, get your dim sum fix at these 6 Muslim-friendly restaurants in KL.
BONUS: Itik Salai MastharTake your roast duck journey up a notch by having smoked duck at Itik Salai Masthar. Located in Kajang, about a 20-minute drive from KL, this popular eatery is famous for their masak lemak cili padi (smoked duck curry). Made up of tender, smoked duck and an unbelievably creamy coconut-based curry, the combination hits the spot unlike any other. It’s definitely a trip worth taking and you won’t regret the drive once you have a taste of this rich and flavourful dish ?
Want to know more about Itik Salai Masthar? Click here to find out
Halal status: Muslim-ownedOpening hours: Open daily; 11AM-10PM
Address: Kampung Sungai Ramal Dalam, 43000 Kajang, Selangor
Contact: +6019-255 3645With this list in mind, you won’t have to crack your brain figuring out where to get halal roast duck in KL or Selangor ?