Purin is a popular Japanese custard pudding that is similar to the classic flan or creme caramel. It's creamy, smooth and rich in flavour - perfect as an after dinner dessert or even just a snack to satisfy your sweet tooth cravings. If you've ever tried baking a Japanese cheesecake or a French souffle before, then whipping up this decadent treat at home will be a walk in the park for you. So, check out this easy halal purin recipe below and let's get to baking! ?
Ingredients (serves 4)
For the custard
- 1 ½ cup milk
- 3 large eggs
- 4 tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla essence
For the caramel sauce
- 3 tbsp water
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 4 pudding moulds or ramekins
- For the caramel sauce: Add sugar and water into a saucepan over medium-high heat until all the sugar is dissolved.
- Keep cooking the mixture until it turns into golden brown.
- Remove from heat and pour into pudding moulds (or ramekins). Set aside for further use. Preheat oven to 150
- For the custard: Pour milk into a jug and microwave it for about 1 minute and 30 seconds to heat it up.
- In a bowl, combine egg, sugar and vanilla essence together. Then add the warm milk to the egg mixture gradually and stir to combine.
- Using a sieve or a strainer, strain the custard.
- Pour the mixture equally into the pudding moulds, on top of the caramel sauce. Place the moulds in a shallow pan and add 3 to 4 cups of hot water into the pan. It should come up about halfway of the moulds. Check out how Nino’s Home does it in the video below:
- Bake at 150 for about 50 minutes. Remove pan from the oven and refrigerate the moulds for at least 1 hour or up to 4 hours.
- Serve chilled and enjoy!
With just a few basic ingredients and a couple of simple steps, you'll be able to dig into this creamy Japanese custard pudding at home anytime you want ?