Japan holds festivals all-year round and it’s one of the best places to experience the huge variety of unique, seasonal Japanese foods. With some of the biggest ones held during summertime, you can expect to find a variety of cooling desserts served by the many food stalls (yatai) lining up the street. One of them is choc banana - frozen bananas covered in melted chocolate and topped with all kinds of fun goodies such as sprinkles, snacks and candies ? Quick, simple and fun to make, you can look forward to indulging in this yummy snack with this easy frozen chocolate covered banana recipe down below!
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 2 big ripe but firm bananas
- 1 cup of dark or semisweet chocolate chips, chopped into small pieces
- Chopped almonds and pecans, granola or sprinkles (optional)
- 4 popsicle sticks
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut bananas in half and insert a popsicle stick into each half, but not all the way through. Place them on the baking sheet and freeze for about 15 minutes.
- Put the chopped chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl and melt in 30-second increments or in a half-filled pan of simmering water for about 2 minutes, stirring until smooth.
- Remove bananas from the freezer and roll each banana in the chocolate and quickly sprinkle your choice of topping on top (if using).
- Pop the bananas back into the freezer for about 30 minutes until completely set. Serve and enjoy!
- If you’re saving your choc bananas for another day, simply store them in an airtight container for up to a week.
Credit: @mama_of_two_daughters on Instagram
While you may not be able to experience a summer festival in Japan right now, you can certainly make these choco banana treats yourself and enjoy them at home ?