[Updated 10 June 2021]
Staying at home gives us the opportunity to get creative in the kitchen. We're learning to make our own sourdough starter, whip up creamy fettuccine alfredo
, and cool down with yummy cafe-worthy drinks
! If you're spending more time in the kitchen, we've also compiled more recipes that you can try at home
ranging from easy Korean recipes
to quick sahur meals
If there's one thing we're excited about, it's this surprising tweet
! IKEA UK revealed the full recipe for their popular Swedish meatballs and cream sauce, and it got us super excited! In a press release, IKEA's Country Food Manager Lorena Lourido shared, "We know that some people might be missing our meatballs, which is why we've released an at-home alternative which, using easily accessible ingredients, will help those looking for some inspiration in the kitchen."
The best part is, the recipe is pretty easy to follow! IKEA UK's Swedish meatball recipe may have minced pork as one of the ingredients, but we can easily substitute it with other halal meats or use more minced beef.
Credit: mroach on Flickr
IKEA’s Swedish Meatballs and Cream Sauce Recipe
Serves four people
- 500gminced beef
- 250g minced chicken* OR additional 250g minced beef (*IKEA UK's recipe originally includes minced pork)
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 1 clove of garlic (crushed or minced)
- 100g breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 5 tablespoons of milk (whole milk)
- Generous salt and pepper
Credit: Yun on Flickr
- Dash of oil
- 40g butter
- 40g plain flour
- 150ml vegetable stock
- 150ml beef stock
- 150ml thick double cream
- 2 teaspoons of soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard
How to make
- Combine minced beef and other meats and mix with your fingers to break up any lumps.
- Add finely chopped onion, garlic, breadcrumbs, egg and mix.
- Add milk and season well with salt and pepper
- Shape mixture into small, round balls
- Place on a clean plate, cover and store in the fridge for 2 hours (this will help them hold their shape whilst cooking)
- In a frying pan, heat oil on medium heat. When hot, gently add meatballs and brown on all sides
- When browned, add to an over proof dish and cover.
- Place in a hot oven (180 degree Celsius) and cook for a further 30 minutes
- Melt 40g of butter in a pan. Whisk in 40g ofplain flour and stir for 2 minutes
- Add 150ml of vegetable stock and 150ml of beef stock and continue to stir.
- Add 150ml double cream, 2 teaspoons of soy sauce and 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard
- Bring it to simmer and allow the sauce to thicken
- When ready to eat, serve with your favourite potatoes - either creamy mash or mini new boiled potatoes.
And there you have it! Another delicious recipe you can try at home, and guess what? There are more brands that are unveiling secret recipes of their famous food. Challenge yourself by also recreating McDonald's Sausage and Egg McMuffin
, Disney's famous churros
, Pret A Manger's Dark Chocolate Chunk Cookies
, and DoubleTree by Hilton's Chocolate Chip Cookie
. Time to get creative in the kitchen!