Ramadan 2022 is finally here! It’s a month of doing ibadah, making our days more productive and spending quality time with our loved ones. With so many things to juggle and so little time, you might run out of meal ideas for sahur, iftar or that post-terawih dessert treat! If you're searching for the best Ramadan recipes, our list provides just that for all 30 days of the month - so you can skip the daily hassle of thinking up what to cook.
30 Recipes You Have To Try This Ramadan
1. Chocolate Banana Smoothie Some of the best Ramadan sahur recipes are the simplest - especially when you’re really tired or sleepy! And with this simple Chocolate Banana Smoothie recipe, your sahur will be done in no time. For this recipe, we replaced regular, full cream milk with Ayam Brand’s Coconut Milk for a healthier twist. Made of 100% natural ingredients that are free from preservatives, colourings and flavourings, Ayam Brand’s Coconut Milk makes for an amazing substitute for full cream milk. Plus, it’s non-dairy, which means it’s suitable for those who are lactose intolerant!Ingredients (Serves 1)Instructions
- Place all ingredients into a blender and pulse until smooth.
2. Gardenia Pesto Salmon & Tomato Sandwich Credit: GardeniaA meal suitable for both Sahur AND Iftar, the Gardenia Pesto Salmon & Tomato Sandwich will level up your Ramadan meals just like that (snaps fingers) 😄 By releasing glucose slowly, Gardenia’s wholemeal sandwiches will make you feel fuller for longer periods of time! If you’re trying to make healthier meal choices, managing diabetes or just looking to tahan (withstand) hunger until the end of the day, this recipe is perfect for you. Ingredients (Serves 1)
- 200g Basil Leaves
- ½ Lemon
- 4 Cloves Garlic, Chopped
- 3 Tbsp Pine Nuts
- 100g Mozarella
- ¼ Cup Olive Oil
- Gardenia Low GI Soft Grain Loaf
- Gardenia Low GI Nutri Multi-Grain Loaf
- Smoked Salmon
- Rocket Salad (Optional)
- Combine Basil, Garlic, Parmesan, Pine Nuts, Olive Oil & Lemon Juice
- Pulse until pesto is well combined
- Slice tomatoes
- Add pesto, smoked salmon slices & sliced tomatoes between 2 pieces of Gardenia Low GI Soft Grain Loaf
- Toast bread in sandwich maker or on a pan
- Repeat with Gardenia Low GI Nutri Multi-Grain Loaf for a grainier texture!
3. KOKA Aglio Olio Purple Wheat Noodles with ShrimpCredit: KOKAOkay, hear us out. What we’ve got for you in this recipe means you’re going to get the best of both worlds: a healthy meal and that familiar comfort that comes from savouring instant noodles!Ingredients (Serves 1):
- 2 packets of KOKA Aglio Olio Purple Wheat Noodles
- 5-10 shrimps, peeled and deveined (Alternatively, you can use pre-cooked shrimps for greater convenience.)
- 1 teaspoon of chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes OR chopped red chilli padi
- 4 cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil
- Optional: 1 tablespoon of freshly grated Parmesan cheese
The best part? KOKA noodles are high in antioxidants (which reduces the risk of heart disease and certain cancers) and wholegrains, (making you feel fuller for longer periods of time), low in fat, have no preservatives, MSG or colouring! Plus, they are housed in eco-friendly packaging. Instant meals for those extra busy days without all the guilt! Check them out here 😉
- Cook KOKA Purple Wheat Noodles in boiling water for 2 minutes.
- Drain noodles and set aside. Heat a pan on medium heat and add olive oil.
- Add chopped garlic and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add the KOKA Purple Wheat Noodles cooked earlier.
- Add shrimps, chilli flakes/chopped chilli padi and seasoning mix from KOKA and mix well.
- Cook for 2-3 min.
- Add parsley in.
- Turn off the heat and serve.
4. Banana, Peanut Butter & Date SmoothieYou’re going to need energy while you’re fasting, and this recipe might just be the way to do it. It’s got all the ingredients needed for a yummy breakfast, and it’ll leave you feeling full for most of the day. Smoothies are really one of the best things for sahur, aren’t they?Ingredients (Serves 1):
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1 banana, 5 dates and milk ORDutch Lady’s Kurma Banana Milk
- ¼ cup ice
- Vanilla or chocolate flavoured protein powder (optional)
For simpler cooking, Dutch Lady’s Kurma Banana Milk is definitely the way to go. You can get 3 ingredients in one with just a quick pour! Plus, this nutritious beverage is known for giving you energy throughout the day while you’re fasting. 😋Dutch Lady’s also got 2 pack sizes available for your convenience! Have a taste of this delicious drink with their 200ml pack, before buying the 1L Family Pack for your whole family to have a sip! Oh and don’t forget: You might just stand a chance to win a Tefal High Speed Cooking Blender with an $8 purchase of any Dutch Lady Milk!
- Place all ingredients into a blender and pulse until smooth.
5. Crunchy Cereal French Toast Here’s an interesting take on the classic breakfast meal, French Toast! Providing extra texture and nutrients, the Crunchy Cereal French Toast bursts with both flavour and texture, perfect for those sleepy sahurs. Plus, you can get discounted prices on Kellogg’s Cornflakes at Giant! At just $3.85 (U.P. 5.45), your sahur will be both delicious and affordable. 😍 Oh and did we mention? Buy 1x 500g Kellog’s Corn Flakes and you’ll get 1x 130gm Kellogg’s Rice Krispies for free (while stocks last)! Be sure to check out Giant’s Ramadan Wow Deals!Ingredients (Serves 1)Instructions:
- Combine eggs, milk and vanilla in a bowl
- Soak the bread in the egg mixture
- Crush Kellogg’s Cornflakes in a bowl
- Press both sides of the egg soaked bread slices in the cornflakes
- Gently fry the bread until golden and crispy
6. Wonton Noodle SoupCredit: CP Frozen FoodThis hearty recipe is going to hit just the spot for both iftar and sahur. Made with CP’s frozen Wonton, not only can you prepare your meal quickly, you’ll be delighting in a tasty, filling meal, too. 😋 Just what you need for any Ramadan meal! P.S. When preparing this, be sure to pick the right box of Wonton! CP Frozen Foods has 6 different wonton options for you to choose from:
For this recipe, you can choose from the first two Shrimp Wonton packages, but feel free to experiment with different flavours, too! Ingredients (serves 1)
- CP Shrimp Wonton Box (154g) (S$6.50)
- CP Jumbo Wonton (S$9.90)
- CP Shrimp Wonton Bowl (S$3.90)
- CP Shrimp Wonton In Tom Yum Soup (S$3.90)
- CP Shrimp Wonton Noodle With Vegetable (S$4.95)
- CP Shrimp Wonton With Sesame Sauce (FairPrice exclusive) (S$6.50)
- CP Shrimp Wonton
- Bok choy or vegetables of choice
- 400g wonton noodles (fresh, unsteamed)
- Green Onion
- 400g chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- A pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Fish sauce
- Sesame oil
- White pepper
- Boil a pot of water and cook the noodles in the boiling water for 1 minute.
- In a separate pot, boil water and chicken broth together. Once the water is boiling, add olive oil and salt.
- Cook chopped vegetables of choice in broth for 1 minute.
- Add fish sauce, sesame oil and white pepper into the chicken broth to taste.
- Add frozen Raw Shrimp Wonton to a new pot of boiling water. Boil for 4 minutes. Once done, remove water.
- Transfer the wontons, noodles and soup into a bowl.
- Garnish with green onions.
7. Bubur Lambuk (Spiced Congee)Credit: Azrina Ien on FacebookEveryone knows that porridge is a favourite during the month of Ramadan, but why not spice it up with this recipe that you can prepare with your family! Ingredients (serves 2):
- 2 shallots
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3cm ginger
- 2 pandan leaves
- 1 star anise
- 2 cloves
- 1 tablespoon fennel powder
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tablespoon green cardamom
- 1½ tablespoon oil
- Saute sliced shallots and minced garlic in oil at medium heat until fragrant
- Add sliced ginger and continue to saute
- Add aromatics like pandan leaf, star anise, cloves, fennel powder, cinnamon stick and cardamom. Continue to sauté until fragrant
- Stir fry chicken meat and add rice
- Add chicken stock into the pot and bring to boil. Allow the rice to simmer until soft. When the water has reduced and rice is at the desired texture, add coconut milk, salt and pepper to taste
- Garnish with fried shallots, chilli slices and parsley. Enjoy!
8. Korean Fried ChickenCredit: dine.with.delia on InstagramKnown for its super crunchy exterior and addictive sweet-and-spicy sauce, we’re already drooling at the thought of biting into perfectly crispy chicken skin and savouring the tender, juicy meat inside for Iftar!While there are many kinds of Korean fried chicken, we’ll be sticking to the classic one that’s served with spicy Gochujang sauce. The main thing to note when making it is the double frying step (where you fry the chicken twice). Ingredients (serves 2):Fried Chicken
For the sauce
- 1.4kg of chicken wings (You can also use boneless chicken but do note that the frying time will take shorter, so adjust accordingly.)
- 2 tsp minced ginger
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 cup of potato starch or cornstarch
- Oil for frying
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp gochujang
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1tbs minced ginger
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- Place chicken, ginger, salt and black pepper in a bowl. Mix them well using your hands. Then, dip each chicken wing into the starch, shaking off any excess and set aside.
- In a saucepan, add a generous amount of oil and heat it until the temperature hits 170°C. Fry half of the chicken wings at a time for about 5 minutes or so until light golden. Remember not to overcrowd the pan when frying!
- Take out the wings, drain them and place onto a plate covered with a kitchen towel. The oil will drop to about 160°C after your first round of frying, so heat it back up to 190°C.
- Fry the wings a second time until golden brown and crispy. Drain once more and set aside
- In a pan, combine all the ingredients for the sauce and stir over low heat until the mixture starts to bubble. Toss in the wings and enjoy while it's hot!
- If you're not a fan of spicy food, you can always skip over the sauce or serve it separately from the fried chicken as a dipping sauce.
- You can check to see if the oil is ready by dipping a test wing in it. If the oil bubbles, that means it's hot enough to start frying.
9. Iced CendolNothing beats a cold treat you can wash down at the end of the day after breaking fast. You can have this coconut milk-based recipe as a dessert or a drink, sprinkled with yummy pudding-like strands. The perfect treat to prepare for the family this Ramadan!Ingredients (serves 6):
- 4 tablespoons glutinous rice
- 2 bowl of water
- 1 tablespoon coconut milk
- A pinch of salt
- 290g palm sugar (gula melaka)
- 9 pandan leaves
- ½ cup water
- ¾ cup water
- 55g rice flour
- 25g corn starch
- 15g mungbean flour
- 1 cup ice cubes
- 4 cups coconut milk
- Creamed corn
- Kidney beans
- Soak glutinous rice in the bowl of water for at least 4 hours. Pour away excess water and steam for 15 minutes
- Add the tablespoon of coconut milk once cooked and a pinch of salt then mix thoroughly and leave it to cool
- Dissolve palm sugar in the ½ cup water and add 1 pandan leaf at low heat then set aside
- Blend 8 pandan leaves in the ¾ cup water in order to get pandan extract. Mix rice flour, mungbean flour, corn starch, salt and the pandan extract in a pot and heat on low heat until it thickens. Put the mixture in a plastic bag and cut off the tip
- Squeeze the mixture into a bowl of water and ice cubes to allow strands of the jelly to drop
- Add a pinch of salt to coconut milk and dilute it with water. Set aside. In a cup, add the jelly, cream corn, kidney beans and glutinous rice according to preference. Add palm sugar and coconut milk for added sweetness and top it with ice cubes. Enjoy!
10. SteakFor meat-lovers, there's nothing like a good steak! The sheer flavour of good quality meat is delicious, not even needing much more than salt and pepper to make it enjoyable. While steak is often seen as a meal to head to a fancy restaurant for, truth be told, you can also make good steak to enjoy at home at half the price! You know what this means - you don't actually have to head out for Iftar, just make some for yourself at home 😌Ingredients (Serves 1):
- Your steak of choice (eg. New York Strip Steaks, Ribeye, Sirloin Steaks)
- 1/2 Tbsp vegetable oil, or any high heat cooking oil
- Sea salt, black pepper, rosemary (optional)
- Heat your pan over high heat until hot. Add a tablespoon or so of vegetable oil and swirl it around evenly so it coats the bottom of the pan. Once the oil just starts smoking, add your steak and spices. If you're cooking more than one steak, only add another one if your pan is big enough to leave some space between the two steaks.
- How long you cook your steak depends on your preferred level of doneness. For cuts like rib-eye and sirloin (which tend to lie on the thicker side), we recommend nothing more than a medium level of done-ness as anything beyond that would likely result in a tough piece of meat. Besides that, the thickness of the steak will affect your cooking time too. For a steak that's about 2.5 - 3cm thick, a general rule of thumb is as follows:
- Rare: About 2 minutes on per side
- Medium-rare: About 3 minutes per side
- Medium: About 4 minutes per side
- Home cooks can usually gauge the doneness of the steak either by using a meat thermometer to measure the internal temperature of the steak or pressing on the meat itself:
- Rare: Temperature of 50 - 55 degrees Celsius. The meat should feel soft, like pressing the flesh at the base of your thumb.
- Medium-rare: Temperature of 55 - 57 degrees Celsius. The meat will still feet somewhat soft, but with a bit more tension, very slightly springy.
- Medium: Temperature of 60 - 65 degrees Celsius. The meat will feel firm and springy.
- Once your steak is ready, transfer it to a plate and loosely cover it with aluminium foil. Let it rest for 5 - 10 minutes. Serve with sides of your choice.
11. Mango Sticky RiceFor dessert today, indulge in Thailand’s popular sweet treat - mango sticky rice! This dish will have you reminiscing about your last trip to the land of smiles.Ingredients (serves 6):
- 1 ½ cup glutinous rice
- 1 ⅓ cup canned unsweetened coconut milk, well-stirred
- ⅓ cup + 3 tbsp sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 large mango, cut into 24 slices
- In a bowl, wash the rice with cold water until the water becomes clear.
- Using a sieve, drain the rice and set it over a saucepan with simmering water. Make sure the bottom of the sieve does not touch the water. Cover the sieve with a kitchen towel and a lid, and steam the rice for about 30 to 40 minutes or until it becomes tender.
- While the rice is cooking, combine 1 cup of coconut milk, ⅓ cup of sugar and salt in a saucepan and bring everything to a boil. Once the sugar has completely dissolved, remove the pan from heat and set it aside.
- Transfer the cooked rice to a bowl and add the coconut milk mixture. Allow the mixture to absorb into the rice for about 30 minutes.
- In a separate pan, boil the remaining coconut milk with the remaining sugar and stir occasionally for 1 minute. Pour the sauce into a small serving bowl and leave it to cool and thicken.
- When you’re ready to serve, scoop a portion of the sticky rice onto a plate. Then drizzle it with some sauce and top it off with sesame seeds. Divide the mango slices accordingly and enjoy!
12. Banana Overnight OatsKickstart your Ramadan with this simple, healthy and filling meal for sahur! Oats are rich in vitamins and minerals that help you store energy throughout the day. Try this no-cook method the night before - with fruits of your preference like bananas or berries, and you’ll have a delicious sahur in the morning! Ingredients (Serves 1):
- 1 banana, chopped
- ½ cup rolled oats
- A handful of berries
- ¼ tsp Cinnamon (optional)
- Mix the oats and cinnamon in a bowl
- Store the bowl with a plastic cling wrap in the fridge and leave overnight
- Top the fruits on top of the oats. Ready to serve!
13. Honey Roast Chicken with PastaTake your Iftar to the next level today by having some honey roast chicken and a side of pasta - perfect for the whole family to eat! You can prepare pasta in different ways such as carbonara or bolognese as well. Ingredients (serves 4):4 pieces honey roasted chicken leg500g of fusilli pasta2 tablespoon of olive oil2 tablespoon of grated parmesan cheese1/2 tablespoon of Italian seasoning3 cloves of minced garlic Instructions:
- Boil the pasta according to the package instructions
- Add the minced garlic in the pan and cook until it’s golden brown
- Add the boiled pasta in the pan and top it with Italian seasoning. Once done, place it in a large bowl
- Pan fry honey roasted chicken leg for 1.5 - 2.5 minutes (after thawing)
- Other methods: Oven bake straight from the freezer at 200 degree Celsius for 12-14 minutes or microwave (800w) straight from the freezer at 200 degree Celsius for 4-7 minutes
- Once done, serve the honey roasted chicken leg on a plate with a side of pasta topped with grated parmesan cheese. Enjoy!
14. Speedy Scrambled EggsWith this super ingredient, you can have a quick and easy scrambled egg recipe that will give you the protein boost you need in the morning before fasting! Ingredients (Serves 1):
- 2 eggs
- Chopped green and red pepper, tomatoes, onions
- A pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 cube butter
You can top the eggs on toast along with other ingredients or have it separately. There are more ways than one to enjoy this, but our favourite is adding a slice of cheese for that extra flavour!
- Beat eggs, salt and pepper in a bowl until blended
- Add chopped ingredients into the egg mixture
- Heat butter on the pan over medium heat until hot
- Pour in egg mixture. Let the eggs cook for a minute
- Use a spatula to push one edge of the egg into the centre. Repeat with other edges until there is no liquid left. Scrambled eggs are done!
15. Sweet & Sour Chicken Credit: foodworld_096 on InstagramHere’s a dish that goes perfectly with a bowl of rice and veggies! Sweet & Sour Chicken is a delicious Chinese dish that will leave you craving for more during Iftar, even though you feel full 😆 Ingredients (Serves 4):Sauce
- 50g Granulated sugar
- 160g Apple cider vinegar
- 60g Ketchup
- 2 tbsp Soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Sesame oil
- 3 cloves of Garlic
- 1 tbsp Cornstarch
- 2 tbsp cold water
- Boneless chicken, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- Salt & Pepper
- Whisk all ingredients except water and cornstarch and boil over medium heat.
- Combine water and cornstarch in a separate bowl.
- Add water and cornstarch mixture to sauce and simmer.
- Marinate chicken with cornstarch, salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook chicken until cooked through.
- Add sauce to chicken over low heat.
16. Iced Fruit CocktailCredit: Recipe on FacebookIf you’re looking for something refreshing, try having a cold, fruity dessert! This iced fruit cocktail can be made according to your personal preference and you can use any fruits you have on hand but our favourite is watermelon, strawberries and pomegranates.Ingredients (serves 2):
- ½ cup strawberry
- ½ cup blueberry
- ½ cup raspberry
- 1 pomegranate
- ½ cup young coconut
- ½ cup papaya
- ½ cup watermelon
- 3 tablespoon condensed milk
- 3 tablespoon syrup
- Ice cubes
- Add cocopandan syrup into a bowl, equal amounts of fruits of your choice, then add condensed milk
- Top it off with ice cubes (or shaved ice!) and add a small amount of water to your liking. Drizzle your dish with more cocopandan syrup and condensed milk and you’re all set!
17. Chicken QuesadillasWhat’s not to love about a quesadilla? It is easy to make with a tortilla wrap and cheese, you just have to choose your preferred fillings. From leftover chicken (or you can use other meat alternatives) to vegetables you had for dinner the night before, reduce food wastage when you turn them into quick, yummy quesadillas! Ingredients (Serves 5):1 large onion, diced2 tomato, diced2 garlic clove, crushed2 red or green chilis, slicedLeftover chicken1 tsp lemon or lime juice10 tortilla wraps1 pack of cheese slicesInstructions:
- Fry the onion, tomato, garlic and chilli together until cooked.
- Mix the cooked ingredients with the leftover chicken or beef and lemon or lime juice to make the filling.
- Top the tortilla with the filling and a slice of cheese. Then sandwich firmly with a second tortilla.
- Repeat step 3 until the filling has been used up.
- In a large frying pan, over high heat, dry-fry the tortillas for 1 min on each side.
- Once cooked, cut into triangles for ease of eating. Enjoy!
18. Hazelnut Granola Yoghurt BowlNuts are a great source of protein, vitamins, minerals as well as heart-healthy fats! Add your favourite ones, some fruits of your choice and sweeten the deal with some honey. Granola can be made any time and stored overnight for your convenience in the morning. Add it on yoghurt, or even toast, milk, or a yummy spread as an alternative! Ingredients (Serves 1):1 cup oats1 cup blanched hazelnuts, coarsely chopped½ cup sliced almonds½ cup raw sunflower seeds½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut¼ cup honey¼ cup vegetable oil½ teaspoon kosher saltDried fruit and plain whole Greek yogurtInstructions:
- For added crunchiness, pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees celsius
- Spread your oats, hazelnuts, almonds, sunflower seeds, coconut on a large parchment-lined rimmed baking sheet before drizzling some honey and salt on it
- Place in oven and bake for 20-25 minutes and let cool
- Serve with dried fruit and yoghurt
19. Omurice (Japanese Fried Rice)Credit: boku__omurice on InstagramNow, we know you’ve seen this on Instagram at some point - a dreamy soft-centred omelette delicately placed on a serving of ketchup fried rice. Slit the ‘pillow’ open and have a mix of yummy omelette and scrumptious fried rice in your mouth at every bite! Ingredients (Serves 2):Ketchup Fried Rice½ onion1 boneless, skinless chicken thigh1 tablespoon olive oil½ cup frozen mixed vegetables⅛ teaspoon kosher salt⅛ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper2 servings cooked short-grain rice1 tablespoon ketchup (and more for decoration)1 teaspoon soy sauceOmelette2 large egg (50 g w/o shell) (separated)2 tablespoon milk (separated)2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil (separated)6 tablespoon shredded sharp cheddar cheeseInstructions:Ketchup Fried Rice
- Chop onion finely
- Cut chicken into pieces
- Heat oil in a pan and saute onion until softened
- Add chicken and cook until it is brown
- Add mixed vegetables and season with salt and pepper
- Add rice and stir fry
- Add ketchup and soy sauce and mix evenly
- Whisk 1 egg and 1 tablespoon milk in a bowl
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in the pan over medium high heat
- When the pan is hot, pour egg mixture into the pan and let it sit for a minute
- When the bottom of the egg has set, add cheese and half of the ketchup fried on one side of the egg mixture
- Use the spatula to fold both sides of the omelette toward the middle to cover the fried rice
- Move the omurice to a plate and serve. Don’t forget to drizzle some chili sauce or ketchup!
20. Chicken Cutlet with MayonnaiseThis breaded chicken cutlet recipe will definitely be a hit with the kids! (Also for some of us, let’s not lie ;)) Plus, it doesn’t require much time to prepare.. Just a warning, your kids might request for the same meal tomorrow!Ingredients (serves 4):6 pieces (2 packs) of breaded chicken cutlet4 cups of mayonnaise1 large bowl of sliced lettuceA handful of cherry tomatoes1 onion2-3 tablespoons of salad dressingInstructions:
- Deep fry the breaded chicken cutlet straight from the freezer at 175 degree Celsius for 5 - 6 minutes
- Other methods: Air fry or oven bake straight from the freezer at 200 degree Celsius for 12 minutes
- While waiting, slice some lettuce, cherry tomatoes and onions. Then, toss it with salad dressing in a large bowl
- Once done, place the breaded chicken cutlets on a plate and serve with mayonnaise and side salad. Enjoy!
21. Dalgona CoffeeThe drink that took the world by storm at the height of a worldwide lockdown - Dalgona coffee. Inspired by a Korean candy, you just need a 1:1:1 ratio of instant coffee, sugar and hot water!
- Instant coffee
- Hot water
- 1 cup milk
- Mix it in a bowl until it becomes a frothy caramel-coloured cream. You can do so by hand or one of those small battery-operated hand held mixers
- Once your foam is ready, pour it onto your glass of milk!
22. Egg Drop SandwichIf you’re missing Korea or you’re a fan of Hospital Playlist, make this popular Egg Drop Sandwich when you wake up for sahur! It is simple to make, just toast the bread, cook eggs and turkey bacon and you’re good to go. Ingredients (Serves 1):Main
- 1 thick slice of brioche bread
- 1 egg
- 1 slice of American cheese
- 2 slices of turkey bacon
- 1 tablespoon milk
- ½ tablespoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Dried parsley flakes
- For the mayonnaise sauce
- 1 ½ tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp sweet condensed milk
- For the Sriracha sauce
- 1 tbsp sweet condensed milk
- ½ tbsp Sriracha (or use sambal oelek as a substitute)
- Melt butter on a pan on medium heat. Place brioche in the pan and toast on both sides.
- While the bread is toasting, mix eggs, milk, sugar and salt in a bowl.
- When the bread is done toasting, remove from the pan and set aside. Heat oil on the pan and fry the turkey bacon until it is cooked through.
- Cook the egg mixture in a separate pan over medium heat and gently move the eggs in an inward circular motion. When the eggs are just cooked (like ‘wet’ scrambled eggs), turn off the heat.
- Cut the brioche in half but not all the way through. Leave the bottom end uncut.
- Spread the Sriracha sauce on the inside of one half of the bread.
- Insert cheese, turkey bacon and spread mayonnaise sauce on the other half of the bread.
- Stuff the scrambled eggs into the brioche.
- Drizzle the remaining mayo sauce on top of the sandwich and finish off with a sprinkle of dried parsley flakes.
23. Peanut Butter, Banana and Honey on ToastThis 5-minute recipe will do the trick for most of us who are finding it more difficult to wake up for sahur as the days of Ramadan go by. With this recipe, you’re all set for sahur even if you snooze a little in the morning!Ingredients (Serves 1):
- 1 banana
- A peanut butter spread
- Bread, toasted or not
- Peel the banana and cut into thin slices
- On your bread, spread peanut butter generously
- Place the banana slices onto the bread and drizzle some honey over it. Enjoy!
24. Baked PastaIs there anything more comforting than baked pasta? Don't think so! It also helps that it's easy to prepare and cook. It’s pretty simple to do, so you can definitely whip them up for Iftar!Ingredients (Serves 1):
- 500 grams pasta
- ½ kg ground beef
- Diced onion & garlic
- Salt, black pepper and spices of choice to taste
- 2 jars of tomato pasta sauce
- Shredded mozzarella cheese
- Cook ground beef, garlic, onion, salt, black pepper & spices of choice over medium heat until onions have softened.
- Stir in pasta sauce and cook for 5 minutes.
- Cook pasta in salted boiling water until softened.
- Combine pasta and beef pasta sauce in a baking tray or dish.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees celsius for 20 minutes.
- 10 minutes before serving, sprinkle with mozzarella and bake until the cheese is brown.
25. Two Ingredient PancakesEveryone loves pancakes, but not everyone has time to muck about in the kitchen in the early hours to whip up the batter. Here’s a recipe even cooking newbies can make! Ingredients (serves 1):
- 2 bananas
- 2 eggs
- Mash the bananas in a bowl.
- Add eggs to mashed bananas and stir to a custard-like consistency.
- Heat a pan over medium heat.
- Melt a knob of butter in a pan.
- Drop a ladleful of mixture onto a hot pan. Cook until golden brown.
- Serve with honey or maple syrup.
26. French Onion Soup Credit: gavinsherry1 on InstagramDigging into a bowl of soup may be the best way to break your fast! Easy to slurp up, warm and hearty soups can easily be the highlight of your meal. But we’re not talking about any old soup. As huge foodies, we love to take it up a notch with French onion soup! This rich and savoury dish traditionally requires white or red wine. So we’ve tweaked the recipe to make it alcohol-free, giving you this halal French onion soup recipe to try whenever that rainy day arrives. Ingredients (Serves 1):
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cups yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp flour
- 4 cups beef broth (or water)
- Grated Gruyere cheese
- ½ loaf of baguette
- In a large pot, melt the butter over medium heat and add olive oil. Stir it around and once the butter starts to froth, add onions and salt. Lower the heat and slowly cook onions for about 15 minutes until they become softened and browned. Stir occasionally to prevent any sticking or burning.
- Once the onions are properly cooked, add flour and sugar. Whisk everything until well combined, then add the broth. This mixture should nicely thicken at this point.
- Bring the heat back up and let everything come to a boil. Then, immediately lower the heat and leave the mixture to simmer for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- In the last 5 minutes of cooking, prepare the bread by cutting your loaf into 1-inch slices. Place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Sprinkle some grated cheese on top of each slice and broil them for about 3 minutes until the cheese has melted.
- Pour the soup in a bowl and place a slice of bread on top, gently pushing it down slightly so it submerges into the soup. Serve while hot and enjoy!
27. Mexican TacosCredit: stellabrate_with_food on InstagramCraving for something spicy this Iftar? Tacos might just be the way to spice up your Iftar! Easy and versatile to make, you and your family can all mix and match the taco filling to your preference. With a variety of toppings such as shredded cheese, lettuce, chopped tomatoes, refried beans, sour cream and guacamole, there’s something for everyone!Ingredients (serves 12)
Optional taco toppingsInstructions
- 1 pound (450g) ground beef
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ¾ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- ¼ cup water
- 12 taco shells (you can use either hard shells or soft flour tortillas)
- Pour some oil into a large pan over medium-high heat, add ground beef and break the meat apart.
- Add chilli powder, cumin, salt, black pepper and oregano, to the meat and mix well. Cook for about 6 to 8 minutes until the beef is cooked through.
- Reduce the heat to medium; add tomato sauce and water. Stir to combine for about 7 to 8 minutes until some of the liquid evaporates, leaving the meat mixture a little saucy. Then, remove from heat.
- Warm the taco shells (or tortillas) according to the package directions.
- Fill the shells with 2 tablespoons of taco meat (but if you’d like more, go for it!). Top with desired taco toppings and enjoy!
28. Spanish Flan Credit: smoky_mountains_creperie on InstagramIt wouldn’t be a satisfying meal without dessert, and Spanish Flan might just be the way to do it. 😍Sweet and simple, this dessert is hassle-free and easy to make! Ingredients (Serves 1):
- 200g white sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 can evaporated milk
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- Melt sugar in a saucepan over low-medium heat until liquified and gold in colour.
- Pour hot syrup into baking dish. Make sure to evenly coat the bottom and the sides of the dish!
- Beat eggs, condensed milk and evaporated milk in a bowl until smooth.
- Pour egg-milk mixture into baking dish.
- Cover dish with aluminium foil and bake in a preheated oven at 175 degrees celsius for 1 hour.
- Let cool and serve!
29. Nasi Goreng KampungYou can’t go wrong with this kampung style fried rice even as you tweak it with any extra ingredients you prefer, like chicken, shallots, or choy sum for your vegetables. Try this recipe for Iftar and you’ll be sure to cook up this yummy feast with ease!Ingredients (serves 3):
- Fried Rice
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 60 grams long beans, diced
- 60 grams water spinach
- 100 grams shrimps
- 4 chilies, crushed
- 3 bowls cooked rice
- Ground Paste
- 3 red chilies, deseed and cut
- 3 garlic, minced
- 3 shallots, minced
- 2 tablespoon dried shrimps
- 1 tablespoon shrimp paste (belacan)
- ½ tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- Cut water spinach into sections and diced long beans into small pieces
- Crush chilies and peel shrimps, leaving tail intact
Frying the rice
- Soak dried shrimps until softened and drain well
- Blend chillies, garlic, shallots, dried shrimps and toasted shrimp paste for about 3 seconds. Alternatively, it can be pounded. Set aside the spice paste
Add your prawn crackers, cucumber slices and tomatoes and enjoy!
- Fry the spice paste until lightly brown and fragrant
- Add water spinach, long beans, peeled shrimps and chilies. Stir fry and mix well
- Add in cooked rice. Stir fry and ensure it is evenly mixed
- Add salt and fish sauce. Stir fry until done and serve!
30. Chicken Macaroni SoupHaving some comforting soup with meat and carbs for sahur will surely fill you up while giving you a warm treat at the same time! You can also get creative and swap the carbs and meat for another protein source. Have fun! Ingredients (Serves 1):
- 200g macaroni, boiled
- 1 garlic, chopped
- 1 small carrot, cut into small pieces
- 1 medium potato, peeled and cut into small pieces
- 100g chicken breast fillet, cut into small pieces
- 1 scallion, chopped
- 1½ cups of water
- 1 tablespoon powdered broth
- Salt and pepper
With so many recipes to choose from, you won't be left wondering what to cook every sahur and iftar anymore. 😋Try these Ramadan recipes for yourself for a fuss-free Ramadan with your family!This listicle is curated by our content team and includes advertisers.
- Heat oil and saute garlic in a pan until fragrant
- Add chicken breast and saute until it changes colour
- Add the water and bring it to a boil
- Add powdered broth, salt and pepper
- Add the macaroni, potatoes and carrots
- Sprinkle the scallion before serving