If you’ve been trying to take a break from heavy food but dread turning to boring salads, don’t worry! We’ve got you covered with an easy halal Vietnamese spring roll recipe 😃 Refreshing, healthy and most importantly delicious, this dish is simple to make at home. Plus, you can be as flexible as you want with the filling ingredients and adapt it with whatever you have on hand. Whether that’s more carrots, less cucumbers or using a completely different protein, it truly is up to you. So get ready to assemble, roll and enjoy some yummy Vietnamese spring rolls 😁
Ingredients (yields 8)
For the sauce
- 8 round rice paper wrappers
- ¼ cup rice vermicelli
- 1 cup red cabbage (thinly sliced)
- 1 cup butter lettuce (torn with the centre ribs removed)
- 2 medium carrots(sliced into strips)
- 2 medium cucumbers (sliced into strips)
- ¼ cup cilantro (roughly chopped)
- 16 cooked shrimp (or any other protein of your choosing)
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp creamy peanut butter
- 2 tbsp Hoisin sauce
- 1 ½ tbsp white vinegar (or lime juice)
- ⅓ cup water
- 1 garlic (minced)
- ½ tsp crushed chili, sambal oelek or chilli paste to taste (optional)
- In a small bowl, combine all the ingredients for the peanut sauce and whisk until well-combined. Give a taste, adjust as you see fit and set aside.
- Boil a pot of water and cook the rice noodles until al dente (according to package directions). Drain, rinse them under cool water and return them to the pot. Remove from heat, then add sesame oil and salt, and set aside.
- Add about 1 inch of water in a pan and place one rice wrapper into the water. Let it soak for about 10 to 15 seconds until it becomes floppy but still slightly firm and pliable. Remove from water, pat the wrappers dry a little and repeat this step with the remaining wrappers.
- Gather all topping ingredients together, including chopped vegetables, herbs and cooked shrimp.
- Leaving about 1 inch of open rice paper around the edges, cover the lower third of the paper with a few pieces of butter lettuce. Then add a small handful of rice noodles, some red cabbage, a few strips of carrot, cucumber, 2 cooked shrimps and top it off with some cilantro.
- Fold the lower edge up over the filling and roll it upwards until the filling is tightly enclosed. Fold the sides of the spring roll like you would when making a burrito and finish rolling it up. Since the rice paper is sticky, it'll seal itself. Set aside and repeat with the remaining ingredients.
- Serve the spring rolls with peanut sauce on the side and enjoy!
With this easy Vietnamese spring roll recipe, you now know where to turn to if you want a healthy and delicious meal 😉