It’s that time of year again when Chinese New Year is just around the corner! From Chinese classics to contemporary cuisine, we’ve come up with a list of the best halal restaurants in KL where you can enjoy the best Chinese food in town.
7 Halal Chinese Restaurants In KL
1. Amber Chinese Muslim RestaurantEnjoying dishes from Amber is the closest thing to experiencing an authentic meal in Northern China. Every plate is a cacophony of fresh spices and bold flavours that are masterfully orchestrated using traditional cooking techniques.Enjoy a row of appetisers such as Chinese chives pancakes and sesame mochi bun. Then, enjoy their special roasted lamb, braised fish, kung pao chicken and sauteed broccoli with mushroom. Before ending your dinner, let the lotus seed with white fungus soup cool you down.Halal status: Muslim-ownedOpening hours: Open daily; 11.30AM-10PMAddress: Unit 14, 7, Jalan Kerinchi, Nexus Bangsar South, 59200 Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan Kuala LumpurContact: +603-2242 1010
2. Golden Valley Chinese Muslim RestaurantThere’s no arguing that Golden Valley’s selection of Chinese-Muslim cuisine is delightful and enjoyable. Perfect for sharing, prepare to be delighted by the sights of Nyonya-style steamed sea bass, lala in superior broth, marmite chicken, salad prawn, almond chicken, ginger and chicken fried rice and kong po chicken yam basket.Halal status: Uses ingredients sourced from halal-certified suppliersOpening hours: Daily, 10AM-10PMAddress: L3 - 18 & 19, Melawati Mall, 310, Lorong Selangor, Taman Melawati, 53100 Kuala Lumpur, Selangor, MalaysiaFacebook |Instagram
3. Mohd Chan RestaurantMohd Chan’s primary draw is the home-cooked Cantonese-style cuisine that is not only halal-approved but appetizing as well. Today, the brand stands strong with as many as 20 outlets to its name, which signifies its belief in making Chinese-Muslim cuisine as accessible as possible. Some of their popular picks include classic Teochew steamed fish, classic butter sotong, kam heong lala, salted egg chicken and four seasoned vegetables. Of course, there's no forgetting their famous chilli crab.Halal status: Muslim-ownedOpening Hours: Open daily; 11AM-11PMAddress: Check out all Mohd Chan Restaurant outlets availablehereWebsite |Facebook
4. Jibby ChowManaged by the same team behind Serai Group and the Jibby cafes, you’re in for a treat as Jibby Chow’s serves your favourite Chinese dishes with a contemporary twist, like a spiced roasted duck in steamed mantao or Boston lobster in their signature chilli sauce.Halal status: Muslim-ownedOpening Hours: Open daily; 10AM-10PMAddress: SS15 Courtyard, Jalan SS 15/4d, Ss 15, 47500 Subang JayaContact no.: +603 5612 7072Website
5. Dolly Dim Sum
If there's one place you should be getting your fill of festive dishes from, it has to be Dolly Dim Sum. For a clean and flavourful dim sum, we recommend going old-school with the classic har gao prawn dumplings, freshly baked egg tarts, vegetarian spring roll, wok-fried kuay teow and steamed siew mai. If you have space on your table for desserts, give the snowskin durian mochi and chilled snow melon dessert a go. And you can’t miss the ever-so-popular signature Egg Custard buns!Halal status: Uses ingredients sourced from halal-certified suppliers and no alcohol is used in their cooking. Please note that alcohol is served at all their outlets except IOI City Mall and Sunway Putra Mall - we recommend that you dine at your own discretion.Address: Click here for all outlet locations and opening hours. Website | Facebook | Instagram
6. Lamb ShepherdCredit: @yoga0071 on Instagram
Another authentic Chinese cuisine that you can get is at Lamb Shepherd! Founded by mainland Chinese Muslims, get ready to indulge in their delicious dishes that are packed with spices and flavours. A few items on the menu that are highly recommended are the dumpling soup and fried lamb with dried chillies!
: No.8A, Ground Floor, Jalan 4/27F, Jalan Genting Klang, Setapak, 53300 Kuala Lumpur
: Tues-Sun, 11.30AM-7.30PM (closed on Mondays)
7. HOMST RestaurantCredit: @nailyhashim on Instagram
This list wouldn't be complete without the popular HOMST Restaurant! Considered the pioneer in Chinese Muslim Cuisine, HOMST has a few branches across Klang Valley and they have an extensive menu. From soft shell crabs, and tasty buttered and salted egg prawns to stir-fried dishes you'll be spoiled for choices!
: Check here for all of their locations. Opening hours
: Daily, 11AM-10.30PM
With all the uncertainty going on, CNY might be a different affair in 2023, but that doesn't mean it has to be any less special. Take your pick from any one of these halal Chinese restaurants and bond with your loved ones over yummy dishes!