Have you always wondered how char siew tastes like? Well, wait no more because you can now replicate the char siew taste using halal meat from the comfort of your home!
This recipe is a healthier version by using chicken breast, but feel free to go for chicken thigh for an even juicier texture. One method for you to tenderize the chicken breast is to incorporate something acidic in the marination stage such as apple cider vinegar or lemon juice.
Airfryer has become a staple in many households and it has fast become my favourite applicance in the kitchen to cook meat, frozen foods and even vegetables! It keeps the temperature constant for a more even cooking and the best part is, you don’t even have to worry about getting a smoky kitchen and cleaning up grease after you’re done with your cooking!
Even if you do not have an airfryer around, you can also grill the meat over medium heat on a normal non-stick pan.
Char Siew Chicken
4-8 hours of marination
- 300g chicken breast, cut into strips
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon of dark soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon of light soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon of white pepper
- 1 teaspoon of Five Spices Powder
- 2 tablespoons of honey (2 for marinade, 2 for grilling chicken)
- 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 2 tablespoons of oyster sauce
- Make the marinade by combining all the ingredients and whisk them well.
- Pour the marinade over the chicken and put them all into a ziplock bag. Place the bag into the fridge and leave it to marinate for at least 4 hours, but preferably overnight.
- When you are ready to cook, lightly coat the chicken with honey while waiting for your pan to heat up.
- If you are using the airfryer, adjust the temperature to 160 degrees and set the timer to 15 minutes.
- You can also grill the chicken on a non-stick pan for about 10 minutes on each side. Turn the meat at 5 minutes interval to avoid the meat being overcooked. Once the meat is slightly charred, it is then ready to be served.
- Meanwhile, while waiting for the meat to be cooked, you can prepare the sauce. Filter the marinade liquid and place it into a heavy-bottom saucepan. Bring the liquid to boil until you get a thick, syrupy char siew sauce. You can serve this with the char siew chicken later on.
- For the chicken that was in the airfryer, turn up the temperature to 200 degrees after the initial 15 minutes and let it cook for another 5 minutes to get a bit of char on the chicken.
- Once the meat is slightly burnt, you can proceed to plate it and pour the char siew sauce on top.
Your char siew chicken dish is now ready to be served! Enjoy?
P.S. If you'd like to learn more tasty recipes, do follow me on Instagram