Anyone who has explored the Korean street food scene will instantly recognize Korean tornado potatoes. Also known as twist potatoes or spiral potatoes, this yummy treat is great to snack on while you continue to soak in the sights and smells of other delicious eats like tteokbokki, hotteok and gyeran-bbang. While tornado potatoes are typically made with a machine, the great news is that you can actually make this on your own at home! Read ahead to see how you can do so with this easy halal Korean tornado potatoes recipe ?
Ingredients (yields 4)
- 4 potatoes
- 4 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp cornflour (or bread crumbs)
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 2 tbsp water, or more as needed
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Oil for deep frying
- 4 wooden skewers
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, cornflour, chilli powder, salt, pepper and water. Set aside for further use.
- Wash and dry potatoes well. Then insert a wooden skewer into the middle of the potato, from the bottom end all the way through the top. Using a knife, cut it at an angle while rotating the potato in the opposite direction so that you get a swirl-like pattern. For a visual guide, check out how it's done in How Tasty’s video recipe:
- Pour oil in a deep frying pan over high heat.
- Dip the sliced potato into the batter, making sure it’s fully coated. Place the potato into the pan and deep fry for about 5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove and place onto a plate lined with paper towels. Repeat with the remaining potatoes. Serve and enjoy!
Making Korean tornado potatoes at home is not just easy but also a fun recipe to do. So grab your friends and family and plan a day where you can make this yummy skewered snack together ?