When you think of Mexican food, tacos are probably the first thing that comes to mind. It’s a true classic that's easy and versatile to make. With a hand-sized tortilla as the base, you can mix and match the filling with a variety of toppings such as shredded cheese, lettuce, chopped tomatoes, refried beans, sour cream and guacamole 😋
As someone who has made and eaten a fair amount of tacos over the last few years, I definitely think it’s a great dish to put together when you want something simple yet flavourful. So here’s an easy taco recipe that you can and should try at home this week!
Ingredients (serves 12)
Optional taco toppings
- 1 pound (450g) ground beef
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ¾ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- ¼ cup water
- 12 taco shells (you can use either hard shells or soft flour tortillas)
- Pour some oil into a large pan over medium-high heat, add ground beef and break themeat apart.
- Add chili powder, cumin, salt, black pepper and oregano, to the meat and mix well. Cook for about 6 to 8 minutes until the beef is cooked through.
- Reduce the heat to medium; add tomato sauce and water. Stir to combine for about 7 to 8 minutes until some of the liquid evaporates, leaving the meat mixture a little saucy. Then, remove from heat.
- Warm the taco shells (or tortillas) according to the package directions.
- Fill the shells with 2 tablespoons of taco meat (but if you’d like more, go for it!). Top with desired taco toppings and enjoy!
If you've never made tacos before, there's no better time than now to try it out! Invite your family to whip up this simple recipe and enjoy the yummy tacos together 😋