Have you ever daydreamed about experiencing your first snowfall? Catching snowflakes, building a snowman, having a snow fight perhaps? For me, I experienced my first snowfall in Seoul, in the middle of having my breakfast. I remember racing outside the door and involuntarily spreading my arms as snow fell over Seoul.
It felt like an #elsamoment !
So what will yours be?
If you are thinking of heading some place to experience your first snowfall, Seoul is a perfect city for you to witness your first snowfall ever! Many shy away from the cold thinking there aren’t many activities that can be done besides playing with snow but fear not! Here, I have compiled my 5 compelling reasons to visit Seoul during winter! (Don’t worry about the language barrier, we have you covered)
1. Experience winter sports!
For you adventure seekers, South Korea offers a great place to start off your first skiing experience! Okay, these ski parks are technically not IN Seoul, but they’re a short bus ride away from Seoul, think 2 and half hours! There are plenty of ski resorts such as Phoenix Park, Alpensia Resort and Konjiam Resort. The facilities are great and there’s a good place for beginner skiers. You can book a lesson for beginners there!
The best part about these parks is that they offer night skiing! It was such a different experience for me! Not to worry as the lights are bright enough for you to see and there’s no glaring sunlight. It is actually easier to ski at night as you can see the paths more clearly! In addition, there are condos near the ski slope so you can practically just walk back to your condo with ease!
Fun fact: Phoenix Park was actually the filming location for the drama “Autumn in my Heart!” So all you kdrama addicts, don’t miss out on this site!
Ski Parks near Seoul
- Phoenix Park
Address: 174, Taegi-ro, Bongpyeong-myeon, Pyeongchang-gun, Gangwon-do
- Take an intercity bus to Jangpyeong Intercity Bus Terminal.
- Take a free shuttle bus from the bus terminal to Phoenix Park.
- (Shuttle bus schedule: 09:00, 11:00, 13:00, 15:00, 17:00, 20:00 / Subject to change.)
- Samseong Station (Seoul Subway Line 2), Exit 4. Bus stop is located behind Glass Tower. (Departure time: 10:00)
- Alpensia Resort
Adress: 325, Solbong-ro, Daegwallyeong-myeon, Pyeongchang-gun, Gangwon-do
How to get there:
- Apgujeong Station (Seoul Subway Line 3),Exit 6. Board the Alpensia shuttle bus at the parking lot next to Hyundai Department Store. (Departure time: 08:30)
- Jamsil Station (Seoul Subway Line 2), Exit 4. Board the Alpensia shuttle bus in front of Lotte Mart. (Departure time: 09:00)
- Konjiam Resort
Address: San 23-1, Doung-ri, Docheok-myeon, Gwangju-si, Gyeonggi-do
How to get there:
- From Exit #1 at Gangbyeon Station (Subway Line 2) take Bus No.1113-1, OR
- From Exit #6 at Jamsil Station take Bus No. 500-1, OR
- From Exit #7 of Gangnam Station, take Bus No. 500-2.
- Get off at Gonjiam Terminal and take a taxi to Konjiam Resort
Seoul Square Ice Skating
If you prefer a leisure sport, why not try ice skating instead? Skate your way at Seoul’s square along with many Koreans! This central place offers affordable skating rentals. What’s more? You can walk to popular Seoul tourist spots afterwards such as
Period: December – February (check website for more updates)
Opening hours: Sun – Thu 10:00 – 21:30 / Fri, Sat, and National Holidays: 1 hour extended operation
Fees: 1,000 won per hour (including admission fee and rental fee) *Be sure to bring gloves (available for purchase on site).
Address: 110, Sejong-daero, Jung-gu, Seoul Taepyeongno 1-ga
How to get there:
1) City Hall Station (Subway Line 1, 2), Exit 6.
2) Gwanghwamun Station (Subway Line 5), Exit 5.
3) Euljiro 1-ga Station (Subway Line 2), Exit 1 or 8.
2. Experience beautiful picturesque winter landscape
From the month of November to January, Seoul will transform itself into a magical wonderland. Expect to see gorgeous winter sceneries everywhere you turn! Walk around and admire the beautiful winter scenery! this is something you can’t enjoy if you are in a tropical country! Be mesmerised and take lots of pictures! Especially in Nami island, where the filming for Winter Sonata was made!
Did I see you rekindling your love for these dramas yet?
3. Experience fun winter theme parks!
Everland, the famous Korea theme park turns into a Christmas wonderland! Check out the pretty fairy lights around the park! In addition, only during winter, the unique ride called “Snowbuster” opens to public! It is a snow tubing course and there are 3 kinds of levels that you can ride on!
– Monch Kid’s Sledge (Kids only)
– Jungfrau Sledge (Adult + 1 kid only)
– Eiger Sledge (Adult only)
Period: Usually occurs in November – January (do check their website here for updates)
Opening Hours: Now till 12 Nov – 10am to 8pm, 13 Nov till end Dec – 10 am to 9pm. Christmas Eve and New Year’s Eve – 10am to 1 am (the next day).
Ticket Prices: Adult – 48,000₩, Children – 38,000₩ (single day)
How to get to Everland
Jeondae. Everland Station (Ever Line), Exit 3. Then, take the shuttle bus to Everland. (Operating hours 05:30-23:30)
1) Sinnonhyeon Station, Gangnam Station, Yangjae Station: Bus 5002
2) Pangyo, Segok-dong, Suseo Station, Songpa Station, Jamsil Station, Gangbyeon Station: Bus 5700
3) Sadang Station, Nambu Terminal (Bundang and Gwangju via): Bus 1500-2
4) Gangbyeon Station, Gangdong Station (via Gwangju): Bus 1113
4. Eat yummy unique ice creams!
Feast your taste buds to these unique ice creams that are found in Seoul. While I agree its cold to eat ice cream, that is also what makes it more fun! Try the macaroon ice cream at Myeongdong! A yummy chocolate ice cream surrounded with 2 layers of chewy macaroon! You definitely have to try this unique ice cream!
If you are game enough, why not try the 32cm twirly cone too!
5. Lastly, experience snow!
Experience your FIRST snowfall in Seoul!
Build a snowman! Have a snow fight! Make snow angels! Catch snowflakes! Snowfall is unpredictable in Seoul, but snowfall will usually begin in late November! You’ll get to wake up to a blanket of white snow! And hey! Free air conditioning all day long! Create your first snow memory here in Seoul!
Are you compelled to pack up your bags and head to Seoul yet? I sure hope you do!
*Do note that the food items mentioned in this post are NOT halal-certified. We advise our readers to consume at their own discretion.