From the million-year-old rainforest to limestone hills, there are many heritage gems in Perak that are waiting to be discovered. A charming state in Malaysia, wander around the heritage sites and local kampungs to find stories that are not often written in our history books. If you’re looking for a short getaway that celebrates the heritage side of Perak, we have found a place for you!
Stay in a heritage boutique homestay
Situated in Lenggong, make your way to Rumah Tiang 16, a heritage boutique homestay in Perak that’s brimming with nostalgia and character. True to its name, this traditional Malay stilt house has 16 pillars and a glimpse of it is enough to relive childhood memories of your old kampung home.
Your stay will be part of the all-inclusive 3D2N Heritage Stay by Rumah Tiang 16, which is guided by Abdul Nasir Jalaludin, a former professional hotelier, who is passionate about putting his birthplace Lenggong on the tourist map. With three decades of hospitality experience, you’ll definitely be in good hands!
This homestay was featured on Travel and Leisure Asia magazine, in-flight magazines, local newspapers, and travel blogs. It was also nominated as Lenggong’s 1st and Only Heritage Boutique Accommodation by Rough Guides and Lonely Planet travel writer, Marco Ferrarese so it’ll be quite an experience!
Why should you visit Lenggong?
Shining the spotlight on Lenggong, Malaysia’s fourth and only Archaeological UNESCO Site that was inscribed in 2012, this heritage stay package will bring you closer to this world-class archaeological wonder in Perak.
Besides the million-year-old caves sites along the Perak River, Lenggong is also home to the Perak Man, Southeast Asia’s oldest (most complete) human skeleton that was discovered within Gua Gunung Runtuh cave, and the skeleton is said to be almost 11,000 years old! It also has other caves with prehistoric burials that unveil a significant part of human history in the region.
For a glimpse of the 3D2N Heritage Stay by Rumah Tiang 16 experience, here are some of the adventures you can expect!
- Start your day with a full ceremonial Malay-style welcome protocol followed by a home tour and an authentic traditional Malay lunch.
- Get acclimatized to Lenggong when you stroll through the forest by a mountain stream or enjoy a backwater village tour with an industry visit.
- As the day mellows, be a sport and wear a sarong (that’s provided for every guest) and savour a Heritage Pattani dinner for a gastronomic-time-tunnel experience.
- Before you go to sleep, don’t forget to put on some bedak sejuk (cooling powder facial mask that’s made from rice) as part of your pre-night traditional powder session.
- Wake up to a plate of delicious pek-nga, which is a local coconut pancake that comes with a savoury dip or other traditional breakfast delights.
- Step into the shoes of an archaeologist and experience the wonders of Lenggong Valley, the fourth UNESCO World Heritage Site. Explore the heritage caves, see the paleolithic stone tool workshop, visit the volcanic ash site and suevite rocks site.
- For lunch, sit comfortably in a ‘dangau’, a thatched roof hut in a local orchard. Savour a meal prepared using freshly harvested, fully-organic, and pesticide-free ingredients that are sourced from the garden and river.
- Get creative at the heritage arts and crafts tour where you’ll learn about the sago palm production, thatch roof making, and mengkuang mat weaving. You might get a chance to see a monkey plucking coconut too!
- Visit the Lenggong Valley Archaeological Museum to spot the ancient historical artifacts! Then, immerse yourself in a 23-minute beautifully narrated video presentation that puts all the puzzle pieces together. It’ll show you a side of Lenggong as a rare UNESCO site unlike any other!
- Wrap up your day with a scenic Lenggong’s backwater tour that includes a lake cruise as well as fishing experience. You can even enjoy a casual fisherman’s dinner menu that’s prepared using your catch of the day!
- Pack your photography gears and start your day with a delicious Bespoke Breakfast by Rumah Tiang 16, a tailored breakfast trip like no other!
- Bespoke Breakfast includes exploring the charming town of Lenggong on a vintage 1973 Jaguar Xj6 car where you’ll be chauffeur-driven to ‘hunt’ for traditional delicacies and dine at a secluded scenic spot - truly a breakfast with a view.
- Before departing home, get your final round of heritage experience that includes the making of traditional Bahulu (a Malay muffin baked in a coconut-husk fired oven) and/or bedak sejuk (our foremother’s beauty secret!)
Allowing you to fully immerse in the wonders of Lenggong, rest assured that your accommodation, meals and activities are covered in this package! The best part is, this experience is available all year round but advance reservation is highly encouraged. While this package is suitable for couples or small group getaways, they’re currently unable to accommodate single female travellers for this trip.
Besides the charming towns and scenic attractions, there’s so much to love about Lenggong in Perak. If you’re searching for a getaway that explores the heritage site of this Malaysian state, we hope you’ll have the best time at this 3D2N Heritage Stay by Rumah Tiang 16!
Rate: Starts at RM1,300 per double (include accommodation meals, and activities)
Address: Jalan Hj Md Nor, Kg Kubang Jambu, 33400 Lenggong, Perak Darul Ridzuan, Malaysia.
Contact: +6019 336 8807
This article is brought to you by Rumah Tiang 16