[Updated 9 June 2021]If you're a fitness junkie who is staying at home during the pandemic, we know how it feels not to breathe in some fresh air or going on a morning run. As much as you're missing the gym and parks, there are many easy ways to stay fit and healthy even when you're indoors. Ready? Let's start with this one!
1. Do indoor workoutsCredit: GiphyJust because you’re staying indoors or working from home, it doesn’t mean you should throw out your fitness goal. How about spending some time doing indoor workouts instead? Get your motivation and body going by watching online exercise videos. You can even challenge yourself to try something you wouldn’t normally do in the gym such as cardio Latin dance workout or HIIT training.Credit: GiphyHousehold items such as laundry detergent and water bottles can also double up as weights. If you don’t have those at home, there are no-equipment workout videos that you can watch too. #HHWT Tip
: Our teammates are huge fans of Blogilates
and their videos are available on Youtube!
2. Spring cleaningCredit: GiphyWe’re all familiar with the tiredness that comes from spring cleaning. Besides making your home super clean and tidy, it’s a great way to work on different parts of your body and muscle groups. When you sweep the floor, you’ll work on your arms and legs, and you can burn up to 87 calories in 30 minutes. Decluttering your room also energises your whole body and you can burn up to 189 calories. Time to do some spring cleaning!
3. Power cleanCredit: GiphyAnother way to breaking down spring cleaning into smaller and more effective workouts would be a power clean. It means focusing on a single chore and make the most of the movements. You can try vacuuming around the house as it consistently concentrates on your arms and legs. Besides that, cleaning the bathroom also requires plenty of scrubbing that’ll help you stay active.
4. GardeningCredit: GiphyGardening is a great way to get a breath of fresh air. Believe it or not, gardening activates many parts of your muscle groups, which includes your legs, arms, glutes, back and shoulders. So don’t underestimate the burns you get when you pruning the plants, pulling weeds, remove the topsoil, or watering your plants.
5. Sneak-in movements into your indoor activitiesCredit: GiphyWhen you’re doing some indoor activities at home, sneak-in some exercise movements to activate other muscle groups. Do some squats while downloading your Netflix series or between commercials on TV. You can also include some reverse lunges while waiting for your instant noodles to cook or the water to boil. A few minutes here and there will add up, and it makes you feel productive too.
6. Get a good stretchCredit: GiphyNever underestimate what a good stretch can do after you spent hours on the couch or in front of your laptop. Ideal for anyone with a sedentary lifestyle, it’s a good way to keep your muscles flexible, reduce muscle tension and increase your blood circulation. Aside from those benefits, it does wonders in making you feel good too.
7. Have a dance partyCredit: Giphy
Know an upbeat song that'll make you bust the move? Put it on replay and start dancing in the living room or bedroom! Spotify and iTunes have many great songs to choose from including K-Pop workout and cardio tracks that'll keep you going. You can also learn new moves from online dance fitness classes including Zumba, hip-hop, Latin and more. So go ahead and dance like no one’s watching!
8. MeditateCredit: GiphyLast but not least, meditate! It can be stressful to spend the entire day at home, so take some time out and relax your mind with a relaxing meditation. Choose a comfortable spot in your home (it can be your living room sofa or comfy bed), close your eyes, breathe naturally and try to clear your mind. Besides reducing stress, it also helps to manage your anxiety, increase self-awareness and focus on emotional and mental health. From doing indoor workouts to throwing a dance party, there are many easy ways to keep fit and healthy even when you're indoors. All you need to do is make the best of the situation until the day comes when you can step out to the park again!