While Singapore's plans for a proposed air travel bubble with Hong Kong have been pushed back until after Christmas 2020, the good news for avid travellers is that the country is still looking for potential countries to create future air travel bubbles with. However no confirmed plans are known to be in the pipeline yet, so we'll have to see what 2021 brings.
What countries could be next after Hong Kong?
Transport Minister Ong Ye Kung has recently floated the idea of Australia, Brunei, China, New Zealand and Vietnam as being next in line as visitors from these countries are already allowed short-term entry into Singapore with minimal restrictions. ? Plus they're some of the countries that have had the most comprehensive public health strategies for dealing with COVID-19!
P.S. Curious what air travel will be like from now on? We got to board an upgraded Scoot plane recently to see their latest safety and hygiene measures. Check out what the future of flying might look like!
What does this mean for air travel in the future?
Similar to the HK-SG travel bubble, future travel bubble agreements may include the following:
- Requirements to apply for specific air travel passes or permits
- Needing to obtain a negative COVID-19 PCR test result before departure
- Getting rapid tested (and testing negative!) upon arrival
- Travellers not needing to serve stay-home notice/full quarantine upon arrival
- As vaccines are tested, developed, and released, some airlines or governments may even require travellers to get vaccinated before travelling
While these plans are still up in the air right now (pun intended ?) we're hopeful that things will get better in 2021 and borders will begin to open up again once the situation on both ends has stabilised.
To satisfy your wanderlust in the meantime, check out these Muslim-friendly guides and start dreaming of your future getaways:
- 8 Dream Destinations In Australia For Every Type Of Traveller (You can read this in Bahasa too!)
- A First-Timer's Guide To Brunei: 5 Things You Have To Do
- 10 Amazing Halal Eateries In Shanghai For Every Craving
- 9 Essential Tips For First-Time Visitors To New Zealand
- The 7D6N First-Timer's Muslim-Friendly Itinerary To Vietnam
What countries are you hoping for Singapore to have a travel bubble with? How do you think travel bubbles will shape air travel in the future? Head to our Facebook community to start the conversation and let us know! ?