When it comes to creme brulees, many people assume that it’s difficult to make. But what if we told you that all you need are 5 ingredients to create this rich and elegant dessert? That’s right - creme brulees are easy to bake and while most recipes require a kitchen torch to achieve its signature caramelized sugar top, this version we’re sharing with you doesn’t need one. Instead, you’ll be using your oven’s broiler ? So, let’s get started on this easy creme brulee recipe!
Ingredients (serves 6)
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 5 large egg yolks
- ½ cup sugar (plus extra for caramelizing)
- 1 tsp alcohol-free vanilla extract (or 1 ½ vanilla essence)
- 1 tsp salt
- 6 oven-safe ramekins (or any heat-resistant tea cups, coffee mugs or bowls)
- Baking dish (for the water bath)
- Preheat oven to 150°C.
- Pour heavy cream into a saucepan, stirring frequently over low heat until almost at a simmer, then remove from heat and add vanilla extract.
- In a bowl, whisk egg yolks and sugar until well-combined. While whisking constantly, gradually drizzle in the hot cream. Make sure to do this slowly to avoid scrambling the eggs.
- Strain the mixture through a fine mesh sieve into a measuring cup.
- Divide the mixture equally in ramekins and place them in a baking dish.
- Pour freshly boiled hot water into the baking dish until about halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Pop it in the oven and bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until the centres wobble slightly.
- Remove from the oven and carefully transfer the ramekins onto a wire rack to cool to room temperature.
- Refrigerate them for at least 2 hours to let the custard set.
- Just before serving, sprinkle a thin layer of sugar on top of each custard.
- Place ramekins on a baking sheet (no need for a water bath this time), pop it in the oven and broil for about 5 to 6 minutes until the sugar is caramelized.
- Enjoy right away or store in the refrigerator for up to 1 hour before serving.
- You can make the custard ahead of time and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days until you’re ready to serve.
- Add fruits like strawberries, blueberries or both as toppings for some extra freshness and an extra pop of colour.
- An alternative to broiling is to heat the back of a metal spoon and gently place it on the sugar topping, letting it melt. Do this several times until the surface is nicely caramelized.
So what are you waiting for? Make this heavenly creme brulee for yourself and prepare to indulge in a delicious treat this week ?
Want more desserts to make? These recipes are perfect for you:
- This Easy No-Bake Lotus Biscoff Cheesecake Is A Dessert Lover’s Dream
- Japanese Cheesecake Recipe: Make This Irresistibly Light & Fluffy Dessert
- Treat Yourself To This Easy & Delicious Portuguese Egg Tart Recipe