What happens when your cravings strike and you just can’t find a halal Korean eatery near your house? Well, it’s time to get down to making your own Korean dish! And not to worry if you can’t find halal gochujang because we have a alternative for that 😉
Korean Garlic Gochujang Hot Wings
Gochujang is a Korean chili paste made out of red chili, glutinous rice, fermented soybeans, and salt. It’s a pungent, salty and spicy paste great for making sauces, marinates and glazes as in this recipe.
#HHWT Tip: If you can’t find halal gochujang at your nearest grocery store, you can substitute it by mixing chili powder with tauchu (bean paste that you can purchase at almost any Asian food store), sugar, sesame oil and a little bit of water. This makes a paste that’s similar…Or just use any chilli paste / powder you have lying around, add it with a little soy sauce and a pinch of sugar.
- 6 pairs of chicken wings, chop off the drumette from the wingette
- 200g all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp pepper
- 200g butter
- 200g Gochujang sauce
- 3 cloves garlic, mash to a paste
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- Oil for deep-frying
- Sesame seeds and spring onions for garnish
- Heat up a deep fryer with 3 inches of cooking oil.
- Mix the paprika, thyme, salt and pepper with all-purpose flour.
- Drench each drumette and wingette with the seasoned flour.
- Deep fry the chicken wings in small batches to ensure it is cooked thoroughly and remain its crispiness. Fry till golden brown and drip off excess oil on kitchen towel.
- Prepare the Gochujang glaze by melting butter in a small saucepan with garlic till fragrant.
- Add brown sugar till dissolve.
- Toss the glaze and fried chicken wings in a small bowl till combine.
- Garnish with sesame seeds and spring onions and ready to munch!
The next time you’re watching a Korean drama and dreaming of yummy Korean fried chicken, you can easily whip up this dish without even having to search for halal gochujang! And of course, if you are planning to visit Seoul, don’t forget to download our HHWT Travel Planner app to find the top attractions, best halal food and prayer spaces in Seoul!