Durian lovers, have you gotten your fill of the king of fruit this durian season? Not only can you savour creamy durians at home but you can also enjoy them as desserts as well. Set aside some extra pieces and make one of the most popular sweet treats using its flesh - durian crepe!
P.S. Want more durian dessert recipes? Check out this list here.
Ingredients (serves 4 people)
For the crepe
- 8 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 4 tbsp tapioca flour
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp custard powder
- 2 tbsp castor sugar
- 2 whole eggs
- 80 ml whole milk
- 300 ml cold water
- 2 tsp cooking oil
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 pinch of saffron, activated with a little hot water
- oil for frying
For the filling
- 100 ml whole milk
- 3 tbsp custard powder
- 1 tbsp castor sugar
- 100g durian pulp
- 100ml non-dairy whipping cream
- Sift together all-purpose flour, tapioca flour, cornstarch and custard powder into mixing bowl. Add sugar, eggs, milk, water, oil, vanilla and saffron tincture and whisk until smooth. Sieve through strainer to remove any lumps, and allow to sit for 30 minutes.
- Combine milk, custard powder and sugar in a saucepan and heat to a light simmer. Stir in durian pulp and chill custard for 30 minutes.
- Whisk non-dairy whipping cream to stiff peaks. Fill into piping bag and chill for 30 minutes.
- Brush a little oil on a non-stick pan heated on low to medium. Ladle crepe batter in an even layer and fry on one side until cooked. Remove from pan when batter has dried out. Repeat until batter is finished.
- To assemble durian crepes, lay out crepe on a flat surface. Pipe in a layer of whipped cream, spoon on a layer of durian custard, and pipe over another layer of whipped cream. Fold crepe over into a square pillow. Chilled until ready to serve with a light dusting of icing sugar.
Check out this durian crepe video recipe by Buat Orang Lapo:
Now that you know how easy it is to make durian crepes, it's time to get into the kitchen and whip them up ?
For more recipes, check these out:
- 8 Simple Recipes You Can Make Using An Air Fryer
- 12 Easy Recipes You Can Make With A Rice Cooker
- 5 Easy Recipes You Can Make Using A Thermomix