Been dreaming of travelling to Japan? Everyone who has been to the country will tell you that Tokyo, Osaka and Kyoto are the top few cities you must visit for the best Japan trip ever, especially if it’s your first trip! Get a taste of metropolitan Tokyo, before heading to the magical city of Osaka and wrapping up your trip in peaceful, traditional Kyoto ✈️
Conquering Japan in 7 days? Absolutely possible, you have our word! Suzana and Elaine went on an amazing adventure around Japan, enjoying everything the 3 cities had to offer at discounted prices after booking their trip with Klook! Wonder how they did it? Read on for our ultimate 7D6N Tokyo-Osaka-Kyoto itinerary 🤗
The cities in Japan are mainly connected through a series of train/subway lines, which makes travelling around super convenient. In Tokyo alone, there’s 13 colour-coded subway lines for easier navigation, 9 of which are operated by Tokyo Metro and 4 by Toei. Fares can get expensive, depending on the operators and how far you travel. Plus, if you’re changing operators, a transfer ticket is needed. To save on cost, we’d recommend purchasing the Tokyo Subway Ticket (valid for 24, 48 or 72 hours), which gives you unlimited rides on all Tokyo Metro and Toei subway lines!
For those travelling between cities, the Japan Rail (JR) Pass is your saving grace 🙌 Valid for 7 days, 14 days or 21 days, this pass gives you unlimited access to all JR Group Railways, Shinkansen (bullet trains), buses and more! The pass can currently be purchased at selected stations and airports in Japan (full list here). ). Otherwise, you can opt to buy it in advance on Klook and redeem it at any JR Rail Pass exchange office in major JR stations 😊
P.S. The JR Pass covers the whole of Japan, however, if you’re travelling to select cities or taking a day trip, Klook also offers passes to West Kansai, Northern Kyushu area and more! Plus, buying online on Klook would be cheaper and save you the hassle of navigating in Japanese if you’re buying on the spot in Japan.
#HHWT Tip: If you’re a social media junkie like us, stay connected across Japan with a portable 4G WiFi router! Book on Klook for easy pick up at an airport of your choosing and use it on the go. Do note that the router has a 7GB limit, so use it wisely 😜 Alternatively, you can top up just a couple more dollars for a 4G WiFi router with unlimited data!
Travelling from Haneda/Narita Airport to your hotel
Once you’ve touched down in Tokyo, you can either opt to take the train or subway to your hotel, and we highly recommend using Hyperdia to figure out the best route to travel around Japan. For those travelling in huge groups, you can also consider booking a private airport transfer (Klook offers this service for travellers arriving from both Haneda and Narita airport!).
#HHWT Tip: For those with the JR Pass, save on transport cost by taking the Narita Express from Narita Airport to Tokyo Station. You’ll be there in 53 minutes! 🤗
Want to travel hands-free instead and store your luggage somewhere without travelling to the hotel? Under Klook, LuggAgent transports your luggage for you from Haneda or Narita airport, with same day delivery! No more lugging around heavy bags on crowded trains or subways 👍
Get $100 off* attraction tickets, transportation passes & more when you book with Klook!
Use the code YES100 to unlock $100 off* all attraction, transportation, tours and theme park deals on Klook! *Terms & conditions apply
P.S. Malaysian travellers, find out how you can get RM300 off* all Klook deals with the code <YES300>! For Indonesian travellers, use the code <YES1JT> to get RP1JT off* Klook activities, attraction passes and more!
Arrival at Narita airport
- Konnichiwa Japan! You’ve officially touched down to the Land of the Rising Sun ✨ If the airplane food left you feeling hungry, swing by KINEYAMUGIMARU, a halal-certified udon eatery at Terminal 1 for a quick refuel 🍜
Pick up your JR Pass
- For this trip, Suzana and Elaine purchased the 7 Day JR Pass (Ordinary Pass) for quick and easy travel on the shinkansen. If you’re from Singapore, you can pick up the exchange voucher from Klook’s office. For other countries, you can arrange for mail delivery and receive the voucher in 7 working days. How convenient is that? 😊
#HHWT Tip: Get up to $100* off your Klook purchase(s) with the code <YES100>! A minimum spending of $450 is required, so we’d recommend combining your JR Pass purchase with other products to enjoy this awesome discount.
- You’ll need to present the exchange voucher, along with your passport, and redeem it at any JR Rail Pass exchange office in major JR stations. Check out the full list here!
- Note: The JR Pass cannot be used for travel on NOZOMI and MIZUHO trains on the Tokaido, Sanyo, and Kyushu Shinkansen lines.
Pick up your Tokyo Subway Pass
- With the JR Pass in your arsenal, you’ll need the Tokyo Subway Pass to get around Tokyo. You can purchase the pass for either 24, 48 or 72 hours!
- If you book on Klook, you’ll get instant confirmation of your purchase PLUS convenient pick up at the airport!
- To use it, simply insert the card into the slot at the ticket gate and retrieve it when it pops out again
Check in at Keio Plaza Hotel
- Situated in the heart of Shinjuku, Keio Plaza Hotel Tokyo is perfect for all travellers!
- Whether you’re travelling with kids, a large group or with your other half, you’re in for a great stay, given its spacious rooms and awesome location.
- The best part? The hotel offers free shuttle bus services to Disneyland!
Dinner at Yakiniku Panga
- Grab your buddies and end your first night in Japan with a grill fest at Yakiniku Panga!
- Sink your teeth into tender, halal wagyu beef that’s been grilled to perfection
#HHWT Tip: Get a free soft drink or ice-cream when you flash our code! Just sign up on our website (it’s free!) to redeem this sweet treat 🍦
- Note: Though this eatery is halal-certified, alcohol is served at the establishment.
Visit the happiest place(s) on earth; Tokyo Disneyland or Disneysea!
- Disney fans, rejoice! Here’s where you can unleash your inner child, hop on thrilling rides and meet your favourite Disney characters 😊
- Skip the endlessly long queues and book your admission tickets in advance on Klook! Completely hassle-free, you’ll even get instant confirmation of your purchase, which gives you more time to spend on your favourite rides and attractions!
#HHWT Tip: Use our code TRAVELHHWT to get $5 off your first purchase on Klook!
- Do note that you’ll still need to print a physical copy of your ticket for admission.
#HHWT Tip: Interested in a back to back Disney adventure? Check out Klook’s 2 Day Disney Pass and spend a day at BOTH Disneyland and Disneysea or enjoy two full days at one park!
- Snag yourself a FASTPASS* and beat the queue! Disney is notorious for having insanely long queues everywhere, plus the passes are limited and run out quickly 😱
- Be sure to get the passes in the right order as well as the FASTPASSes for the popular rides run out fast! Check out this article for our foolproof, FASTPASS battle strategy 💪
- Have halal bento sets delivered straight to Disneyland! Prepared in a halal-certified kitchen, Japan Halal Kitchen dishes up authentic and unique bentos like Malaysian Satay, Grilled Salmon with Prawn, Teriyaki Beef and Karaage Chicken 😋
- Grab a spot 30-45 minutes before the parade starts! If you see people sitting in the middle of nowhere, chances are, they’re probably waiting for the parade to start. Munch on your yummy bento to pass the time 😋
- Stock up on the most adorable character merchandise! From popcorn buckets, soft toys, collectibles to hats, you’ll need an extra luggage just to bring these home 😂
- Request for a prayer room at the Main Street House (Disneyland) or Guest Relations (Disneysea); the staff will gladly lead you to a room that you can use 😊
#HHWT Tip: Prayer mats and garments are not provided so do remember to bring your own!
- Stay till the end for a fantastic fireworks display, no one does it better than Disney ✨
Early bird catches the worm at Tsukiji Fish Market
- Check out the freshest seafood this side of Tokyo! Marvel over massive crabs, scallops and more that’s been freshly captured by the local fishermen.
- Head on down to the market from 3-4am to catch the live tuna auction
- Explore the inner market – Feast on delectable seafood like grilled scallops, baby squids, freshly shucked oysters and more 😍
Note: The food items sold at Tsukiji Fish Market are not halal-certified, it’s best to check with the individual vendors before consuming at your own discretion.
- Explore the outer market too – You’ll find many stalls selling various items, ranging from fresh produce, tamago (egg), unagi (eel), Japanese knives, ceramic cutlery to Japanese tea.
Late breakfast at Luna Hala Café
- This cafe has a halal menu to cater towards their Muslim customers so feel free to dig into their oishii grilled salmon set!
Have a taste of olden day Japan at Asakusa
Personalised rickshaw tour around Asakusa
- Discover Asakusa like never before while riding in a traditional rickshaw! Pulled by a friendly, English-speaking guide, you’ll pass by iconic landmarks like Kaminarimon, Geisha Town and the Tokyo Skytree.
- Available on Klook, the ride is 30 minutes – 2 hours long, depending on the package PLUS you can customise the tour! We’d recommend starting at Asakusa station and end the tour at the Sensō-ji area.
Visit Sensō-ji Temple and Nakamise Street while wearing a traditional kimono
- Rent a kimono and walk around the oldest temple in Tokyo for the full Japanese experience! Don’t forget to snap photos of the iconic Kaminarimon (Thunder Gate) at the outer gate of the temple!
- Once you’re done exploring, head to Nakamise, a shopping street near the second outer gate. Splurge away on unique souvenirs, halal local snacks and more!
- Head on to Hyobando (found at the start of the street) to stock up on okaki or traditional Japanese rice crackers. Yummy flavours include seaweed, red pepper and matcha 😋
#HHWT Tip: Sign up on our website (it’s free!) to get 5% off your total bill 🤗
#HHWT Tip: As you stroll along Nakamise, do look out for Kameya, which makes ningyo-yaki – tiny baked doll cakes stuffed with red bean! Plus, you get to watch them being baked. Definitely one of our favourite Japanese snacks 😛
Lunch at Sushiken
- The first halal sushi restaurant in Japan, this eatery uses only the finest ingredients and like many of the restaurants here, it’s cheaper to dine here during lunch 🍣
#HHWT Tip: There’s a prayer room on the second floor, with a wudhu area and prayer mats provided!
Shop till you drop at Shibuya
- Home to the one of the world’s most busiest pedestrian crossings and huge departmental stores, Shibuya is every shopaholic’s dream!
- Must visit stores include the flagship Uniqlo store, Tokyu Hands and the Loft. For more stores, check out our ultimate guide to shopping in Tokyo!
Dinner at Gyumon
- The perfect place for an authentic yakiniku dinner after a day’s worth of shopping! 🛍
- Choose the cut you prefer and they’ll serve it to you raw and lightly seasoned for you to grill on the charcoal stove. The beef tenderloin, grilled to medium rare, is just perfect! 😋
Onwards to Osaka (3-4 hours)
- Time to head to the magical city of Osaka! Take a shinkansen with your JR pass, which will take around 3-4 hours, depending on which train you take.
Osaka is largely divided into 2 main areas: the Umeda area, called “Kita” and the Nanba/Tennoji area, called “Minami”. The subway pretty much covers the whole city area, the JR Osaka Loop Line which circles the central districts, as well as other connecting private railways.
With the 2 day Osaka Amazing Pass, you’ll get unlimited rides on buses, trains and private railways PLUS free access to over 30 sightseeing spots in the city! You can easily get this pass on Klook (at a discounted price!) and receive your e-voucher instantly 😌 You can exchange the voucher for the pass at Osaka City Air Terminal (JR Namba Station).
#HHWT Tip: Use the code <YES100> to enjoy up to $100* off your Klook purchase(s)! There’s a minimum spending of $450, so you can combine your JR Pass purchase with other Osaka products to unlock this awesome discount.
Lunch at Matsuri
- The city’s first ever halal takoyaki restaurant, you can savour popular Japanese dishes like takoyaki, okonomiyaki and ramen at pocket-friendly prices 😋
#HHWT Tip: Looking for a prayer space? Ask the friendly staff and they’ll provide you with a room, complete with prayer mats, qibla’ direction, and a wudhu area 😊
Sight-see (for FREE!) using the Osaka Amazing Pass
- Enjoy FREE entrance to top attractions like Osaka Castle, Umeda Sky Building Floating Garden Observatory, and the Kamigata Ukiyoe Museum!
Check out the night scene at Dotonbori
- Take in the lively sights of Dotonburi, and swing by Shinsaibashi, which is the go-to place in Osaka for all things shopping!
- Hop on the Tombori River Cruise (P.S. The ride is FREE with the Osaka Amazing Pass!)
Credit: @newworldinn on Instagram
Dinner at Ramen Honolu
- Slurp up a piping hot, hearty dinner at Ramen Honulu to end your day 🍜
Credit: @nandharamadhani on Instagram
Check in at Hotel Monterey Grasmere Osaka
- This cosy hotel is just a short walk away from JR Namba Station
- Disclaimer: Suzana and Elaine booked their room super last minute so it was bit pricey 😅 We’d recommend booking as early as you can!
Be a wizard for a day at Universal Studios Japan (USJ) ⚡️
- No trip to Osaka is complete without visiting USJ! As the park is super popular (and crowded), you don’t want to risk not being able to get your tickets or the express pass when you reach the ticketing counter. Remember to book your USJ admission ticket in advance on Klook to get instant confirmation!
#HHWT Tip: Quote TRAVELHHWT to get $5 off your first purchase on Klook!
Credit: tc_manasan on Flickr
- Skip the ridiculously long queues with the USJ Express Pass and shorten your waiting time! You’ll also get the best views of the amazing parades with the special Express Pass holder viewing areas
Note: You’ll still need an admission ticket (which is a separate purchase) to enter the park.
- To save even more time, opt for the USJ VIP Wristband to enter the park via the VIP passage and be first in line for your favourite attraction 🤗 Have access to a secret website link which reveals the exact opening time of USJ the day before your visit, so that you can beat the crazy crowds! Again, you’ll still need an admission ticket (which is a separate purchase) to enter the park. Do note that you have to collect the Wristband from Harukas 300 Observatory at least one day before!
#HHWT Tip: DO NOT purchase tickets from unrecognised retailers as your tickets will be nullified! Stick to authorised resellers like Klook and book your tickets with them to avoid any last minute disappointments. Oh, and keep a look out on their Facebook page for discount codes, which they offer regularly too 😊
- All aboard the Hogwarts express! Time to live out your childhood dream of going to Hogwarts and proudly don your house colours 😜
- Complete your Hogwarts student experience with a frothy mug of Butterbeer (non-alcoholic of course 😉) while wondering around Hogsmede
- Visit popular attractions like Despicable Me Minion Mayhem, The Flying Dinosaur, The Amazing Adventures of Spider Man, and more!
#HHWT Tip: Get the the USJ Express Pass on Klook, especially if you’re visiting on a peak day or if you hate queueing! Suzana and Elaine were assigned specific timeslots to ride the popular attractions and this was a lifesaver as the park was really crowded.
- Meet your favourite mascots, catch the free parades and splurge on character merchandise like adorable soft toys and popcorn buckets 😍
- Hop on thrilling 4D rides based on popular animes like Evangelion XR Ride, Godzilla, Attack on Titan and Monster Hunter!
Lunch at Azzurra di Capri
- Have a slice of delicious vegetarian pizza 🍕
Note: Do note that this eatery is not halal-certified, however, vegetarian options are available. We advise that you dine at your own discretion.
#HHWT Tip: For those staying late till dinner, there’s a Muslim-friendly menu at Red Lobster, just outside of USJ.
- You can request for a room at Family Services to fulfill your prayers before leaving the park
Dinner at Bulls
- Halal shabu-shabu, steak AND sukiyaki?! Every meat lover’s dream come true 😋
Credit: @tomboy_slike on Instagram
Kyoto, here we go! (<30 minutes)
- With your JR Pass in hand, take the shinkansen to the historic city of Kyoto 🚅
Just like Tokyo and Osaka, Kyoto is connected by a series of train lines, subway and buses. With the ICOCA IC Card, you can enjoy discounts on public transportation and shopping in the Kansai area (which includes Kyoto and Osaka!)
P.S. Read till the end of the total cost breakdown of our Klook purchases!
Note: Before heading over to Kyoto, you can redeem this card at the Osaka City Air Terminal (JR Namba Station).
Check in to New Miyako Hotel Kyoto
- Dump your heavy luggage at the New Miyako Hotel, which is just a stone’s throw away from Kyoto station
#HHWT Tip: Stay near to Kyoto station for easy access to majority of the top local attractions; they’re within short walking distance from the station.
Fushimi Inari Shrine
- Walk through the thousands of torii gates at the Shinto shrine
- The entire walk to the summit of Mount Inari and back will take you around 2-3 hours, with breath-taking views of Kyoto along the way.
- Unlike other temples or shrines, entrance here is free!
#HHWT Tip: Go further up the path to take photos of just yourselves or the gates without the throngs of eager visitors that crowd the lower levels of the shrine.
- The oldest and largest temple in Kyoto, this attraction is also one of Japan’s best autumn viewing spots 🍂
Credit: Yusuke Umezawa on Flickr
- The largest traditional food market in Kyoto, Nishiki Market is over 400 years old!
- Savour authentic local food like fresh sashimi and green tea 😋
- Be sure to swing by the market before it closes at 5pm
Disclaimer: The food items at Nishiki Market are not halal-certified, we advise that you dine at your own discretion.
Dinner at Naritaya
- This halal-certified eatery serves up delicious bowls of miso ramen and crispy fried chicken karaage 😋
- There’s even a prayer room, complete with ablution facilities and prayer times!
Night stroll along Gion
- Travel back in time and wander through rows of traditional wooden Japanese houses and shop lots
Credit: Ryan Scullin on Flickr
- Try to catch a glimpse of a real life geisha; the best places to see them are at Hanami-koji-dori (the section between Shijo-dori and Kennin-ji Temple)
Morning walk at Sagano Bamboo Forest
- Take a leisurely stroll among the towering bamboo groves and soak in the tranquil vibes of the forest
#HHWT Tip: If you get there early enough in the morning, there’ll be less people about and you’ll get to take a clear photo without the crowds!
Hop on a train ride of a lifetime
- Said to be one of the most beautiful railway journeys in Japan, you’ll be treated to gorgeous views of the city, regardless of the season!
- Book your Sagano Romantic Train ticket on Klook for easy pick up from central Osaka before you head over to Kyoto
#HHWT Tip: Remember to use our code TRAVELHHWT and get $5 off your first purchase on Klook!
Lunch at Yoshiya Arashiyama
- Dine with a view at Yoshiya Arashiyama and order hala washoku (traditional Japanese dishes) from their Muslim-friendly menu
Stroll along Kamo River before taking a coffee break
- Take a break from the touristy side of Kyoto and sit by the picturesque Kamo River
- Treat yourself to a cuppa at % Arabica Kyoto
Credit: @amber820414 on Instagram
Time to head home 😢
- Say sayonara to Kyoto and take the shinkansen back to Tokyo using your JR Pass (the journey takes around 2 hours and 40 minutes)
Dinner at Narita Airport
- Have one last meal at La Toque, which serves yummy Japanese curry! From chicken cutlet curry to salmon curry, you’ll definitely find a dish that you’ll love here.
TOTAL COST BREAKDOWN
|4G WiFi ($6/per day)||$42|
|Kimono Experience (Asakusa)||$144|
|Rickshaw Tour (Asakusa)||$52|
|Subway Ticket (3 Days)||$19|
|Osaka||USJ E Ticket||$92||$234|
|USJ Express Pass||$66|
|USJ VIP Wristband||$36|
|Kyoto||ICOCA IC Card||$26||$43|
To unlock the $100 discount, 2 separate purchases must be made. For the first purchase, a minimum spending of $450 is required, where you’ll get $50 off when you use the code <YES100>. After which, you’ll receive a second promo code via email. Now, you can make your second purchase (with a minimum spending of $300) to enjoy another $50 off! For a step by step guide, do check out this link.
HHWT’s Review of Klook
Booking our attraction tickets and transportation passes on Klook for our Japan trip was simple and fuss-free! We were able to get instant tickets for popular attractions like Universal Studios Japan (including express passes!) and Tokyo Disneyland so we didn’t have to worry that the tickets would run out when we reached the park. Plus, we were able to skip the ticketing queues and go straight to the entrance queues so we could save more time. We really like how the bookings are all available on the Klook mobile app so remember to download the Klook app before you leave for your vacay!
However, we highly recommend that you read through the descriptions of all your bookings carefully as we purchased a 4G WiFi device for our trip without realizing that we selected the option with the 7GB data package! It would have been better if the data package was reflected in the product title. So if you can’t travel without unlimited data like us, please choose the unlimited data option for the 4G WiFi device!
And that concludes Suzana and Elaine’s 7 day adventure around Japan! They wouldn’t have been able to cover 3 cities in just a week without the JP Rail Pass, travelling from city to city aboard the shinkansen really helped to both cut down on costs and speed up their journey. Now, who says that you can’t conquer Tokyo, Osaka and Kyoto in 7 days? 😉
Get $100 off* admission tickets, transportation passes & more when you book with Klook!
Unlock $100 off* all attraction, transportation, tour and theme park deals on Klook with the code YES100! *Terms & conditions apply
P.S. For those in Malaysia, you can get RM300 off* all Klook deals with the code <YES300>! Indonesian travellers, use the code <YES1JT> to get RP1JT off* Klook activities, attraction passes and more!
This article was brought to you by Klook.