Take a break from your usual morning coffee routine and try one of Hanoi’s most unique drinks - egg coffee (ca phe trung) 😃
Made with sweetened condensed milk, egg yolk and Vietnamese ground coffee, it's a combination that sounds pretty strange but seeing as how it’s well-loved by locals and even tourists, it’s one that definitely works! Not at all eggy like how you would expect it to taste, this beverage is actually rich and creamy thanks to the egg foam that sits on top of it. And when coupled with a dark and smooth coffee, you’ll be wanting to make this drink time and time again. So, here’s an easy Vietnamese egg coffee recipe for whenever you’re ready to switch things up a little!
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 2 egg yolks
- 6 tsp of Vietnamese coffee powder (you can also use a ground coffee of your choice)
- 3 tbsp sweetened condensed milk
- Hot water
- Brew 2 cups of coffee.
- In a heatproof bowl, crack and separate the eggs, keeping the yolks and saving the whites for another purpose.
- Using a double boiler method, place the bowl over a saucepan filled with a quarter of simmering water. Let the egg yolks sit over the heat for about 1 minute.
- Remove the bowl from the heat and add condensed milk. Whisk until the mixture becomes thick, creamy and almost custard-like.
- Pour the egg cream mixture on top of your coffee, serve and enjoy!
So if you're ready to put a special twist to your morning coffee and try something a little different, Vietnamese egg coffee is a great place to start 😉