Hari Raya celebrations are here and we are busy planning the perfect menu for our families. If you're new to the whole cooking game, don't worry! These beginner-friendly recipes are pretty easy to follow and won't take much time to prepare. It is also fuss-free because it means fewer dishes to clean up! With so much cooking going on during Ramadan and Raya, you’ll probably be visiting the supermarket pretty often! Drop by Giant to get everything you need all under one roof— including fresh ingredients, home essentials and cleaning products — and enjoy great savings with Giant’s WOW deals! On top of their amazing WOW deals, Giant also has Lower Prices That Last offering everyday essentials at unbelievably affordable prices so you can stretch your dollar with every visit. From making rendang to getting your home Raya-ready, Giant’s got you covered! Ready to start cooking? Here are 8 recipes that we have picked for you to try out this festive season.
P.S. Our Hello Ramadan 2023 website is now LIVE! Check it out and sign up to enjoy exclusive content and rewards for members!
Follow us on Telegram for the latest updates: https://bit.ly/3LnFN1F
8 Budget-Friendly & Delicious Recipes For Raya
1. Lamb Cube RendangA must-have during Raya celebrations every year, it’s time to whip up this flavourful and tasty dish for your friends and family! Rendang is traditionally cooked for hours but this one-pot recipe takes less time and tastes good. The chunks of meat are flavoured with freshly made spice paste, then cooked until tender in the pressure cooker while simmered in coconut milk until caramelized. HHWT Tip: Looking to save both time and money while whipping up this dish? You definitely wouldn’t want to miss out on this WOW deal and get your lamb cube for just S$2.30/100g (UP: S$2.90/100g) from Giant’s physical and online stores! Ingredients:1 cup of water250g of lamb cube (S$2.30/100g)400g chopped Holland Potatoes (S$1.10)1 Packet of Mak Nyonya Instant Rendang Sauce(S$1.80)Instructions:
- In a pot, stir-fry the marinated mutton for 9-10 mins on medium-low heat.2. Add water till the meat is fully immersed. Add half a packet of the Rendang Sauce and mix well. Bring to a boil on high heat.3. Lower heat and simmer the meat till desired texture. Stir occasionally while simmering and add water intermittently into the pot. Add chopped potatoes gradually.4. Add the remainder of Rendang Sauce into the pot and mix well about 10 mins before the end of cooking time. Continue to simmer till the gravy is slightly thickened and glossy to desired texture and taste.
2. Kinder Bueno Peanut Butter Mug CakeAre you one of those who loves to start with desserts first? Well, here’s something you’d love! This Kinder Bueno Peanut Butter Mug Cake is perfect if you want something sweet but quick! The hazelnut flavour from everyone’s favourite Kinder Bueno chocolate bar paired with the creamy peanut butter from Meadows makes a sinful treat.Psst... Giant’s WOW deal lets you enjoy a whole pack of Kinder Bueno Chocolate at just S$11.60 instead of its original price of S$15.60! It’s only available for a limited time so don’t miss out on such a huge bargain! ?Ingredients:1 bar of Kinder Bueno chocolate (S$11.60)1 tablespoon Meadows Creamy Peanut Butter (S$4.30)1/4 cup Prima Plain Flour (S$2.20)2 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder2 Tablespoons granulated sugar1/4 teaspoon baking powder1/4 cup milk2 tablespoons butter, meltedInstructions:1. Mix all dry ingredients in a large coffee mug.2. Add wet ingredients and a crushed bar of Kinder Bueno chocolate. Mix well.3. Put in the microwave for 2-3 minutes.4. Allow to cool slightly and enjoy!
3. One-Pot Curry ChickenCurry Chicken is a great substitute for your guests who can’t consume red meat. This recipe is super easy to follow and you can serve it with rice or naan bread… or both! Feel free to alter the recipe to fit your taste buds if needed.Ingredients:1 Tablespoon Giant Oil (S$3.90)1 Onion sliced1 Tomato diced1 Tablespoon Ginger + Garlic500 grams skinless Chicken parts300 ml Kara Coconut Cream (S$0.80)200 ml Meadows Chicken Broth (Buy 2 @ S$5)3 Tablespoon Garam Masala1/4 Teaspoon Black PepperSalt to tasteCilantro aka Coriander greensInstructions:1. Add the oil to a cooking pot and heat up. Throw in the sliced onion and tomato. Stir fry until fragrant.2. Reduce the heat and add the ginger and garlic. Stir on low heat to cook the ingredients.3. Add your chicken pieces and stir fry for another 2-3 minutes.4. Pour in the Coconut milk.5. Add the garam masala and black pepper. Mix everything well.6. Cook on low heat for about 15 minutes uncovered or until the curry has reduced and thickened.7. Take off from the heat and sprinkle some cilantro before serving.
4. Roti Kirai / Roti JalaCurry chicken and Roti Kirai is a match made in heaven. If you're looking for a side to go with your curry dish, look no further. These “net pancakes” go well with any curry dish you can imagine, and it's one of the favourite dishes served on Hari Raya.Ingredients:2 cups Prima Plain Flour (S$2.20)1 cup water1 cup Kara Coconut Cream (S$0.80)2 Giant Corn & Soya Eggs (S$3.00)1 teaspoon salt1 teaspoon turmericvegetable oil, as neededInstructions:1. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, water, coconut milk, eggs, salt, and turmeric until smooth.2. Using a sharp-pointed knife, poke three holes in the cap of a plastic water bottle.3. Fill the bottle with your pancake batter.4. Heat a very lightly greased nonstick skillet over medium heat. Working quickly, invert the water bottle and drizzle the batter in quick circular motions forming a netlike pattern.5. Allow the pancake to cook for one to two minutes. Do not flip and watch closely so it doesn’t burn.6. Remove from the pan, fold in the sides, and roll it up.
5. Tomato Fried RiceIf you love fried rice, this recipe will make it even better and healthier! The mixture of flavors between tomato, all the spices and your preferred meat will make this dish a tantalizing treat and all you need is a single pot or rice cooker to make this work.Ingredients:2 cups Jasmine Rice (S$9.50)200g diced skinless chicken breast1/2 cup Kara Coconut Cream (S$0.80)3 Tbsp coconut oil2 Tbsp tomato paste1 cup water2 large tomatoes, diced1 large cinnamon stick1 star anise3 cloves3 cardamom2 pandan leaves knotted1 large onion finely chopped3 cloves garlic minced (S$1.85)1 tsp sugar1 tsp saltInstructions:1. Preheat a heavy-bottom pot with a tight-fitting lid. Add coconut oil and let it sizzle.2. Saute onion and garlic for 3 minutes, until fragrant.3. Add the cloves, star anise, cardamom, cinnamon stick, pandan leaves, and tomato paste. Saute for 1 minute. 4. Add the chicken breast pieces and saute until they are slightly cooked.5. Add the washed rice, seasonings, and then pour in the water and coconut milk. Stir to combine.6. Bring the liquid to a simmer and then close the lid and lower the heat to low. Cook for the next 20 minutes. 7. Uncover the lid, stir in the diced tomatoes and let it sit for another 5 minutes until the rice turns fluffy.
6. Sayur LodehAnother classic Raya dish is Sayur Lodeh, which consists of two main ingredients – vegetables and coconut milk. These ingredients are cooked together to create a soup-like gravy that goes well with rice or ketupat, and can also be eaten on its own as a relish.Ingredients:1 packet Sayur Lodeh Paste350ml Water1/4 cabbage, diced (S$1.20)1 carrot, peeled (S$1.50)1 Asian eggplant40g long beans, stripped1 pc square bean curdSambal Chili (Optional)Instructions:1. Add Sayur Lodeh Paste into 350 ml of water. Stir well and bring to a boil.2. Add all vegetables. Cover pot and bring to boil.3. In a separate bowl, stir Sayur Lodeh Paste into 65 ml of warm water. Stir and mix well. Set aside.4. When vegetables are tender, add Sayur Lodeh mixture. Mix well, cover the pot and bring to a boil. Lower fire and simmer for another 10 mins.5. Serve immediately. Top with desired amount of Sambal Chili.
7. Singapore Nyonya Laksa with ScallopsThe recipe for laksa varies from one area to another, but with the existence of instant pastes, anyone can whip a bowl of Singapore Laksa successfully. If you want to make it more nutritious and delicious, simply switch the coconut cream to fresh milk and increase the amount of vegetables!Ingredients:1 packet Mak Nyonya Instant Curry Laksa Sauce (S$1.80)250ml Kara Coconut Cream (S$0.80)200gm Hokkaido Scallops 200gm Prawns (2 for S$30)A few pieces of deep fried firm beancurdA few pieces of laksa leaves800ml waterThick rice vermicelliFresh bean sproutsSambal Chili (Optional)Instructions:1. Add thick rice vermicelli and bean sprouts into a pot and bring to a boil. Once cooked, drain and set it aside.2. Fry Nyonya Curry Laksa Sauce until fragrant. Add in water, mix well and bring to a boil. 3. Then, add in prawns, scallops and fried bean curds, simmer until cooked. 4. Add in coconut cream and laksa leaves, bring to boil. 5. Serve with hard boiled egg (optional) in a soup bowl.
8. Cola Mocktail FloatFeeling full from all the amazing food? Here’s something refreshing to wash down all the spicy dishes. This Cola Mocktail Float is a drink which will be loved by kids and adults alike, and it’s super easy to make!Ingredients:150ml of Coca-Cola 1 tsp of Fruit Tree No Sugar Cranberry & Pomegranate Juice (S$2.25) 1 scoop Meadows Vanilla Ice Cream (S$8.90)1/4 cup of Ice Instructions:1. Add 1/4 cup of ice to a tall glass.2. Fill 3/4 of the glass with Coca-Cola.3. Add 1 tsp of Cranberry & Pomegranate Juice. Stir it well4. Top it with a scoop of Vanilla Ice Cream and serve chilled.We hope you’ll give these easy-to-follow recipes a try! Best of all, you can get all the ingredients and essentials you need at Giant; your one-stop destination for all Ramadan and Raya needs. Prepare for Raya with Giant’s WOW deals happening from now till 28 April 2022, or enjoy certain items with Lower Prices That Last all year round. Giant definitely has everything you need. Don’t forget to check out Giant’s website, cart app or follow them on Facebook and Instagram to get the latest scoop on their big promotions!So what are you waiting for? Shop now at any Giant store nearest to you and whip up these amazing recipes!