If you've been to Japan, you've probably made plenty of pit-stops at one of the many convenience stores (or konbini) scattered across the country, like 7-Eleven, Family Mart and Lawson. And there's nothing quite like the array of foods and snacks available at the konbini
. One of the most famous ones that's much loved by locals and travellers alike is the Japanese egg sandwich (or tamago sando). While there are many varieties of sandwiches sold at konbini, the tamago sando is super popular! And if you've ever wanted to try it, you can now recreate it right at home with this easy halal Japanese egg sandwich recipe.
Ingredients (for 2 servings):
- 4 slices Japanese Milk Bread (also known as Hokkaido Milk Bread). Alternatively, brioche bread would work well too!
- 3 large eggs (room temperature)
- 2 - 3 tablespoons Kewpie Mayonnaise (an essential ingredient! You can find halal-certified Kewpie mayonnaise in local supermarkets easily).
- 2 tsp milk
- ¼ tsp dijon mustard (optional)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Prepared your eggs. Bring a small pot of water to a boil, then gently lower in the eggs and set a timer for 9 minutes. Once the time is up, remove the eggs and place them in a bowl of ice water. Dry and peel the eggs and place them in a medium bowl.
- Mash the eggs using a fork (if you prefer a more textured egg filling you can instead chop the eggs with a nice or egg slicer until it reaches your desired consistency).
- In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, milk and mustard if using. Mix well, then add to the eggs. Combine everything together. Season to taste.
- Butter your slices of bread. Divide the filling and spread evenly on two of the bread slices. Use the remaining slices of bread to top them.
- Trim the edges if you prefer, and slice diagonally. Enjoy!
Tamago sando is a super easy snack that anyone can make, especially since the ingredients are easily available at supermarkets! It's time to make this yummy sandwich to enjoy at home 😉