[Updated on 1 June 2021]
Malaysians are going through some tough times during the COVID-19 pandemic. While we're doing our part to stay at home and practice social distancing, you might be wondering where to take a COVID-19 test in Penang? If you're experiencing COVID-19 symptoms or planning to take a COVID-19 test for work or travel purposes, here's where you should go.
What are the symptoms of COVID-19?
COVID-19 is a respiratory infection that has been declared as a Public Health Emergency of International Concern by the World Health Organisation (WHO). According to Kementerian Kesihatan Malaysia
(Ministry of Health Malaysia), these are the common symptoms of COVID-19.
- Dry cough
- Aches and pains
- Nasal congestion
- Runny nose
- Sore throat
Can I visit any hospital if I'm showing symptoms of COVID-19?
According to Malay Mail
, you need to be classified as a case before you can take a COVID-19 test in a screening hospital in Penang. You need to fulfil the following criteria:
- Sporadic case: A patient who tested positive for COVID-19 but has not travelled to any foreign country nor in close contact with a COVID-19 patient within 14 days before the start of the illness.
- PUI (Patient Under Investigation): A patient with an acute respiratory infection (shortnessof breath, cough or sore throat) with or without fever. This patient also travelled to a foreign country, in close contact with a COVID-19 patient or attended an event associated with a known COVID-19 outbreak within 14 days before the start of the illness
- Contact: A patient who is a close contact of a confirmed COVID-19 patient
If you're not classified as a 'case' but would like to undergo a COVID-19 screening for work, travel or other purposes, we've also listed some options for you.
Where can I take a COVID-19 test in Penang?
A) If you're classified as a 'case' and need to undergo a COVID-19 screening
Credit: Kementerian Kesihatan Malaysia on Facebook
In February 2020, the Ministry of Health Malaysia released a list of designated hospitals that are tasked for COVID-19 screenings and managing patients with COVID-19. If you're living outside of Penang, you can refer to the full list here
Do note that you need to be classified as a 'case' (a sporadic case, PUI or contact) before visiting the following hospitals.
Screening hospitals in Penang
Admitting hospitals in Penang (for PUI and confirmed COVID-19 cases)
- Hospital Pulau Pinang
- Hospital Seberang Jaya
- Hospital Bukit Mertajam
- Hospital Kepala Batas
B) If you're not classified as a 'case' but want to undergo a COVID-19 screening
If you're not showing any symptoms of COVID-19 but are required to take a COVID-19 test in Penang
for work, travel and other purposes, you can reach out to the private medical providers. On 28 May 2021, the Ministry of Health Malaysia released a list of private clinics and hospitals that are authorised to perform COVID-19 screenings. If you're living outside of Penang, click here for a full list ofregistered clinics and hospitals for COVID-19 tests in Malaysia
: The following list was last updated on 28 May 2021
by the Ministry of Health Malaysia. Since the list is updated from time to time, we recommend checking their website
in advance before your visit.
Private clinics for COVID-19 tests in Penang
Private hospitals for COVID-19 tests in Penang
- Klinik Menara, Persiaran Kelicap
- Plux Health Clinic, Persiaran Kelicap
- O2 Klinik, Jalan Tan Sri Teh Ewe Lim
- Regen Clinic, Jalan Gottlieb
- BP Diagnostic Centre Sdn Bhd, Ideal Avenue
- Tejani Medical Clinic, Jalan Wee Hein Tze
- Klinik Careist, Lorong Seri Impian 1
- O2 Klinik, Jalan Sentral Jaya
- Klinik Symphony, Jalan Lembah Permai 4
- Klinik IHealth, Jalan Lembah Permai 4
- Klinik Health Plus, Jalan Sungai Dua
- Klinik Harmony, Lorong Seri Jaya
- O2 Klinik, Jalan Air Itam
- Klinik Mediviron, Medan Angsana Satu
- Klinik Sri Pinang Dan Surgeri, Lebuh Sungai Pinang 1
- Klinik IHealth, Bayan Point Complex
- Klinik Medilife,Lintang Sungai Tiram 5
- BP Diagnostik, Jalan New Ferry
- Poliklinik HL, Jalan Bukit Minyak 3
- Klinik Mediviron Tanjung Tokong, Jalan Desiran Tanjung Vintage
- Clinic Medi-Genesis, Jalan Keruing
- Klinik Dr Dashindar Singh, Jalan Bukit Minyak
- BP Diagnostik, Jalan Aston
- H Clinic, Jalan Paya Terubong
- BP Diagnostik, Menara Penang Garden
- Klinik Singapore, Jalan Paya Terubong
- Klinik Caring, Jalan Sejahtera Ria
- Klinik Singapore, Pan Palace, 2A Lengkok Nipah
- Polyclinic GY, Jalan New Ferry
- Hibari Clinic, Gurney Paragon
- IG Clinic, Lorong Mesra Permai 4
- Qualitas Health Klinik Sentosa, Lengkok Dumbar
- Klinik Aman, Jalan Datuk Keramat
- Klinik Aman, Jalan Sultan Azlan Shah
- Klinik Aman, D'Piazza Mall
- Click here for a full list of registered private clinics for COVID-19 tests in Penang.
While we're doing our part by staying at home and practising social distancing, we hope this
- Loh Guan Lye Specialists Centre, Logan Road
- Georgetown Specialist Hospital, Jalan Masjid Negeri
- Pantai Hospital Penang, Jalan Tengah
- Gleneagles Penang, Jalan Pangkor
- KPJ Penang Specialist Hospital, Jalan Perda Utama
- Bagan Specialist Centre, Jalan Bagan Satu
- Hospital Lam Wah Ee, Jalan Tan Sri Teh Ewe Lim
- Penang Adventist Hospital, Jalan Burma
- Mount Miriam Cancer Hospital, Jalan Bulan
- Island Hospital, Jalan Macalister
list of places to get COVID-19 tests in Penang will be helpful to those who need them. For more ways to stay safe during the pandemic, check out our recommended reads below.