Sometimes all you need is a good dessert to make your day better than it already is. And while there are plenty of amazing cookies, brownies and cakes out there to choose from, we’ll be shining the spotlight on pies today. But not just any pie - a Banoffee pie!
Made of layers of cream, banana and toffee, this classic English treat is every dessert lovers’ dream. Not only is it delicious to eat, but it’s simple to make too! So, get your baking mode on and prepare to whip up an awesome dessert with this easy Banoffee pie recipe 👩🍳
Note: Traditionally, toffee is used as one of the fillings for Banoffee pies, but other versions have also used dulce de leche (a South American confection made by heating condensed milk until it becomes the colour and consistency of caramel sauce). You can choose to make your toffee with The Daring Gourmet's easy recipe
or whip up some homemade dulce de leche using this easy recipe from Serious Eats
For the crust
For the cream
- ½ cup graham cracker crumbs
- 5 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 1 ¼ cup dulce de leche (refer to this easyrecipe on how you can make your own!)
- 2 large bananas, peeled and sliced crosswise
For the toppings (optional)
- 2 cups heavy cream
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla essence
- Chopped nuts
- Chocolate shavings
- Food processor (or improvise with a ziploc bag and a rolling pin)
- Hand or stand mixer
- 9-inch pie dish
- Preheat oven to 180°C
- Process the graham crackers in a food processor to a fine crumb. Or you can crush them in a sealed ziploc bag using a rolling pin. Then, combine graham cracker crumbs, melted butter and sugar in a mixing bowl.
- Press the crumbs into the bottom and slightly up the side of a pie dish. Make sure that this crust is tight and compact. Pop it in the oven for about 15 to 16 minutes. Then, remove from the oven and let it cool for 15 minutes.
- Using a hand or stand mixer, whip heavy cream, sugar and vanilla essence on high speed for about 3 to 4 minutes until medium peaks form.
- Spread sweet condensed milk on top of the crust and arrange a layer of banana slices on it. Then, spread a layer ofwhipped cream on top.
- Refrigerate the pie uncovered for at least 2 hours (or up to a day). Once ready to serve, garnish with toppings if you like.
So whether you’re craving for a sweet treat or looking to expand your horizons in baking, this classic English banoffee pie is perfect for you 😄
- You can make the crust ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator for up to 2 days or even freeze it up to 3 months.
- If you have any leftover pie, store it in the fridge for up to 5 days.