There are many things to do in Sabah that'll make your trip unforgettable. Besides climbing Mount Kinabalu and sample fresh seafood, some of the best things to do in Sabah are island hopping and scuba diving.
If you're planning to cross off these activities from your bucket list, there's a beautiful floating dive-in resort in Mabul Island that's perfect for your future trip. Before that, let's show you how to go to Mabul Island and the best time to visit.
Where is Mabul Island located?
- Mabul Island is located on the south-eastern coast of Sabah in Malaysia
- Famous for muck diving, you can spot marine life like frogfish, fire gobies, ghost pipefish, and more.
- With an average visibility of 6-7 metres, the dive sites are shallow with mild currents, which makes it perfect for divers of all levels
How to get to Mabul Island
- Take a direct flight to Tawau, Sabah
- Take a one-hour drive from Tawau Airport to Semporna Jetty
- From Semporna Jetty, take a 45-minute speedboat ride to Mabul Island (we recommend booking the boat ride with your resort in advance)
Best time to visit Mabul Island
- While the diving season is open all year, the best time to visit and dive in Mabul Island is between April and July (dry season)
While it's easy to imagine a getaway to the beautiful Mabul Island, the Mabul Water Bungalow will give you more reasons to save up and make your dreams come true.
Just a boat ride away from Tawau in Sabah, this four-star floating dive-resort, which will reopen in August 2020, is where divers go to escape the city's hustle and bustle.
Sprawled with 24 wooden bungalows that stand above the waters, each bungalow is designed with contemporary touches and complete with a comfortable bed, private bathroom, television, and free Wi-Fi.
You might be tempted to enjoy the cool air-conditioning after standing out in the sun, but don't forget to unwind at the private balcony and catch the evening skies too.
For divers, the resort package starts at RM3,770 per person for a 2D1N stay, the room rates may be steep but it comes with a diving package, meals and other perks, so you can make the most of your time here.
- Twin-sharing bungalow
- Van and boat transfer from Tawau to Mabul Water Bungalow
- All meals and drinks provided (Note: We've checked with the resort and the restaurant uses all meats and ingredients sourced from halal-certified suppliers. However, alcoholic drinks are served on the premise for non-Muslim guests)
- 3 boat dives per day with a divemaster on Mabul, Kapalai or nearby islands
- Unlimited jetty diving on Mabul Island's house reefs
- Use of tanks with air, weights and weight belt
- Other diving equipment is available for rent such as mask, snorkel, wetsuit, and more.
If you're planning to explore the nearby Sipadan Island, you can take a 15-minute boat ride from the resort.
To enter Sipadan Island, you need to apply for an entry permit from Sabah Park as the daily limit is 176 people per day. If you stay at Mabul Water Bungalow for more than 5 nights, they can arrange it for you.
For non-divers, the resort package starts at RM2,249 per person for a 2D1N stay, where you can enjoy various facilities and perks in the resort minus the diving activity. Not to worry, there are many other things to do such as beach volleyball, ocean kayaking, island hopping, and fishing.
For visitors and non-resort guests, you can visit Mabul Water Bungalow and take amazing photos for your Instagram too. The entrance fee is RM30 per person, per day, but you need to arrange your own boat transfer from Semporna Jetty to Mabul Water Bungalow.
There's so much to love about Mabul Island, Sabah. From crystal clear water to blue skies, just a glimpse of it is enough to take our breath away. To inspire your next trip to Sabah, check out these articles below!
- 8 Activities That’ll Make Your Trip To Sabah Unforgettable
- 10 Exciting Things You Never Knew You Could Do In Sabah (Besides Mt Kinabalu!)
- 4D3N Kota Kinabalu & Kundasang Itinerary For An Adventure In Sabah
Rate: Starts at RM2,249 for 2D1N (per non-diver) and RM3,770 for 2D1N (per diver)
Address: Lot A-1-G, Block A, Signature Office, KK Times Square, Off Coastal Highway, 88100, Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, Malaysia
Contact: +6088 230 006
Email: [email protected] / [email protected]