Updated 7 February 2020
Receiving far less attention than its well-known neighbours such as Bali and Bandung, the town of Yogyakarta (also known as Jogja) boasts many scenic sights and amazing attractions that promise an exciting adventure.
From thrilling gondola rides to the iconic Borobudur Temple, it's time for you to plan your next getaway in this Indonesian city!
Get your first look of Jogja (1-2hr)
- Kick off your Indonesian adventure by making a stop at one of the most popular cultural heritage sites in Jogja - Prambanan Temple. Explore the site and climb on top of the ruins that surround the complex.
- While you’re there, don’t forget to catch the Ramayana ballet performance in the evenings! Ticket prices vary depending on whether you choose to experience the indoor or outdoor shows which can range between IDR125,000-IDR275,000 (indoor) and IDR125,000-IDR375,000 (outdoor)
Raya Jogja, Solo Km 16, Prambanan, Sleman, Yogyakarta 55571
Open daily; 6AM-6PM
If you are intending to visit both Prambanan and Borobudur temple on consecutive days, do purchase a combined ticket for a cheaper price which can be bough at either venue.
Karaoke on wheels (1 hr)
- After a long day of airport transfers and light trekking around Prambanan, relax & unwind with a trip down Alun Alun.
- Hop onto a illuminated pedal car lined up by the pavement that brightens the street with its colourful and adorable designs. Be sure to crank up the volume and sing your heart out as you peddle your way around the area.
Alun-alun Utara, Gondomanan, Kota Yogyakarta, Daerah Istimewa, Yogyakarta 55122
It is best to survey the prices before settling on one vehicle A single vehicle (4-pax) can range from IDR 30,000 to IDR 80,000 (SGD$3-8).
Enjoy a meal at Bakmi Pak Pele (1hr)
- As your first day in Yogyakarta comes to an end, enjoy a delicious meal at Bakmi Pak Pele (on Google Maps as "Special Bakmi dan Nasi Goreng Pak Pele").
- Slurp down a delicious and affordable plate of noodles, and savour the authentic taste of local dishes such as Mi Bakso and Mi Godog (Noodles in gravy).
JL. Pojok Tenggara, Jl. Alun-Alun Utara, Panembahan, Kecamatan Kraton, Kota Yogyakarta, Daerah Istimewa Yogyakarta 55131, Indonesia
Tue-Sun; 4PM-11PM, Mon; 5PM-11PM
+62 274 297 1111
Experience the life of a Sultan (4 hr)
- Step into a Kraton or the Sultan's Palace – the official residence of the Sultan of Yogyakarta and also a living museum for the Javanese culture.
- Watch classical dances and wayang kulit at the inner pavilion or simply snap a picture with the staff dressed in traditional clothing!
Jl. Rotowijayan Blok No. 1, Panembahan, Kecamatan Kraton, Kota Yogyakarta, Daerah Istimewa Yogyakarta, Indonesia
Mon-Thu, Sat-Sun; 8.30AM-1.30PM, Fri; 8.30AM-12.30PM
: The venue may be closed to host international diplomats at the residence. Do check with your tour guide or driver before making your way there!
- Drop by Taman Sari Water Castle or what used to be the Sultan’s royal garden. While it has since been left alone and abandoned, the venue still retains the grandeur of its past glory – waiting to be captured in photographs.
Wisata Taman Sari Jalan Tamanan, Patehan, Kecamatan Kraton, Kota Yogyakarta, Daerah Istimewa Yogyakarta 55133, Indonesia
Open daily; 9Am-3PM
- Head over to the Underground Mosque – a short 10-minute walk from the compound. Explore the catacombs and hidden chambers once used by the Sultan.
Be one with nature (3-4h)
- If you are looking for a less-touristy place, Hutan Pinus Puncak Becici is the place to be. This charming destination is a great spot for you to snap an Insta-worthy photo with its abundance of wooden benches and swings!
- While there are no admission fees, you may choose to rent a hammock and cradle to the sounds of the forest.
Gunungcilik, RT.07/RW.02, Gn. Cilik, Muntuk, Dlingo, Bantul, Daerah Istimewa Yogyakarta 55783, Indonesia
Open dailt; 6AM-7PM
- As night falls, take your Yogyakarta adventure to Pantai Parangtritis. As a beach packed with various amenities, you can ride an ATV, saddle in with the horses or simply catch the sunset while eating by the seaside and enjoying a gorgeous sunset ?
Go on an adventurous hike (5-6h)
- Start your day bright and early at 4am and head out to Punthuk Setumbu to catch the sunrise. Hike up the hill for 15 to 20 minutes and be greeted with breathtaking landscape bathed in a warm glow.
- In its best conditions, you may catch glimpse of Borobudur emerging from the shadows! Even in times of cloud cover, the view at Punthuk Setumbu is still a sight to behold.
- Note: Punthuk Setumbu is an hour's drive from Yogyakarta. So, plan your hike in advance in order to catch the sunrise in time.
Jl.Borobudur Ngadiharjo KM 4 km, Kurahan, Karangrejo, Kec. Borobudur, Magelang, Jawa Tengah 56553, Indonesia
Opens 24 hours
IDR 30,000 (cheaper alternative than sunrise tour at Borobudur)
There is a musollah conveniently located near the entrance of the hill where you can carry out your prayers.
Have lunch at Sekar Kedhaton (1hr)
- After all that hiking, there's no question that you've built up an appetite. To fuel yourself up, head over to Sekar Kedhaton where you'll find an extensive menu of traditional Indonesian and international food. Combined with its elegant Javanese architecture, this restaurant a hot favourite among locals and visitors alike!
- Whether you're craving for Indonesia's national dish, Nasi Goreng, or feel like having Ayam Penyet (crushed chicken), you'll be treated to a delightful meal ?
JL Borobudur, Km. 2, 5, Pabelan, Mungkid, Pabelan Satu, Pabelan, Mungkid, Magelang, Jawa Tengah 56512, Indonesia
Open daily; 8AM-9PM
+62 293 789 429
Visit the iconic Borobudur Temple (1-2hr)
- Cited as the number one tourist destination in Jogja, the Borobudur temple is not to be missed. Don’t forget to stretch it out before climbing the endless steep stairs in your quest to the top ?
- It is important to note that on your visit to Borobudur, make sure you are dressed in appropriate clothing (covering knees and shoulders). Sarongs will also be provided prior to entering the temple.
Jl. Badrawati, Kw. Candi Borobudur, Borobudur, Kec. Borobudur, Magelang, Jawa Tengah, Indonesia
Open daily; 6AM-5PM
If you can help it, avoid visiting Borobodur on the weekends as the place can get a little too crowded.
Tour around Mount Merapi (2-3h)
- If the sound of a 4-hour hike up Mount Merapi isn't enticing to you, hop onto a jeep instead for an up-close view of Merapi.
- The jeep tour brings you through museums, ruins of houses, ‘Alien Stone’ and the Merapi Bunker. As there are plenty of shops along the hill offering similar jeep tours, advance reservation will not be required.
- Once you’re all set, hang on tight for a bumpy ride ahead!
Dusun 2, Suroteleng, Selo, Boyolali Regency, Central Java, Indonesia
IDR 350,000 – 550,000 (for 1 vehicle, 4-pax)
Be an explorer at Gunungkidul (7-8h)
- A trip to Jogja is not complete without a visit to Jomblang cave for the thrill of a lifetime!
- Enjoy the breathtaking views as you are lowered down into a vertical abyss. Not to worry, safety harnesses and helmets are provided.
- The main highlight is the journey to Grubug cave, where rays of sunlight peaks in through the roof and into the tunnel. The view is drop-dead gorgeous and definitely Instagram-worthy.
Jetis Wetan, Pacarejo, Semanu, Gunung Kidul Regency, Special Region of Yogyakarta 55893, Indonesia
Open daily; 9AM-1.30PM (only one tour per day, max: 75-pax)
IDR 500,000 (includes boots, helmet, life jacket, harness, guide, lunch and insurance)
- After the muddy cave adventure, take a breather at Sri Gethuk Waterfall.
- Walk through rice fields or pay for a boat ride to reach the foot of the waterfall. This place is good for body-rafting or just playing under the waterfall! Be careful of your steps as it can get slippery.
- The best time to visit is during the dry season when the river is clearer. Body-rafting is not offered in the wet season.
Jalan Air Terjun Sri Gethuk, Bleberan, Playen, Kabupaten Gunung Kidul, Daerah Istimewa Yogyakarta 55861
Open daily; 7AM-5PM
IDR 15,000. For the boat ride (two-way): IDR 10,000
: The admission ticket gives you access to the Rancang Kencono Cave (5-min drive away). A volunteer will guide you through the cave and provide background stories on the historic cave.
Shopping at Malioboro Street (1-2hr)
- Spend the night shopping away at Malioboro Street! The 1km long street comes alive at night, offering a variety of souvenirs such as x at affordable prices.
Jl. Malioboro, Kota Yogyakarta, Daerah Istimewa Yogyakarta
Open 24 hours. Do note that the vendors and stores are usually open from 9AM-9PM
Have dinner at Warung Bu Ageng (1hr)
- End your day with a hearty meal at Warung Bu Ageng - an authentic Jogjakarta restaurant that is owned by renowned theatre actor, Butet Kertaredjasa.
- Offering a variety of local Indonesia food and Javanese food, have a go at their Nasi Campur Ayam Bakar Suwiran (mixed rice with roasted chicken) or bubur duren Mlekoh (durian porridge).
Cycle across the sea (1-2hr)
- Hop on an old-school gondola ride at Timang Beach and cycle across to a rocky outpost while enjoying the sight of waves crashing beneath you?
- Cycling in mid-air will set your heart pumping. This ride is definitely not for the faint-hearted!
Jl. Pantai Sel. Jawa, Pantai, Purwodadi, Tepus, Kabupaten Gunung Kidul, Daerah Istimewa Yogyakarta 55881, Indonesia
While there are no official opening hours, it is best to go during daylight from 9AM-5PM.
Savour seafood at Gubug Makan Mang Engking (1hr)
- Craving for some fresh seafood fix? Gubug Makan Mang Engking is the place to go! Built around a pond, choose your own gubug (gazebo) to dine at and get ready to dive into an assortment of food such as honey grilled prawns and sweet and sour gourami fish
- Enjoy your scrumptious meal while soaking in the gorgeous view of the restaurant and its surroundings.
Fri-Wed; 9AM-8PM, Thu; 9AM-7PM
Jl. Godean No.KM.16, Jamur, Sendangrejo, Kec. Minggir, Kabupaten Sleman, Daerah Istimewa Yogyakarta 55562, Indonesia
Website | Facebook | Instagram
Reel in your artistic side (1-2hr)
- After your meal, step into the whimsical world of Indonesian art 'maestro' at Affandi Museum.
- The extravagant architecture filled with lush greenery makes for great photo opportunities like no other!
Jl. Laksda Adisucipto No.167, Papringan, Caturtunggal, Kec. Depok, Kabupaten Sleman, Daerah Istimewa Yogyakarta 55281, Indonesia
Mon-Sat; 9AM-4PM (closed on Sunday, the first Monday of every month and national holidays)
Prices vary according to the type of entrance ticket. Visit their website here
So there you go – a 5D4N itinerary to experiene some of the best of Jogja! With the vast number of attractions available, we definitely think it’s time for you to consider the city as your next holiday destination ?