[Updated 9 June 2021]
With many people staying home during the pandemic, more of us are learning to bake desserts! If you're looking to treat yourself to something delicious, why not use this easy fudgy brownies recipe? Featuring simple ingredients and not much effort to do them, you'll have this sweet dessert ready in no time.
Enough for 9 or 16 pieces, depending on how small you cut your brownies
- 200g semisweet chocolate (you can use a dark chocolate bar with 60-70% cocoa content. Don't use those with a higher cocoa content as it may result in a more bitter brownie. Also, the better the chocolate quality the better the brownie!)
- 170g butter
- 150g sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla essence or non-alcoholic pure vanilla
- 95g (or 3/4 cup) all-purpose flour
- 25g (or 1/4 cup) cocoa powder (unsweetened)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Melt the butter in a pot over the stove on low heat, mixing regularly so it doesn't burn. Once it's melted turn the stove off.
- Chop your chocolate bar into small pieces. Reserve half, while putting the other half of the chopped pieces into a microwave-safe jug or bowl. Microwave at 15-second increments, stirring each time in between until all the chocolate is fully melted into a thick syrup.
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees celsius. Grease an 8x8 baking tine and line with baking paper (use enough baking paper so there's a bit of extra overhang on the sides - it'll make it easier to pull out the brownies later).
- Pour the melted butter into a large bowl. Add the sugar. Using a hand mixer, beat the melted butter and sugar until well combined (the residual heat from the melted butter should help get it into a paste-like consistency).
- Add the eggs and the vanilla. Continue beating the mixture for a few minutes until it's well incorporated and the mixture turns paler in colour and fluffier in texture.
- Add the melted chocolate (making sure it's lukewarm and not hot, so it doesn't end up cooking the eggs), and mix in.
- Sift the flour, cocoa powder and salt into the mixture. Then, using a spatula, fold in gently until just combined and there are no more dry clumps.
- Add the remaining chopped chocolate and fold in.
- Pour your batter into your baking tin and even it out using your spatula.
- Bake for 20 - 25 minutes. If you prefer your brownies gooey, take them out at 20 minutes, if not, let them bake for longer (they centre will dry out the longer you leave them in).
- Let them cool before removing and cutting them to your desired size. Serve with ice cream for an extra indulgent treat 🤤
Brownies are a super easy treat that can be ready in less than hour - there's no excuse not to make these! Treat yourself to this chocolatey dessert this weekend or make it for your family! For more inspirations, check out easy meals you can prepare for your family at home
or simple chocolate dessert recipes for a taste around the world