Picture the scene: you and the love of your life strolling hand-in-hand along white-sanded beaches while waves lap gently on the shore. Romantic much? Island getaways are often seen as the perfect way to spend some quality time with our partner, and who could argue with that? The combination of sun, sea and sand has been a tried-and-tested formula for romantic trips for generations ?
Credit: GiphyAnd you know what’s even better than an island getaway? An island getaway that’s nearby! Luckily, with islands peppering the coasts of neighbouring Malaysia and Indonesia, we have access to nearby beach havens without even having to splurge on airline travel ? Here are 10 secret islands located nearby that would be perfect for a romantic weekend getaway!
1. Pulau SugiCredit: @cheekiemonkies on InstagramHome to the beautiful private beach getaway of Telunas Resort, Pulau Sugi epitomises the idyllic island life of long days on the beach with a book in one hand and a drink in the other.Credit: Telunas Resorts on FacebookThe Maldivian-style villas of Telunas Resort that sit over water are the only accommodation on the island. It is made up of two parts – the private island sea villas and the beach resort chalets. Whichever you choose, the sights will always be stunning and the experience unforgettable, for you will wake up to views of the emerald sea while the cooling sea breeze lulls you at night ?The spacious sea villa each has a large living room, a mini loft on the second floor and a bedroom facing the open sea with an attached balcony!Be warned though: there is no Wifi, televisions and air-conditioning here. Your days can still be kept busy with stand-up paddle boarding, soaking up the sunshine with feet deep in sand and lounging around on the beach. But if all that isn’t for you, head over to the open and outdoor spa, which will give you front row seats of the vast sea!Credit: @telunas_resorts on InstagramGetting there: A one-hour ferry ride from Harbourfront to Sekupang in Batam, followed by a 90-minute boat transfer arranged by the resort to Pulau Sugi.Website | Facebook | InstagramTelephone: +62 811 7710951Address: Pulau Sugi, Desa Mentangun, Kecamatan Moro, Sugie, Karimun, Kabupaten Karimun, Kepulauan Riau 29462, Indonesia[P.S Explore more stunning underrated islands in Indonesia that’ll make you want to visit instantly!]
2. Cempedak IslandCredit: Cempedak Island on FacebookFor those seeking a romantic island getaway, Cempedak is just right for two ❤️ You can be assured of your own peaceful time with your partner as no kids are allowed on the island?This private island, just 26 km south of Nikoi, extends over 42 acres of rainforest and is surrounded by secluded sandy beaches, all unpopulated except by silver-leaf monkeys, a family of sea otters, and the pangolin!Credit:@weliketwo on InstagramCempedak Island features unique architecture where bamboos are their main building materials, creating a feel of nature – even indoors! The villas each have a crescent-shaped roof which helps capture cool breezes while releasing the hot air, thus keeping the villas cool without the need for air-conditioning. If the tropical climate gets too warm, feel free to just jump into the private plunge pools available in each villa!Getting there: Take the one-hour ferry ride from Tanah Merah Ferry Terminal to Bintan Resorts followed by another hour taxi ride across Bintan to the jetty. A speedboat will then transport you to Cempedak Island in less than half an hour.Website | FacebookTelephone: +62 811-7008-040Address: Air Gelubi, Bintan Pesisir, Bintan Regency, Riau Islands, Indonesia[P.S Experience the best views Indonesia has to offer at these 10 places!]
3. Rawa IslandCredit: @phalinn on InstagramA popular choice for weekend getaways, this beach beauty is as picturesque as they come. Offering stunning views, plenty of sunshine and a good time, Rawa Island is a seaside hotspot where water activities like snorkelling, windsurfing and kayaking are sure to fill your days.For the less adventurous, follow the Island Walk Trail for a sunset stroll or recount the simple pleasures of going down water slides and splash around in the clear waters of Rawa.Credit: Beautiful Destinations Of The World On FacebookPulau Rawa has a small number of resorts, so you're guaranteed a secluded and more serene stay. For a romantic getaway, a resort such as Rawa Island Resort would fit the bill! Its accommodation is built on stilts right by the amazing water ?Getting there: Head to Mersing Jetty by bus, which takes an approximate 3 hours from Singapore, before continuing your journey by speedboat for another 20-minutes to Rawa Island. Rawa Island requires all visitors to pay a Government National & Marine Park fee of RM50 for non-Malaysians and RM20 for Malaysians. This is to be paid at the jetty before departure.Rawa Island Resort WebsiteTelephone: +607 799 1204
4. Nikoi Island
[caption id="attachment_61251" align="alignnone" width="1440"]Credit: Nikoi Island
Have the ultimate romantic getaway by escaping to the private island of Nikoi in Indonesia. Away from the throngs of tourists, Nikoi is a tiny private island with only one hotel and beaches made for your Instagram feed? Marvel over the sparkling waters gently rolling onto the pristine shores, listen to the tender lullaby of the waves and just relax in the company of your loved one ?Credit: @nikoiisland on InstagramNikoi Island can be rented as a whole or you could also rent individual beach houses, which would be perfect for a romantic getaway! A one-bedroom beach house currently costs SGD500 (as of Feb 2019). Credit: Nikoi Island on FacebookDespite its secluded location, Nikoi Island is usually fully booked months in advance. So if you’re interested, be sure to check for available dates fast!Getting there: From Tanah Merah Terminal, take a two-hour ferry ride to Bintan Ferry Terminal, where a Nikoi staff will take you on an approximately 25-minute boat ride to the island.WebsiteTelephone: +65 9635 1950Address: Teluk Bakau, Gunung Kijang, Bintan Regency, Riau Islands, Indonesia[P.S Start off your awesome year-end vacation at these 6 places in Indonesia!]
5. Pulau SibuCredit: @gabriellocotraveller on InstagramBe mesmerized by Sibu’s vast golden sands, superb snorkelling spots and stunning views! Nothing ups the romantic factor on a getaway than being able to escape the bustle of city life ?Surrounded by a coral reef-filled marine park, Pulau Sibu is actually a cluster of islands that consist of Sibu Besar, Sibu Tengah, Sibu Kukus and Sibu Hujung. Sibu is located in the same Marine Park as Rawa and boasts an environment mostly untouched by development.Credit: Rimba Resort, Pulau Sibu, Malaysia on FacebookYou and your partner will be able to immerse in the heart of nature and focus fully on each other without the distractions of everyday life ?Getting there: The jetty to Pulau Sibu is in Tanjung Leman, a three-hour drive from Singapore (and about 72 km south of Mersing). Your booked accommodation on Sibu would have arranged for your boat transfer to your resort on the island.
6. Pulau JoyoCredit: @pulaujoyo on InstagramHave you ever considered ditching the city life to live on a secluded island surrounded by unobstructed views of crystal blue sea and white sanded beaches? Well, the Indonesian island of Joyo may well be your ideal hideaway.Credit: @karen_exploredreamdiscover on InstagramPulau Joyo can be rented out in whole, but for a romantic getaway for two, you can opt to stay at any one of the “palaces” which comes with their own section of the beach. These beach palaces boast huge Balinese daybeds, soaring beamed ceilings and ornately carved artefacts? If you prefer the outdoors, chill out by the sofa on the beach. It’s perfect for you to just unwind and relax with your partner!Getting There: Take a one-hour ferry ride from Tanah Merah Ferry Terminal to Tanjung Pinang, where you will be met by the resort staff who will drive you to the resort’s private jetty about 1 hour and 20 minutes away. After that, it’s a 25-minute speedboat ride to finally reach Joyo.WebsiteTelephone: +62 812-7006-756Address: Pulau Joyo, Riau Islands, Indonesia
7. Pulau Lang TengahCredit: Lang Tengah Turtle Watch on FacebookNestled in the waters of Terengganu is the small tranquil island of Lang Tengah. Okay, so technically, this island isn’t super near Singapore, but technically you still don’t need a plane to get there! ?Not only is it fringed by white sands and shallow waters on its west coast, but this island is also home to the conservation site of Turtle Bay!Credit: Lang Tengah Turtle Watch on FacebookLang Tengah (its somewhat fancy English translation is the Eagle in the Middle) is a largely untouched tropical island with coral reefs lining its seabed. Plunge into this island’s crystal-clear waters to explore the ocean’s wonders or sit by the beach to watch sea turtles nest and hatch.If you and your partner have always wanted to give back to the community while travelling, you can also sign up to be a volunteer with the turtle watch to stop poaching activity on Lang TengahCredit: Mohd Fazlin Mohd Effendy Ooi on FlickrGetting there: Make your way to Merang Jetty (by car, bus, or if you want to skip the drive, you can catch a direct flight from Singapore to Kuala Terengganu Airport, then transfer to the Merang Jetty (45 mins car ride). From Merang Jetty, take a ferry to Pulau Lang Tengah, which takes 45 – 70 mins.
8. Pulau KapasCredit: @geoffroygauthier on InstagramArguably one of Malaysia’s most gorgeous islands, Pulau Kapas’ shoreline is dotted with pale sands and clear waters. To catch the truly laid back vibes of island living, Kapas is the place to be with its offering of a peaceful and serene respite.Credit: @quentin_xenz on InstagramYou’ll be able to explore the beautiful waters of Pulau Kapas by snorkelling, but it’s as great of a view at the top too! Take a hike along the trails available and witness all the gorgeous nature this island has to offer ?Getting there: Find your way down to Merang Jetty in Terengganu. From the jetty, Pulau Kapas is a mere 15-minute speedboat ride away. There are several boat operators so do scout around to get the cheapest deal.[P.S Check out 9 breathtaking Malaysian island resorts even locals don’t know about!] Gorgeous beaches, idyllic islands and enchanting private islands – all in Singapore’s backyard! These secret getaways promise a romantic trip to remember, so go treat yourself and your partner to one of these incredible escapes ?
[iframe seamless="seamless" style="border: none; overflow: hidden;" height="450" width="100%" scrolling="no" src="https://pollbuzz.co/frame/2842?type=poll"][/iframe]