During Ramadan, it's very likely for you to see pictures and videos of homemade tepung pelita posted all over social media. Whenever this two-layered kuih made of pandan custard and coconut milk pops up on your screen, it makes you yearn for a bite. So why not join the bandwagon and get to making some tepung pelita yourself using this easy recipe 😃
Ingredients (yields 30)
- 1 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 cuprice flour
- 10pandan leaves
- 4 cups water
- 4 cups coconut milk
- 5 tbsp rice flour
- 1 tbsp salt
- In a blender, blend pandan leaves and water. Strain the mixture to get pandan extract and cook it in a pot over medium-high heat. Add sugar and whisk for 1 minute until the sugars has dissolved.
- While stirring, add spoonfuls of rice flour at a time. Keep stirring and cook until the mixture thickens. At this point, you should some steam from the batter.
- Scoop some of the pandan batter into a container of your choice. This can be small plastic cups or banana/pandan leaf boats. Check out this video to see how you to fold one!
- Sprinkle some sugar on top of the pandan in each container.
- In aseparate pot, heat coconut milk over medium-high heat. Then add rice flour and salt - keep stirring until the milk thickens.
- Once the batter is steaming, immediately pour it over the pandan layer.
- Store in refrigerator and serve it chilled.
For more easy recipes to make at home during Ramdan, make sure to check these out: