Your Hari Raya goodies wouldn't be complete without having a tub of kuih makmur at home. This melt-in-your-mouth cookie is an absolute delight to eat - just pop one into your mouth and you'll be craving for the next piece before even finishing the first! For this recipe, it's best to prep at least a day in advance (or even a week or two) so that the rest of the steps will be nothing but shaping, baking and enjoying as many kuih makmur as you want ?
- 250g all-purpose flour, toasted
- 125g ground nuts
- 50g castor sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 100g ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 egg
- 50g powdered milk
- 60g icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 150°C and bake the ground nuts for 30 minutes.
- Once done, remove peanut skin.
- Blend the peanuts in a food processor but not until they become as fine as powder. You want to keep some texture to them.
- Store the blended nuts in an airtight container until further use.
- In a wok, toast the flour on low heat for about 15 minutes until it turns into a pale yellow.
- After it has been thoroughly toasted, let it cool before storing in a separate airtight container.
Making, shaping & coating the cookie
- Heat oven to 160°C and line a baking sheet with baking paper.
- Mix the ground nuts with sugar and salt, and combine well.
- In a mixing bowl, sift the toasted flour and create a well in the middle.
- Melt ghee in the microwave for 30 seconds on high heat. Then pour the melted ghee in the well of the flour.
- Using a spoon, mix the flour and ghee to form a dough.
- Beat the egg and mix it into the dough. Add the crushed nuts and sugar mix until well-combined.
- Pinch off a small handful of dough and shape it into bite-sized balls (roughly 2cm wide).
- After all the dough has been used up, place the balls on the baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and set them aside to cool off a little.
- Prepare the milk coating by whisking together milk powder and icing sugar.
- While the cookies are still warm, roll them in the milk coating thoroughly, making sure that they generously coated.
- Allow the cookies to cool fully before storing and enjoying.