You’re probably spending more time at home and with loved ones this Ramadan and thinking of what meals to prepare can seem daunting. However, it doesn’t always have to be a difficult task. What if we told you that there’s a way to prepare quick meals that are tasty, fun and healthy? To spice up your meals, here are 7 easy recipes you never knew you could make with bread. Who says you can only eat bread for breakfast? These recipes are perfect for iftar or Raya gatherings too!
Follow us on Telegram for the latest updates: https://bit.ly/3LnFN1F
7 Easy Recipes To Make With Bread For Ramadan
1. Asian Lemongrass Chicken Sandwich
Craving something zesty and flavourful for sahur or iftar? Try your hand at making Asian Lemongrass Chicken Sandwich. It’ll be perfect for those days where you want a light meal that still packs a punch.
- Gardenia Low GI Soft Grain Bread
- 4 pieces Chicken thigh or leg, deboned, fat and skin removed
- 8 slices Tomato
- 2 pieces Lettuce, cut into thin strips
- 8 slices Cucumber
- 1 piece Purple cabbage, cut into thin strips
- 2 tsp Low-fat mayonnaise
- 2 tsp Chilli sauce
- 2 tsp Oil
- 3 stalks Lemongrass
- 6 Shallots, chopped 2 cloves
- Garlic, chopped ½ tsp
- Turmeric powder ½ tsp
- Chilli powder 1 tbsp
- Coriander, chopped 2 tsp
- Sugar ½ tsp
- Salt 1 tbsp
- Oil 2 tbsp
- Cut off the ends of the lemongrass stalks, and peel off the outer layer. Chop lemongrass into small pieces.
- In a food processor, add chopped lemongrass and the rest of the ingredients for the Marinade Paste and blend until a smooth paste.
- Transfer the Marinade Paste to a medium bowl. Add the chicken and coat evenly with the marinade. Allow the chicken to marinate for at least 30 minutes, or overnight in the chiller.
- In a small bowl, add the low-fat mayonnaise and chilli sauce. Mix to combine well, then set aside.
- In a non-stick frying pan, heat 1 tsp of oil over medium heat. Add 2 pieces of marinated chicken and pan-fry until chicken is cooked through and light golden brown. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add remaining 1 tsp oil to the frying pan and pan-fry the other 2 pieces of chicken. When chicken is cooked through and light golden brown, remove from the frying pan and set aside.
- On 1 slice of bread, place 2 slices of cucumber. Add 1 piece of pan-fried chicken and drizzle with chilli mayonnaise. Then, add 2 slices of tomato, followed by some shredded lettuce and purple cabbage.
Alternatively, you can also choose to bake the lemongrass chicken in a preheated oven at 180 degrees celsius for approximately 20 to 25 minutes or until it’s cooked.
Not only is this meal yummy, but healthy too! That’s because Gardenia Low GI Soft Grain Bread has barley flour with a natural low G.I. value (glycemic index) which promotes slower digestion and absorption of carbohydrates. This way, glucose is released slower into the bloodstream, keeping you full for longer and providing you with a steady supply of energy when you’re fasting. It’s just what you need during Ramadan!
2. Pesto Salmon & Tomato Sandwich
Here’s another dish that’s delicious and packed with nutrients - Pesto Salmon & Tomato Sandwich. You’d normally see this dish in cafes but now you can easily make this at home too. If you need a filling meal for sahur and iftar, this will do the trick!
- Gardenia Low GI Soft Grain Loaf (or Gardenia Low GI Nutri Multi-Grain Loaf for a grittier texture)
- Smoked Salmon
- 200g Basil Leaves
- 4 cloves Garlic, chopped
- 3 tbsp Pine Nuts
- 100g Parmesan Cheese
- ¼ Cup Olive Oil
- ½ Lemon
- Rocket Salad (optional)
- To make the pesto sauce, combine the basic, garlic, parmesan cheese, pine nuts, olive oil and lemon juice in a food processor. Pulse the ingredients until they are well-combined.
- Set aside the pesto sauce in a small bowl
- Slice the tomatoes
- Lay out the bread and spread the pesto sauce
- Add the smoked salmon slices and tomatoes
- Toast the sandwich
When you’re fasting, it’s important to eat food that’ll keep you full for longer. That’s why Gardenia Low GI Loaves are amazing as they are high in dietary fibre. For instance, the Gardenia Low GI Nutri Multi-Grain Loaf is baked with the 12 finest grains and seeds like rolled oats, quinoa, flax seeds and more. It’s an excellent source of complex carbs and gives you all the essential vitamins and minerals you need. It also helps you maintain a healthy digestive system during Ramadan.
3. Mushroom Spinach Wrap Quiche
In Ramadan, there are bound to be days where you might not have time to prepare a heavy meal. If you’re looking for something a little fancy but easy to prepare, we’ve got you covered with this Mushroom Spinach Quiche recipe.
- Gardenia Wholemeal Wraps or Gardenia Herb Wraps
- 50g Diced Mushrooms
- 50g Spinach
- 3 Whole Eggs
- 100g Crabsticks
- 1 tsp Sesame Oil
- 1 tsp Soy Sauce
- Place one piece of wrap in a round tin.
- Fill the pan with mushrooms and spinach.
- Crack three eggs into a bowl, add 1 tsp of sesame oil and soy sauce and whisk well.
- Pour egg mixture into the tin with the wrap, mushrooms and spinach.
- Shred the crabsticks and layer them on top.
- Place the tin into an air fryer. Set to 180 degrees celsius for 15 minutes.
Who knew that quiche would be so easy to make? Not to mention that with Gardenia’s Wholemeal Wraps, you can easily make any dish you want to. What’s great is that these wraps contain a good source of dietary fibre and are nutritious for the whole family.
With Gardenia’s range of wholemeal bread and wraps, you can also increase your whole grains intake easily. It takes longer to digest and helps you to sustain energy levels longer especially when you’re fasting in Ramadan. Too busy to make a trip to the supermarket? Stock up on your Gardenia products on RedMart!
4. Roti John & Chicken Satay Sandwich
One of the Ramadan bazaar dishes we love is roti john! Though bazaars are making a comeback this year, why not try your hand at preparing this dish at home? If you’re having friends over for an iftar gathering or even Hari Raya, having a chicken satay sandwich with your roti john will certainly be one way to elevate your meal.
Butter Sugar Roti John
- Gardenia Butter Sugar Wholemeal Cream Roll
- 200g Minced Chicken Breast
- 2 Eggs
- 50g Curry Powder
- ½ Onion
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 1 tsp Salt
- Add a dash of oil on a pan
- Stir-fry onions, minced chicken and curry powder
- Crack two eggs, add salt and pepper and whisk thoroughly
- Pour eggs on the stir-fried chicken
- Place the Gardenia Butter Sugar Wholemeal Cream Roll upside down
- Flip and toast the bread
- Layer one roll on top of the other
Chicken Satay Egg Sandwich
- Gardenia Peanut Butter & Caramel Wholemeal Cream Roll
- 200g Marinated Satay Chicken
- 2 Eggs
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 1 tsp Salt
- Grill the marinated satay chicken on a pan
- Crack the eggs, add salt and pepper and whisk
- Scramble the eggs on a separate pan
- Add the chicken satay and eggs on Gardenia Peanut Butter & Caramel Wholemeal Roll
- Layer one roll on top of the other
We’re pretty sure you can’t wait to savour some mouthwatering homemade roti john! With Gardenia’s wholemeal cream rolls, you can easily include wholegrains into your diet. Healthier diet with wholegrain intake will help to reduce your risk of type 2 diabetes, heart disease and obesity. This recipe is definitely a refreshing take on your Ramadan and Raya meals.
5. Rainbow Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Looking for a meal idea that you can prepare with the kids or feel like trying something new?
Have some fun by making this Rainbow Grilled Cheese Sandwich!
- Gardenia Super Soft Wholemeal White Bread
- 500g Mozzarella Cheese
- 100g Red Cheddar Cheese
- 2 tbsp Matcha Powder
- 2 tbsp Beetroot Powder
- 1 tbsp Butterfly Pea Flower
- Prepare the natural dyes by adding water to the matcha powder, beetroot powder and butterfly pea flower. Mix them well.
- Separate the mozzarella cheese into three bowls. Add the natural dyes to the mozzarella cheese, mix them well and let them sit.
- Lay the coloured cheese and the red cheddar cheese onto the bread.
- Spread butter on a sandwich press and toast the sandwich.
- Remove the sandwich from the press, slice it diagonally and pull it apart to see the colours!
Prefer the texture of white bread instead but still want the nutrients of wholegrain bread? The good news is that Gardenia’s Super Soft Wholemeal White Bread is made from 50% superfine wholemeal flour so you can enjoy the goodness of wholegrains with the softness of white bread.
6. No-Bake Tiramisu
Bet you didn’t know you could make tiramisu with bread! For those nights in Ramadan where you simply feel like indulging in a delectable dessert or you’re thinking how to impress your guests during Raya, here’s an easy no-bake tiramisu recipe.
- Gardenia Fine Grain Wholemeal Bread
- 1 ½ cups Instant Coffee
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract (alcohol-free)
- 200g Light Cream Cheese
- 1 ½ cups Heavy Whipping Cream
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- Cocoa Powder
- Cut the crusts off the bread
- Slice the bread into three equal lengths
- Toast the bread at 150 degrees celsius for 5 minutes
- Add water to the instant coffee and mix it well
- Dip the toasted bread slices into the instant coffee mixture. Make sure that all sides of the bread are covered with the mixture.
- In a separate bowl, add the light cream cheese, heavy whipping cream, vanilla extract and sugar and whisk them well
- Add a layer of bread in a tray followed by a layer of cream mixture. Repeat this for another two layers.
- Add a dusting of cocoa powder
- Refrigerate for up to 4 hours till it’s set
Who knew tiramisu would be this easy to make? Plus, Gardenia’s Fine Grain Wholemeal Bread is made with 60% wholemeal flour and it’s high in Vitamin B1, B2, B3, calcium and iron. So, you can enjoy a decadent dessert and yet still get all the nutrients you need.
7. Chicken Sandwich Pie
If you feel like having something comforting for sahur or iftar this Ramadan, we’ve got just the recipe you need. This Chicken Sandwich Pie is also a great dish to serve your guests during Raya especially if they prefer eating something light after having visited multiple houses.
- Gardenia 100% Wholemeal Extra Soft and Fine Bread
- 2 Roasted Chicken Breasts
- 2 cups Ketchup
- 2 cups Cream Cheese
- 1 cup Shredded Cheese
- 1 bowl Sweet Corn and Peas
- ½ cup Oil
- Finely shred the chicken breasts
- Add the shredded chicken, sweet corn and peas into a bowl. Mix them thoroughly.
- Prepare the bread by trimming the sides and cut them into triangles
- Grease a baking pan
- Layer the sides and bottom of the pan with the bread slices
- Add a layer of ketchup and then cream cheese above it
- Add a layer of the chicken, sweet corn and peas mix
- Repeat all four layers
- Top it off with shredded cheese
- Add a dollop of cream cheese to each of the sides of the bread
- Fold the bread slices down such that the bread touches the cream cheese
- Bake the pie in the oven at 200 degrees celsius for 15 minutes
Whether you’re enjoying this dish yourself or sharing with loved ones, you’ll definitely have a satisfying meal. Plus, Gardenia 100% Wholemeal Extra Soft and Fine Bread is baked with 100% wholemeal flour specially milled to its finest form. It also contains natural Stevia Leaf Extract which makes it 25% lower in sugar but you’d still enjoy the same great taste.
With these recipes, your meals for iftar or Raya gatherings just got better! Yummy, exciting and healthy - what’s not to love? Not to mention that you can also increase your whole grains intake by including Gardenia’s range of wholemeal bread and wraps in your dishes. This way, you can feel full longer and sustain your energy levels when you’re fasting. Time to get your Gardenia products on Ecommerce platforms such as Redmart, FairPrice Online etc. or make a visit to your nearest retail outlets!!
#HHWT Tip: Check out more recipe ideas from the Friends of Gardenia social media pages - Facebook and Instagram.
This article is brought to you by Gardenia Singapore.