Updated 26 November 2019Attention: We are officially a few days away from December! Yes, you read that right. In just a blink of an eye, 2019 has just flown past us like that. Credit: GIPHYWhile there's only a month left in the year, there are still many exciting things to look forward to ? If you’re planning a trip to Singapore this coming December or if you’re not planning to travel this year (for all you Singaporeans!), here’s a comprehensive list of exciting things to do to end 2019 with a bang! P.S. If you’re flying into Singapore, check out this guide to Jewel Changi airport and this list of various halal eateries they have to offer.
1. Admire Stunning Digital DisplaysCredit: teamLab
Brought to you by teamLab Borderless, the one-of-a-kind digital art museum that creates some of the most stunning displays across the world, the ingenious team will be bringing their creations to Singapore this coming year-end! In honour of the Singapore Bicentennial, teamLab will be hosting a special exhibition at the beautiful Gardens By the Bay ?
Get your phones ready as there is a wealth of Insta-worthy pictures for you to snap! With various stunning exhibits like Autonomous Resonating Life on the Water and Resonating Trees - Dragonfly Lake, Flowers and People - Giant Lattice Mass
and Animals of Flowers, Symbiotic Lives
, you'll be filled with wonder by these breathtaking digital displays.
Titled #futuretogether the exhibition will be held from 16 January to 31 March 2020 with an indoor and an outdoor portion. The indoor portion is free for Singaporean Residents (including Permanent Residents and Employment Pass, Work Permit, Dependent Pass holders) while visitors will have to pay SGD10. The outdoor artworks, however, are free of charge for everyone to enjoy! In addition, visitors can see the outdoor artworks from as early as 15 December 2019. To note, details of ticket sales have not been announced yet - do check the Gardens By The Bay website
to stay updated!).
2. Have A Frozen Wonderland ExperienceCredit: Changi Airport
Inspired by the newly released Disney blockbuster - Frozen 2
, Changi Airport is hosting its yearly festive event with exciting performances and stunning decorations that you won't want to miss!
From impressive backdrops that look like they're straight out of the movie to stalls selling fun merchandise, there's plenty of excitement that awaits you at A Frozen Wonderland at Changi
? While you're there, don't forget to catch a special appearance by Elsa, Anna and Olaf just for opening night! For future shows, it'll be a light-and-sound extravaganza featuring life-sized statues of your favourite characters. The show is free for all, and the stage is even raised for easier viewing.
Credit: Changi Airport
Add more wonder to the thrilling experience by making a stop at Terminal 2 where you can find a larger-than-life-sized Olaf standing at an impressive height of 3m ? A picture of this beloved character of that sheer size will make your time at this event a memorable one.
3. Jam Out At A U2 Concert Credit: @edwinkphotos on Instagram The Grammy-winning rock band from Dublin, U2, will be having their first ever concert at the National Stadium as part of The Joshua Tree Tour 2019. Be amongst the crowd on December 1 and sing along to some of their greatest hits like 'Pride (In the Name of Love) and 'Where the Streets Have No Name'.
4. Sway To The Music Of Star Wars
That's right Star Wars' fans! This is your perfect chance to musically live out your dreams of a galaxy far, far away ? Mark your calendars for December 19 and 20 and let the Singapore Symphony Orchestra bring you on an unforgettable journey of iconic moments of the beloved franchise. From the Imperial March
to Leia's Theme
, these captivating tunes composed by musical genius John Williams is a treat for anyone who's looking for a one-of-a-kind experience.
5. Have An Illuminating Experience At The Singapore ZooCredit: @insynced on InstagramAfter the success of its first season, Rainforest Lumina - a multimedia interactive night walk - is back and better than before! From virtual characters to beautiful lighting designs, expect to be amazed at this audio-visual experience that feels like a whole other universe ? Whether you come with your family, friends, or as a couple, Rainforest Lumina is guaranteed to fill your night with magical wonders.
6. Go Behind-The-Scenes Of Disney AnimationCredit: ArtScience Museum on FacebookThe Disney: Magic of Animation at the ArtScience Museum is a must-visit for all Disney lovers! Running from October 26 to 29 March of 2020, this exhibit is showing for the first time in Southeast Asia. With displays from over 90 years of Disney animation, timeless classics like Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937) and The Lion King (1994) will unlock all the nostalgia in your heart. You can also expect to see art pieces from more recent films like Zootopia (2016), Moana (2016) and even original artworks of the much-anticipated Frozen 2 (2019) ❄️
7. Enjoy Wondrous Christmas FestivitiesCredit: @blushblushtomato on InstagramSoak in the festive Christmas season at one of Singapore’s biggest year-end celebratory events: Christmas Wonderland. Enjoy live entertainment, carnival rides and games while admiring the dazzling lights and sculptures! You can also experience what a European Christmas is like at their Festive Market that mimics the style of those in Hyde Park in London and the Avenue des Champs-Élysées in Paris. Featuring 24 specially designed wooden huts, get your hands on all kinds of Christmas treats and handmade crafts there ? Credit: @jtwonggg on InstagramHave more fun with family and friends at Singapore’s biggest funfair during this festive season! With over 50 adrenaline-filled rides and entertaining performances, this massive adult playground is a place for anyone who enjoys a good time ?
8. Watch World-Renowned MusicalsCredit: @annacarinabuchegger on InstagramIf you love musicals and cats, we’ve got news for you. CATS, the critically-acclaimed musical is coming to town from December 27 to December 29. Watch the spectacle of dancing cats on stage and let the musical’s iconic song, ‘Memory’ serenade you. Don’t miss the chance to catch the musical before it makes its feature film debut starring James Corden, Taylor Swift, Jennifer Hudson, Sir Ian McKellen and Dame Judi Dench. Credit: @crutchiedeservedbetter on InstagramLooking to check more Broadway shows off your list? Sweeney Todd is also making its way to town from November 28 to December 8. This musical masterpiece is special for two reasons - this is its first premiere and it marks the glorious return of Tony and Olivier Award-winning actress Lea Salonga to Singapore! ?
9. Welcome 2020 With Spectacular FireworksCredit: @ng_y_h on InstagramRing in the New Year at the Marina Bay Singapore Countdown and celebrate big with this annual event. People from all over the world gather here to usher in the new year with some of the most beautiful fireworks lighting up the city skyline. No matter where you watch it from, the colourful spectacle promises an unforgettable moment with family and friends. While you wait for the clock to strike midnight, enjoy other festivities around the Bay such as musical performances, bazaars and carnivals. If you're feeling peckish from all the walking, make sure to hit these nearby halal eateries
10. Admire The Beauty Of Visual Contemporary ArtCredit: @stellatwt on InstagramIf you have a deep passion for the arts, you’re going to want to check out the scene at Singapore Biennale - an international contemporary visual arts exhibition. Hosted by The Singapore Art Museum, this year’s theme of “Every Step in the Right Direction” will explore the human condition and the feeling of hope. Previous years have showcased some of the most remarkable artworks and installations, so expect to find the same this year and have your Instagram feed be the envy of all ?And there you have it! From impressive digital art exhibitions to stunning firework displays, there’s something for everyone in Singapore this upcoming December. So, mark your calendars and make the last moments of 2019 count.