Ramadan is a special month of the year for millions of Muslims around the world, marked by daily fasting from dawn until sunset. While fasting is an essential part of Ramadan, it can also be challenging to maintain a healthy and balanced diet during the month. Dates are a perfect source of nutrients as it has natural sugar and fibres that are important when we’re fasting. Ramadan 2023 is here and we’ve come up with five easy-to-make recipes that use kurma milk!
For the best result, we recommend using MAGNOLIA Low Fat Milk with Kurma. Made with low-fat milk and real dates, MAGNOLIA Low Fat Milk with Kurma has no added sweeteners or additives and is 100% natural! You can find it at e-retailers and supermarkets (including FairPrice, Cold Storage, Giant and Sheng Shiong), minimarkets and selected provision stores.
P.S. Need more ideas on what to prepare for your Sahur and Iftar meals?Join our Hello Ramadan 2023 event for new recipe drops every week!
1. Coffee with MAGNOLIA Low Fat Milk with Kurma
Bring your coffee to new heights and replace your regular milk with Magnolia Low Fat Milk with Kurma for a natural energy boost that can help to improve mental focus and productivity. The natural sweetness of dates can also help to reduce the need for added sugars or sweeteners in your coffee, making it a healthier option compared to traditional coffee drinks! Additionally, the creamy and smooth texture of kurma milk can help to balance out the bitterness and acidity of coffee, resulting in a more enjoyable and satisfying coffee experience. Here’s how to prepare a tall glass of luscious and flavourful kurma milk coffee with MAGNOLIA Low Fat Milk with Kurma:
200ml black coffee
200ml of Magnolia Low Fat Milk with Kurma
Whipped cream (optional)
Chopped dates (optional)
Fill a glass with ice cubes.
Pour in the coffee and Magnolia Low Fat Milk with Kurma.
Top with whipped cream and chopped dates (optional)
2. Kurma Milk Pudding
Kurma milk pudding is a delicious and creamy dessert that originated in the Middle East. Made with dates, milk, sugar, and other ingredients, it has a rich, caramel-like flavour with a hint of nuttiness. It's a popular dessert throughout the Middle East and now you can make it yourself for that post-terawih dessert! Kurma milk pudding is a perfect dessert to indulge in after a spicy or heavy meal (perfect for iftar!), and it's sure to satisfy any sweet tooth.
- 200ml water
- 200ml MAGNOLIA Low Fat Milk with Kurma
- 1 tablespoon of white sugar
- 1 tablespoon of agar agar powder
- Turn on the stove to medium heat
- Add the sugar and the agar agar powder to a saucepan and stir well
- Add the MAGNOLIA Low Fat Milk with Kurma and water to the mixture and stir well
- Continue heating it on the stove until the mixture is boiling
- Turn off the stove and remove the saucepan from the heat
- Pour/scoop equal amounts into small containers
- Chill in the fridge till it solidifies
- Take it out from the fridge and invert it onto a plate
- Serve with caramel (optional)
3. Kurma Milk smoothie
Kurma milk smoothie is an excellent source of energy that is perfect for sahur especially when you can’t stomach rice early in the morning. Dates are a great source of natural sugars, which provide an instant energy boost. Milk and bananas also contain natural sugars and carbohydrates, making this smoothie an excellent option to start your day. Add in strawberries and mango for a super yummy drink! The best part is — you don’t have to pit the dates when you use MAGNOLIA Low Fat Milk with Kurma ?
- 200ml MAGNOLIA Low Fat Milk with Kurma
- 1 banana, sliced
- 3-4 strawberries
- ¼ mango
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract (alcohol-free)
- Ice cubes
- Add MAGNOLIA Low Fat Milk with Kurma to a blender along with the banana, strawberries, mango, cinnamon, and vanilla extract.
- Blend all the ingredients until smooth and creamy.
- Add some ice cubes to the blender and blend again until the mixture is well chilled and frothy.
- Pour the kurma milk smoothie into glasses and serve immediately.
- Enjoy this tasty and healthy smoothie as a refreshing sahur!
4. Kurma Banana Muffins
Kurma banana muffins are a delicious and nutritious treat that combines the sweet and nutty flavour of ripe bananas with the rich, caramel-like taste of red dates. The muffins are perfect for sahur as they are healthy and filling! The kurma banana muffins are also a great way to use up overripe bananas and add some extra nutrients to your diet.
- 1/3 cup or 80g of unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1/3 cup or 70g of white sugar
- 1 cup and 2 tablespoons or 140g of all-purpose flour/plain flour
- 1 large egg, approx 55g each
- 1 teaspoon or 5ml of vanilla essence
- 1 and 1/4 teaspoons or 5g of baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon or 1.4g of table salt
- 2 medium bananas (150g without peel)
- 1/2 cup of MAGNOLIA Low Fat Milk with Kurma
- 1/2 cup or 90g of walnuts
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees C or 350F and line your muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the butter and sugar until well incorporated (approx. 2 minutes).
- Subsequently, whisk in the egg, salt and vanilla until it is of a single consistency.
- Then, mix in the milk with kurma and mashed bananas.
- Fold in the remaining dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, walnuts) until the batter is of a single consistency.
- Then, distribute the batter evenly to approx. 10 muffin cups (2/3 full).
- Bake for about 20 – 24 minutes or until golden brown.
5. Kurma Milk Cake
Who says you can only drink kurma milk? You can also make kurma milk cake! It’s the perfect dessert for any occasion and is sure to satisfy your sweet tooth while providing a delicious and nutritious treat. We all know how dates are a great source of natural sugars and fibres, making this cake a healthier option for your Raya guests!
1 cup pitted dates
1/2 cup MAGNOLIA Low Fat Milk with Kurma
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Grease a 9-inch cake pan with butter and dust with flour, shaking off any excess.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Gradually add the flour mixture to the butter mixture, alternating with the MAGNOLIA Low Fat Milk with Kurma, and mixing until just combined.
- Fold in the chopped dates.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and smooth the top with a spatula.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool in the pan for 10 minutes before removing it to a wire rack to cool completely.
Having sahur is an important part of our fasting ritual and it’s important that we get a nourishing and filling meal to keep us going throughout the day! Why not make MAGNOLIA Low Fat Milk with Kurma a part of your Ramadan? Not only is it delicious on its own, but it’s also convenient to add to your sahur meal or a delicious treat for iftar and even Raya!
P.S. You can currently get a 946ml pack of MAGNOLIA Low Fat Milk with Kurma from now (while stocks last) for only SGD3.95 (usually SGD4.55) through e-retailers and supermarkets (including FairPrice, Cold Storage, Giant and Sheng Shiong), minimarkets & selected provision stores.
This article was brought to you by F&N MAGNOLIA Milk.