Exploring various types of cakes is always a joy especially if you’re a huge dessert lover like us - from fluffy Japanese cheesecakes to decadent Victoria sponge cakes. Today, we’ll be heading Down Under where a classic Australian treat awaits us: lamingtons ? Known as one of the most popular local specialties, this moist butter sponge cake that’s dipped in chocolate and coated with shredded coconut is an absolute dream to bite into. And while you won’t be able to fly to Australia anytime soon, you can certainly make this fantastic dessert yourself with this easy halal lamington recipe!
Ingredients (yields 12)
For the sponge cake
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup caster sugar
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 tbsp butter
For the chocolate icing
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- ½ cup milk
- 2 cups shredded coconut
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease and line a baking square pan with parchment paper, lightly grease the inside of the paper as well.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine sifted flour, cornstarch and baking powder. Set it aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk eggs with a mixer and once it starts becoming thick and foamy, add one tablespoon of sugar at a time and while continuing to whisk. Beat the eggs for about 5 to 8 minutes until you’re able to form a pattern on top of the mixture and it stays for a couple of seconds before disappearing.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, add milk and butter. Then heat for about 30 seconds until everything is melted. Set aside and let it cool for a bit.
- Gently add the flour mixture with the eggs and pour the melted butter mixture down the sides of the bowl. Carefully fold everything in but don’t overmix so that you don’t lose all the air that’s been whipped into the eggs.
- Pour the batter into the pan, pop it into the oven and bake for about 20 to 23 minutes. You’ll know it’s done when you lightly touch the top and it springs back up.
- Remove from the oven and leave it to cool completely.
- Prepare the chocolate icing by sifting cocoa powder and powdered sugar. Stir in melted butter and milk until the chocolate is smooth.
- With your sponge cake, divide into 12 equal squares. Then, dip each piece of cake into the chocolate icing, letting any excess drip back into the bowl. Sprinkle shredded coconut over the cake until it’s fully covered.
- Repeat step 9 with the remaining squares of cake. Serve and enjoy!
Whether you’re trying to expand your baking horizons or simply curious for a taste of a classic Australian treat, this lamington recipe is perfect for you. But if you want more desserts like this, make sure to check out this roundup of simple and delicious cake recipes you can make at home ?