An eclectic blend of history, culture and all things trendy, Bugis is a culturally vibrant district with origins as a thriving Malay enclave. With its grid-like charms, exploring the Kampong Glam area closed to the majestic Sultan Mosque will bring you to a myriad of laneways housing chic (and halal!) cafes, vintage clothing shops as well as affordable hostel accommodations ?Credit: GiphyStaying in a hostel is a great way to experience a different side to travelling. Aside from the moolahs that you’ll be saving, there is also the chance to share a room with other guests and enjoy the rich diversity of people from all over the world. Here are the top hostels in Bugis for your next stay in Singapore!Note: Fares shown are based on a search from 26 Nov - 2 Dec 2018. Do also take note that some hostels may have policies against accepting young children as guests.
1. The POD @ Beach Road Boutique Capsule HotelA novelty option for a totally fresh new experience - stay at a capsule hotel over at The POD! Conceptualised in Japan in the 1970s, capsule hotels initially catered basic accommodation to tired businessmen who needed just a single capsule pod to rest for a night.Now, capsule hotels like The POD offer fuss-free and convenient living without compromising on comfort, quality or style. Inspired by modern design and minimalism, each pod (the bed) comfortably fits one and comes with a personal locker ?Credit: @kerr91 on Instagram
The POD also has a self-service pantry and laundry room for your convenience. The gorgeous dark grey palette provides a really sleek and modern-chic ambiance. Even their shared washroom (equipped with self-contained private bathrooms for added comfort!) share the same monochrome decor with its long marble vanity top.
Credit: @kanelwilliam on InstagramDormitories separated by gender are available. If you’re looking for a space all to yourself and don’t mind a tight squeeze, private rooms called Single Pod Suite (for 1) and Queen Pod Suite (for 2) are also available.Price:
From IDR 354,000 on AgodaAddress:
289 Beach Road, Singapore 199552
Contact Number: +65 6298 8505
2. Five Stones HostelNamed after a traditional children’s game, Five Stones Hostel playfully entices guests with its youthful decor and colourful murals. Five Stones has various accommodation types to suit your needs be it private rooms, ladies-only or the regular mixed dorms where you can mingle with other guests ☺️Credit: @papapuansulthan on Instagram
The most cost-efficient ones are their dormitory-style rooms with those accommodating to more beds being the cheaper options.
Credit: @kartika_yuswadi on InstagramPrivate double (queen bed for two) or twin (bunkbeds) are available and can be more economical to split the bill with your travelling companion. Do note that all rooms share the communal shower and bathroom facilities.Credit: @thebigdom on InstagramThe hostel’s common area includes the pantry and lounge with a huge comfy sofa and a rainbow of colourful accents to brighten your mood – ensuring your stay is a cosy and vibrant one!Price:
From IDR 186,000 on AgodaAddress: 285 Beach Road, Singapore 199550
Contact Number: +65 6535 5607
3. Superb Hostel
This is one hostel that has done away with the dorm-style rooms and instead offers private guest rooms ranging from a single futon-bed type to a three-person bunk-bed room. Superb Hostel, like many in the area, has been converted from historic shop houses and is furnished to provide a fuss-free stay with comfort and convenience being its priorities.
Credit: Superb Hostel on Facebook
It is more economical to go for their 2 or 3-persons rooms and have the cost split between you and your friends. However, if you’re a solo traveller, Rp465,000 is pretty reasonable to get a whole room to yourself. All guest rooms have a small shelf or a small table, reading lights, ceiling light, an air-condition blower, an air-con remote control, international sockets, and a door lock card.
Credit: Superb Hostel on FacebookPrice:
From IDR 464,000 on AgodaAddress:
2 Jalan Pinang, Singapore 199150
Contact Number: +65 8668 9990
4. Adamson InnOffering lovely views of Sultan Mosque right by the hostel entrance, Adamson Inn offers an economical stay for travellers looking for comfort and convenience in Singapore. Located along the same road as Superb Hotel above, this hostel has quite a variety of accommodation types with rates for a bed in their 4-bedroom dormitory starting at ~Rp 345,000 ?Credit: @adamson.inn on Instagram
If you’re travelling with enough people to fit a larger room, opt for their triple/family rooms where the cost per person can be significantly reduced when you split the bill!
Credit: @adamson.inn on InstagramFor example, it’d cost you less per person to take the triple room (at about Rp 308,000) then it is to take a single bed each in their dormitory room.Price:
From IDR 158,000 on AgodaAddress:
3 Jalan Pinang, Singapore 199135
+65 6298 2382
5. Cube Boutique Capsule Hotel @ Kampung GlamCredit: @satosingapore on InstagramLocated in traditional shophouses beautifully renovated with modern interiors, this charming capsule hotel boasts of having the best relaxed communal vibes so you can mix around with other travellers. Designed to create the ideal atmosphere for sleep, Cube Boutique Capsule Hotel @ Kampung Glam offers their capsules fitted with plush mattresses, sound insulation and air-circulation for that rest you deserve ?♀️Credit: @cubestaysg on InstagramA single pod single is equipped with universal plugs, USB phone chargers, and built-in safes, with locked storage underneath for your luggage. Credit: @perempuanbackpacker on InstagramA shared accommodation setting with impeccable hotel facilities, Cube also offers a gorgeous common dining space for guests to comfortable meet and interact.Price:
From IDR 360,000 on Agoda.Address:
55 Bussorah Street, Singapore 199471
Contact Number: +65 6291 1696
6. Atlantis Pods @ BugisAnother capsule hostel to tickle your novelty toes is Atlantis Pods @ Bugis. This hostel aims to be your cosy retreat after a day out in sunny Singapore ? Atlantis Pods also offers the comfort of a simple accomodation and the convenience of location. Although it is slightly away from the bustle of Kampong Glam, it's still located close to Bugis Junction Shopping Mall and the connecting Bugis MRT Station.Credit: Atlantis Pods At Bugis on Facebook
There is also a very cute and spacious communal dining-lounge space for you to unwind and relax before starting your day in Singapore!
Credit: Atlantis Pods At Bugis on FacebookPrice:
From IDR 240,000 on AgodaAddress:
2 Tan Quee Lan Street #02-00, Singapore
+65 6254 0378
7. Jamilla Boutique InnCredit: Jamilla Boutique Inn on Facebook
Along the same road where Aliwal Arts Center sits is where you'll find Jamila Boutique Inn. This hostel offers dormitory-like accommodation where one bed in a 4-bed room only comes up to ~IDR Rp250,000.
Credit: Jamilla Boutique Inn on Facebook
If you’re travelling with two friends, you can consider opting for their deluxe triple room that comes with a private bathroom. It costs ~IDR Rp1,070,000 which can be split by three to lower the cost per person!
Credit: Jamilla Boutique Inn on FacebookJamila Boutique Inn has facilities like a communal kitchen and dining space as well as an open-air rooftop terrace where you can enjoy a stunning view of the city skyline.Price:
From IDR 284,000 on AgodaAddress:
10 Aliwal Street, Singapore 199903
+65 6816 0642
8. Central 65 HostelFurther away from the central Kampong Glam district and located just on the fringe of Bugis in the Jalan Besar area is Central 65 Hostel. Credit: Central 65 Hostel & Cafe on Facebook
Not only is it an oasis for resting and relaxing in a fully refurbished and affordable communal experience, but this hostel also offers dormitory-style rooms that will help you save a few bucks without compromising comfort or safety ?
Credit: Central 65 Hostel & Cafe on FacebookStaying in a dorm doesn’t mean you have to forgo any privacy! Privacy blinds are provided at the foot of their pod-like bed. The mattress is said to be of high thread count linen on top of having a padded mattress protector. Credit: Central 65 Hostel & Cafe on FacebookCentral 65 even has a rooftop Jacuzzi overlooking the Jalan Besar district, so you can let go of all the fatigue. Do note that use of the Jacuzzi is chargeable and requires a booking 2 hours before use.Price:
From IDR 150,000 on AgodaAddress:
134 Jalan Besar Singapore 208852
+65 6298 0015
Website | Facebook There you have it - 8 lovely hostels in Bugis that will help you save your pennies for an awesome stay in Singapore! It is already a refreshing experience to stay in a hostel but with pod options and private room alternatives, you can bet it'll be a novel experience as well. So book away and we’ll see you here on our sunny island soon!?