Cooking up Korean recipes at home is easy. Whether you decide to make pajeon, Korean fried chicken or tteokbokki, there are plenty of simple dishes to are completely doable - and this includes Korean rice balls! Also known as jumeokbap, they're perfect for any meal of the day and even as a filling snack. It's a super versatile recipe because you're free to swap out ingredients to make all kinds of filling variations. Start with the basic like seaweed rice balls and from there, go ahead and experiment with other flavours.
P.S. While you're at it, why not make these 5 easy halal Japanese recipes at home too!
Seaweed rice ball
Ingredients (yields 9 rice balls)
- 2 cups steaming short-medium grain rice
- 3 sheets seaweed sheets
- 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil, more for coating the plastic glove
- Sesame seeds, for garnish
- Cut the seaweed sheets into small pieces with a scissor or put the seaweed sheets into a food processor and process until coarsely shredded.
- In a medium bowl, mix rice, shredded seaweed, soy sauce, and sesame oil until incorporated.
- Put a plastic glove on one hand. Add a little bit of oil to the plastic glove so that the rice does not stick. When the rice is warm enough to handle (not cold), put 2 tablespoons of rice on your palm and squeeze lightly until the rice sticks together. Shape it into a ball.
- Repeat until the rice is finished. Garnish with sesame seeds
- Kimchi rice ball: Cut your kimchi up and add in chopped green onions plus minced onion for extra fresh flavour.
- Bulgogi rice ball: Thinly slice your bulgogi (marinated with garlic, ginger, soy sauce, sugar and salt). Add minced onion and carrot, then mix them into the rice ball.
- Tuna rice ball: Use canned tuna and enjoy with Japanese mayonnaise - specifically Kewpie mayonnaise.
Now that you know how easy it is to make Korean rice balls, you've got another delicious recipe under your belt to impress family and friends with ?
Want more recipes? Check these out:
- 7 Easy Korean Recipes From Your Favourite K-Dramas To Make At Home
- 5 Easy Halal Italian Dessert Recipes For An Indulgent Treat
- Enjoy A Halal English High Tea At Home: 7 Recipes For Your Teatime Spread