[Updated 23 June 2021]
From fluffy Hokkaido milk bread that’s perfect for breakfast toasts to aromatic Korean mocha buns as a teatime treat, there’s a bread for every occasion! Today, we’ll be shining the spotlight on one that you may have seen making its rounds on the Internet and that’s the Korean cream cheese garlic bread. Just the name itself is enough to make our mouths water, so we’re pretty sure that a bite out of it will be nothing short of amazing! With this halal Korean cream cheese garlic bread recipe, you’ll find out soon enough for yourself how delicious this savoury treat is.
Ingredients (yields 4)
For the dough
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup milk, room temperature
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp instant dry yeast
- ½ tsp salt
For the cream cheese filling
- 1 cup cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 tbsp sugar
For the garlic butter sauce
- 1 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp milk
- 3 tbsp parsley
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- In a mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients for the dough and knead for about 5 minutes until everything is combined and the dough becomes elastic. Cover the bowl with a plastic wrap and let it rise for about an hour.
- Once the dough has grown twice its size, gently punch it to release air. Knead it for 2 minutes before dividing the dough into 4 equal portions. Then, roll them into balls of dough and set aside to proof for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, pop the balls of dough in and let them bake for about 20 minutes until golden brown. Once done, remove from the oven and allow them to cool.
- Prepare the cream cheese filling by combining cream cheese and sugar together until fully incorporated. You can either spoon the cream cheese from the bowl directly into the bread or pipe it. We find piping the filling a much easier (and less messy) option, so if you’d like to do so, just scoop the cream cheese mixture into a piping bag (or a ziplock back if you don’t have one, and just cut the tip off).
- Move onto preparing the garlic butter sauce by combining all the ingredients and stirring them together. Once everything is incorporated, set aside for further use.
- With the cooled breads, slice them into 6 segments but not all the way through. Check out how it’s done in the video below:
- Fill each segment generously with cream cheese then soak each bread with some garlic butter sauce. You can do this by either dipping it directly into the bowl of sauce or pouring the sauce onto the buns.
- If you have any cream cheese filling left, pipe it in the middle of the buns. Serve and enjoy!
Now that you have another yummy bread recipe on your hands, it’s time to treat yourself to a wonderfully savoury Korean cream cheese garlic bread. To keep your kitchen adventures alive, check out our recommended reads below:
- Easy Cha Chaan Teng Recipes: Recreate Hong Kong's Local Coffee Shop Dishes At Home
- Easy Halal Mandu Recipe: Make These Korean Dumplings At Home For Delicious Light Bites
- A Simple Halal Japanese Cream Puff Recipe To Satisfy Your Sweet Tooth Cravings