The idea of a dish that’s just mostly made up of egg and bread may sound a little dull especially for huge foodie lovers. But if we’re talking about Korean egg bread, also known as gyeran-bbang, it’s a whole different story! As one of the many popular Korean street foods, this simple yet amazingly delicious treat gives you sweet-salty flavours that are elevated further by various toppings such as cheese, green herbs and tomato sauce. Perfect for brunch or even a midday snack, let’s go ahead and check out this halal gyeran-bbang recipe ?
Ingredients (yields 6)
For the batter
- ¾ cup whole milk (you can substitute this with other types of milk, as long as they’re not flavoured)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1 egg
For the egg bread
- 6 eggs
- Fine sea salt
- Grated cheese (any kind)
- Parsley, basil or chive (chopped)
- 6-cup muffin pan
- Preheat the oven to 200°C and brush the muffin pan with some melted butter.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine sifted flour, baking soda, baking powder, sugar and salt together. Then, add egg (for the batter), milk, butter and whisk everything until smooth.
- Pour about 2 tablespoons of the batter into each muffin section. Then crack an egg into each of the sections and top off with 1 tablespoon of batter. Do the same for all 6 sections of the muffin pan.
- If using toppings, go ahead and sprinkle salt, herbs and cheese on top of each batter. Pop the pan in the oven and bake for about 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven, serve and enjoy!
Making Korean egg breads isn't difficult at all and now that you've got this recipe, you won't have any problems finding a yummy treat that you can quickly whip up ?