The one thing you won’t have to worry about on a trip to Penang is the various mouthwatering food that's available at any hour of the day. And if you’re an early riser who enjoys having a hearty breakfast, we’ve got you covered! With plenty of delicious eateries and cafes out there to choose from, your morning appetite will definitely be pleased with this list of halal breakfast spots in Penang ☀️
1. MORE by Arang CoffeeIf you’re the kind of person who needs their cup of coffee first thing in the morning, we’ve got you covered with this breakfast spot at MORE by Arang Coffee. Start your day off with chill cafe vibes and enjoy one of their most sought-after items on their menu, The Awesome Threesome. An open-faced sandwich with 3 toppings variety: mushroom cheese, ham & egg and smoked salmon, you’ll be ready to take on the day after filling up your stomach nicely. Halal status:
Uses ingredients sourced from halal-certified suppliers
Open daily; 9AM-9PM
Address: 170G-2 Livingston Tower Argyll Road, 10050 George Town, Pulau PinangContact:
+604-371 0222 / +6010-434 4794
| InstagramP.S. While you're exploring, don't miss out on these 12 Instagrammable spots in Penang (that aren't street art) nearby halal eateries!
2. Roti Canai Transfer RoadForget cereals and hotel breakfasts! Make your way to Roti Canai Transfer Road where plenty of Penangites head to for a wholesome breakfast of roti canai, roti bakar, and half-boiled eggs. It’s one of the morning must-haves in Penang and if you appreciate the taste of local flavours early in the day, then this place is perfect for you.Halal status:
Mon-Sat; 7AM-12PM, Sun; 7.30AM-12PMAddress:
114, 110, Jalan Transfer, 10050 George Town, Penang
3. Ali Nasi Lemak For those who crave the traditional nasi lemak for breakfast, Ali Nasi Lemak should definitely be at the top of your list. Conveniently located on Beach Street, it’s a popular favourite among the many other nasi lemak stalls that you’ll find in George Town. Served in a neatly wrapped parcel of banana leaves, you can expect more than just the standard nasi lemak here. Go all out by adding your choice of fish, cuttlefish, prawn, salted fish or chicken. Halal status
: Mon-Sat; 8AM-1PM (Closed on Sun)
: Sri Weld Food Court, Beach Street, 10300 George Town, Penang
4. Sup Hameed Penang RoadBreakfasts are made early risers. But if you’re one of those people who wakes up super early (we’re talking 5AM to 6AM ?), you might be wondering where one can grab breakfast at that hour. The answer is Sup Hameed Penang Road! Known for their hearty and appetising soups served with oven-baked bread, you won’t regret coming here to get your fill of breakfast. Play it safe with their classic chicken or beef soups, or be adventurous and take up cow’s tongue or stomach soup. Halal status
Open daily; 7AM-3AM
: 48, Jalan Penang, 10000 George Town, Pulau Pinang
P.S. Hungry for more? Check out this list of 8 amazing eateries in Penang serving authentic Chinese halal food.
5. Restoran KapitanAnother place that you can turn to if you’re an ultra early riser is Restoran Kapitan. This brightly coloured two-storey restaurant is famous for its briyani, tandoori chicken and naan. It also offers nasi kandar and other local dishes such as mee goreng and roti canai. So, you won’t have to wrack your brain in the morning or worry about limited choices at this eatery.Halal status:
24 hours daily
93, Lebuh Chulia, George Town, 10200 George Town, Pulau Pinang, Malaysia
6. Bee Hwa CafeThis unassuming Hainanese coffee shop is a must-visit for foodies who want to savour char kuey teow, curry mee, nasi goreng and mee hailam in one sitting. Its flavourful and extensive menu is practically made for large groups of people with different appetites. And that makes it the perfect spot for you and your family and friends to enjoy breakfast together at one table. Halal status
: All chicken and ingredients are sourced from halal-certified suppliers and the restaurant does not serve beef or pork in the premise. All kitchen staff are Muslim.
: Mon-Sat; 7AM-3PM
: 10, Lebuh Dickens, 10050 George Town, Pulau Pinang
7. Roti Canai Jalan ArgyllYou can guarantee to have a delicious breakfast when you visit Roti Canai Jalan Argyll where their specialty is, you guessed it - roti canai! It sounds like a simple breakfast, but trust us when we say your taste buds will sing in delight once you take a bite of their flavourful mutton curry or chicken curry that comes with the roti canai. It’s what makes them special, and if you want more local flavours, go ahead and order roti banjir where the cook pours different different types of curry on your plate complete with a dollop of sambal. Halal status
: Open daily; 6AM-12.30PM
: Jalan Argyll, George Town, 10050 George Town, Pulau Pinang
8. Bangkok Lane Mee GorengAny fan of mee goreng will point you in the direction Bangkok Lane Mee Goreng. Situated at Seng Lee Coffee Shop, prepare to wait in line at this Muslim-owned stall that is often frequented by locals and travellers alike. Once you’ve copped a seat, prepare to dive into a feast of flavours where delicious fried noodles come topped with various ingredients such as potatoes, tofu, bean sprouts and squid. Halal status:
Tue-Sun; 8.30AM-6.30PM (Closed on Mon)
Seng Lee Coffeeshop, 280, Jalan Burma, 10350 George Town, Penang.
Now that you’re armed with these breakfast spots, you’ll be able to fuel yourself up with plenty of delicious food and be ready for an adventurous day ahead ?
Need some ideas for a fun vacay in Penang? Make sure to check these out: