Alhamdulillah, the blessed month of Ramadan is upon us again! While we’re in the midst of making spiritual or physical preparations for fasting and ibadah, there’s one question that we always ask ourselves - what should I eat for iftar? Credit: giphyWell, no need to rack your brains because we’ve got the ultimate iftar guide you need for Ramadan 2019!?
1. Long John Silver’sWe don’t know about you, but the thought of having Long John Silver’s (or LJS) for iftar is comfort food to us. There’s just something about its light and crunchy batter that makes it so yummy and addictive. This Ramadan, LJS is giving you a taste of 2 iconic Singaporean flavours - salted egg and chilli crab! Your classic 2pc Chicken & 3pc Shrimp combo will taste even better with savoury-sweet golden salted egg sauce plus fragrant curry leaves and chilli padi.
For those of you who want to go all out on seafood, savour their Fish & 3pc Shrimp combo
topped with chilli crab gravy instead! The gravy is spicy, sweet and slightly tangy and pairs perfectly with the crisp batter of the fried fish and shrimps! You can get both mains with their crispy fries and regular Iced Milo for just $7.90.
If LJS’ fried items don’t suit your fancy, not to worry! Did you know that they serve grilled chicken too? Their Grilled Cajun Chicken combo (from $8.60) comes with juicy grilled chicken thigh, fragrant rice, crispy fries, a choice of side and regular drink. Trust us, you won’t get enough of this mouthwatering chicken which is grilled to perfection! To make your iftar meal even more complete, we recommend getting their creamy clam chowder ($2.20). What’s interesting is that it’s made with their in-house secret recipe! Don’t miss out on their well-loved salted egg dip ($1) too, perfect for dipping your crispy fries into.#HHWT Tip: Use promo code HHWT Free Corn to enjoy a free serving of corn with your meal! Halal status: Halal-certifiedHead over to any of the Long John Silver’s outlets here!Website | Facebook | Instagram
2. StraitsKitchen - Grand Hyatt SingaporeLooking to break your fast with a satisfying buffet? StraitsKitchen at Grand Hyatt Singapore is one of our top picks! Be dazzled by their delectable spread consisting of Malay, Chinese, Indian and Arabic cuisines. One of the main highlights of their Ramadan buffet is the traditional Ouzi - it’s a fusion dish where you’ll be treated to slow-cooked Arabic spiced lamb shank and savour it with oriental nut rice ?Seafood lovers would love their Southeast Asian seafood on ice and mixed seafood grill, which are sure to satisfy all your cravings!Did we mention that during Ramadan, Straits Kitchen has a date bazaar? Here’s your chance to get familiar with all the different dates and dried fruits from the Middle East and Africa. Bite into soft, moist and fully-ripened dates like ajwa (Saudi Arabia), delget nour (Tunisia), medjoul (South Africa) and more. #HHWT Tip: There’s a prayer room at Grand Hyatt Singapore too, so you can take your time to enjoy your buffet.
Make your reservations for StraitsKitchen by booking online here
or call 6738 1234.
Halal status: Halal-certifiedAddress: Lobby Level, 10 Scotts Rd, Grand Hyatt Singapore, Singapore 228211
Opening hours & prices: Iftar Dinner (6 May - 4 June 2019) - Price: $78++ (Adults), $38++ (Child, 5 - 12 years)
Hari Raya Puasa (6 June 2019) - Price: Lunch - $68++ (Adults), $38++ (Child, 5 - 12 years), Dinner - $78++ (Adults), $38++ (Child, 5 - 12 years)Website | Facebook | Instagram[P.S. Are you staying home for iftar instead? We've rounded up our top picks for halal food deliveries in Singapore this Ramadan!]
3. Fish & Co.How does a fresh plate of fish and chips and delectable fresh seafood sound for iftar? Awesome, if you ask us! Lucky for us, Fish & Co.’s Ramadan Feast has all the right ingredients for a spicy and flavourful seafood feast, specially prepared for you. Rich Peranakan and Asian flavours are the highlights of the Ramadan Feast, with dishes infused and served with Sambal, Harissa, Spicy Coconut Cream, Chilli Crab and XO Sauces. Just the sound of this is enough to make us drool ? Many of us will take this time to reconnect with our loved ones and what better way to do that than to share food? The Ramadan Feast ($80) is perfect for sharing, especially if you’re in a group of 4. One of the main highlights of the feast is the Asian Mixed Platter which consists of prawns, soft shell crab, grilled chicken and grilled white fish seasoned with spicy Asian sauces like
sambal, spicy harissa, XO sauce and coconut cream.
Their Peranakan Grilled White Fish
is also another highlight. The dish is drizzled with a specially concocted Spicy Coconut Sauce, which blends spices and ingredients reflecting the flavours of Chinese, Indonesian and Malay cuisines, making it an irresistible treat. Savour the fish with achar and mesclun salad served on the side!
Each set also comes with 4 sets of Paella rice and after filling your tummy with all the good food, cap it off with their Waffle Ice Cream. The Ramadan Feast by Fish and Co. will only be available from 5 May - 4 June, so be sure to have it for iftar ?Halal status: Halal-certifiedHead over to any of the Fish & Co. outlets here! Website | Facebook | Instagram
4. IchikokudoRamen for iftar? We say, go for it! Head over to Ichikokudo for your halal ramen fix and take this chance to get a break from all the rice you’ll be having during Ramadan ? Priding itself as the first halal Hokkaido ramen chain in Singapore, Ichikokudo’s signature broth is prepared using fresh chicken, vegetables and mix of ingredients from Hokkaido - like bonito, mackerel and kelp. This Ramadan, try the Ichikokudo Ramen «Light Rich» ($9.90), a lighter version of their classic ramen. Its broth is flavourful but yet not too overwhelming and the light springy noodles are made using a special blend of Hokkaido flour - just the hearty meal you need after a whole day of fasting ?[P.S. Find out more about Ichikokudo in this article.]Craving something spicy instead? Then get the Hokkai-Jigoku Smoked Duck Ramen ($15.90) instead! Prepare to tingle your taste buds as spicy miso paste is blended into their signature soup. Plus, their house-made chilli paste is served on the side so you can mix it into your ramen for an extra kick of spice! This dish is rich in flavour as the thick noodles will soak up all the broth and the slices of roasted duck breast add a slightly smoky twist. #HHWT Tip: Use promo code HHWT Wings to get their wings for just $2! All you have to do is mention the promo code to the staff at the counter and you'll enjoy the discount. Do note that it's limited to 1 promo code per receipt. For those of you who still can’t live without rice, try their Japanese Beef Yakiniku Don ($13.90). The slices of beef are pan-grilled with onion slices and capsicum then drizzled with their special sweet sauce, making it a mouthwatering treat. It comes with an onsen egg too pairs well with the beef and rice. Enjoy this with pickles and a bowl of hot miso soup!Don’t forget to order Ichikokudo’s side dishes for sharing too. We recommend getting the Hokkaido Butter Clams ($6.90). The butter is imported directly from Hokkaido and the region is known for using raw milk to make butter. Besides that, you should also try their Japanese Garlic Karaage ($6.90) made with a special marinade recipe, Grilled Gyoza ($6.90) and fresh Salmon sashimi ($7.90).
P.S. For those of you breaking fast in the CBD, you'd be pleased to know that Ichikokudo will be opening their third and latest outlet at Capri by Fraser Hotel at China Square. Here's the new address: #01-02/K1 at China Square Central, 181 South Bridge Road, Singapore 058743. However, do note that this outlet will take about 6 weeks after opening to get their halal certification from MUIS so do dine at your own discretion!
Make a reservation by booking online
or email [email protected]
Halal status: Halal-certifiedOutlets:1) Suntec City:Address: #B1-135 (North Wing Suntec City Mall, 3 Temasek Blvd, 038987Opening hours: 11am - 10pm daily (last order at 9pm)2) [email protected]Address: 313 Orchard Rd, #B3-35/36, Singapore 238895Opening hours: Sun, Mon - Thur, 11.30am - 10pm (last order at 9.30pm)Fri, Sat, PH, 11.30am - 10.30pm (last order at 9.45pm)Website | Facebook | Instagram
5. Royz Et Vous
Known for their mouthwatering selection of Western dishes like ribs, steaks and pasta, Royz Et Vous is introducing a slight twist to their menu this Ramadan.
Check out their RoyzEtVous Iftar Platter
which is perfect if you’re in a group of 4-6 people. Expect 4 of their signature main dishes - Beef Shortribs, Lamb Shank, Seabass Veracruz and ‘Panggang’ Chicken Leg - all on the same platter and served on top of Fried Shallot Basmati Rice. With tomato stew served on the side, you can sample the best of Royz Et Vous’ flavours and better still, have a hearty meal together with loved ones ?
If you’re a fan of fusion flavours, then we suggest trying the Rendang Tenderloin
. A twist to their usual tenderloin steak, this premium tenderloin beef is slow braised and cooked in Padang-style rendang. Sink your teeth into the tender meat and enjoy the mix of flavours as you have it with their Fried Shallot Basmati Rice and Pineapple Acar.
After enjoying the scrumptious mains, indulge in their homemade Cendol Panna Cotta
. This isn’t your usual panna cotta dessert - the silky smooth and creamy texture of panna cotta is enhanced with pandan jelly, kidney beans and gula melaka syrup to give you an extra sweet finish ?
Make a reservation by booking your slot on their website
1) 137 Telok Ayer Street #01-01, Singapore 068602 (located opposite Thiam Hock Keng Temple)
Mon to Thurs, 11-10pm, Fri 11am-11pm, Sat 12pm-11pm, Sun 12pm-10pm, cafe closed 4pm-5pm daily, last order is 45 minutes before closing time.
2) 750 Chai Chee Road #01-16, Viva Business Park, Singapore 469000 (located near the water fountain after the main entrance)
Mon to Fri, 11am-10pm (last order for weekdays will be at 9.15pm), Sat and Sun, 12pm-11pm, (last order for weekends will be at 9.15pm)
+65 6293 0270 (T)
Email: [email protected]Website
| Instagram[P.S. Heading to the Ramadan Bazaar? We've picked out 18 awesome eats you have to try this year!]
6. PeppercornMala fans, this one’s for you! If you’re always used to having the dry version of mala, Ma La Xiang Guo, then perhaps it’s time to try the soup form called Ma La Tang, a specialty at Peppercorn. Slurping up warm soup for iftar is always a comforting feeling especially when you’re breaking fast! P.S. For the uninitiated, ma la means “numbing spice” and the sauce originates from China’s Sichuan Province and is made using Sichuan peppercorns. Learn more about Peppercorn’s Ma La Tang here. Take this chance during Ramadan to indulge in Peppercorn’s hearty chicken soup broth which is simmered for hours to bring out its flavour! Like other mala eateries in Singapore, you’ll need to choose from over 20 ingredients including sirloin beef strips to chicken, seafood, and soy products. You can request for your preferred spice level and choose to up the spice by adding their signature Ma La chilli yourself. #HHWT Tip: We recommend getting their Scallion Oil Noodles ($4.50) to accompany your meal. With a mix of scallion oil and soy sauces, this is really flavourful and pairs well with the Ma La soup ?What’s great about dining at Peppercorn in Ramadan is that you can enjoy their 2-for-1 sides promo. All you need to do is order any of their appetising sides and get the lower-priced one for free! It’s great when you’re dining with your loved ones and need some munchies to share.
Make a reservation by calling Peppercorn at 9862 2559.
Halal status: Halal-certified Address: 30 Kandahar St, Singapore 198890
Opening hours:Mon – Sat, 11.30am – 2.30pm, 5.30pm – 9.30pm, closed on Sundays
Facebook | Instagram[P.S. Check out our review of Peppercorn here!]
7. Blue Jasmine (Please note that as of July 2019 Blue Jasmine is no longer halal-certified ☹️) Known for their yummy Thai dishes, Blue Jasmine is offering a Ramadan spread that incorporates both Thai and the traditional flavours of Ramadan. The restaurant will be having 2 themed buffets during the fasting month - Seafood Night buffet (13-19 May) and Grill & Roast Night buffet (20-26 May). Take your pick or have the best of both worlds ? Start slow with a range of appetisers like Rojak Buah (fruits and vegetables in shrimp sauce), Thai Crab Cake or Tom Yum Red with Seafood. Then tuck in to hearty mains like their Seafood Lemak Chilli Api consisting of mussels and clams in a coconut milk gravy with a blend of spices. Or if you’d like, dig in to their Ayam Masak Merah - sink your teeth into marinated chicken thigh cooked with tomato paste and fragrant spices. For the seafood night, you’ll be treated to an array of grilled prawns, squid, fish and crayfish at their live station. But if you’re a meat lover, you’d be delighted by the Grill & Roast night where you’ll find tender and juicy grilled meats from beef to lamb chop, chicken satay and chicken thigh, each with its own special marinade. Don’t miss out on their Devil Wings which will fire up your taste buds ? After you’re left thoroughly satisfied, end the night with dessert! Blue Jasmine’s Coconut Pudding with Berry Compotes will be just the treat you need. Smooth, creamy pudding with sweet and sour fruits, this will be so good that you’ll be taking multiple servings! Find out more about the buffet on their website and email [email protected] or call +65 6824 8851 to make a reservation. Halal status: As of July 2019, Blue Jasmine is no longer halal-certified. However, the restaurant assured that the menu contains no pork and no lard. Address: 10 Farrer Park Station Road, Level 5, Park Hotel Farrer Park, 217564
Opening hours: 6.30pm - 10pm
Price: $58++ (Adult), $29++ (Child, 6-12 years old)
Website | Facebook | Instagram
8. Jom Makan SeafoodIf you’re thinking of celebrating a special occasion or just breaking fast with your loved ones on a weekend, then nothing beats having a seafood feast! Jom Makan Seafood will leave you thoroughly satisfied with their awesome seafood offerings.Their best-seller, the Shovel Seafood Platter (from $36), is not to be missed. Your favourite seafood items like crabs, squid, mussels, scallops (and more!) are served on a pandan leave and topped with generous amounts of the sauce of your choice. Choose from their signature Salted Egg sauce, Chilli, Sambal, Creamy Butter, Sweet & Sour or Curry Sauce ?Craving for fish instead? Then take delight in their Sambal BBQ Stingray (from $12), a hawker favourite. With a thick sambal that’s out of this world, this makes a perfect complement to the seafood platter. Trust us, one serving of this yummy dish won’t be enough!
P.S. Not only is Jom Makan open for iftar but all you night owls can have your sahur here too! They are open till 6am during Ramadan ?
But perhaps the best part about dining at Jom Makan is that you can add lobster, prawns or crayfish and lala/scallops to their Maggi Goreng and Bee Hoon Goreng (from $12)! The Maggi Goreng is soaked in a thick and rich sweet-spicy gravy and when savoured with chunks of fresh lobsters and crayfish, it’ll be a tantalising treat! The Bee Hoon Goreng is flavourful but yet not too overwhelming, which makes it great to pair with the seafood. #HHWT Tip: Use promo code JOMMAKAN484 to enjoy a 10% discount with minimum spending of $30!Call 8101 1881
to make your reservations for iftar this Ramadan.
Halal status: Muslim-owned Address: 484, Changi Rd, Singapore 419896
Opening hours: 11am - 6am daily (during Ramadan)
Facebook | Instagram
If you’re looking for a special occasion (hint: Mother’s Day❤️) to celebrate with your family or friends this Ramadan, AquaMarine is the place to go. This hotel buffet is usually known for having a huge spread for their daily buffets and its Ramadan Iftar dinner (6 May - 4 June)
is no exception as well.
Indulge in their weekend highlights - the Oven-roasted Balinese Black Angus Prime Rib
. With a slightly charred taste on the outside, every bite into the tender meat will be a treat. If you can’t get enough of their grilled offerings, head over to the barbecue station and get your fill of their Charcoal Grilled Lamb Spare Rib, Giant Squid, Scampi and Otah-otah ?
If you’re not heading to any bazaars this Ramadan, not to worry! You can still relive that atmosphere at AquaMarine by sinking your teeth into their Deepfried Crispy Prawn Vadai
. Enjoy every bite of this tasty fritters and trust us, you’ll be craving for more. Their Mutton Kacang Pool
(foul medames) is not to be missed as well. Topped with 64-degree sous vide egg, AquaMarine’s take on this local dish will delight you.
Enjoy 20% off Marina Mandarin’s Deluxe and Executive Deluxe rooms when you book a staycation this Ramadan (up till 16 June)!
Find out more about the buffet here
and email [email protected]
or call +65 6845 1111 to make reservations.
6 Raffles Blvd, Level 4 Marina Mandarin, Singapore 039594
Dinner only (6.30pm - 10pm)
$73++ (Adult), $36.50++ (Child, 6-12 years old)
10. Citrus By The PoolWe know just how hectic it can get if you’re dining out for iftar. There are many others doing the same and most of the time, you have to wait long for your food. By the time it comes, you’d have to eat quickly in order to catch Maghrib. Fortunately, Citrus By The Pool lets you pre-order your iftar meal and pick it up at their restaurant (from 1 May to 5 June), so you can enjoy your meal at the comfort of your own home ?All you need to do is order via their website 12 hours in advance and then collect your food at their Woodlands outlet. The best part is, you get to enjoy 25% off your total bill! Not only do you get a discount, but you also won’t need to waste time waiting for your food to arrive. For the uninitiated, Citrus by the Pool specialises in Western and Asian fusion cuisine. Some of their most popular dishes are Tom Yum Seafood Pasta, Lamb Rack and Da Burger Bomb. You can also indulge in their signature dishes like Baked Salmon and BIG Boss Burger. Do note that desserts and milkshakes are not available for this deal. But if you’d still prefer heading out for iftar instead, we recommend making a trip down to either of their outlets. Both outlets in Woodlands and Sengkang have relaxing ambience. Called Citrus Bistro, the Sengkang outlet lets you sit “alfresco” while dining near the pool, perfect for a cosy night out with your loved ones. You can also savour their Curry Chicken w Rice/Bread which is a Citrus Bistro exclusive ?
Pre-order your iftar meal by ordering through their website
or make a reservation online
if you're heading to any of their restaurant/bistro. Do note that pre-order is only available for Citrus By The Pool (Woodlands).
Halal status: Halal-certifiedOutlets: Citrus By The Pool (Woodlands)
Address: 3 Woodlands Street 13, Woodlands Swimming Complex, S738600
Nearest MRT Stations: Woodlands MRT Station (10-Min Walk), Marsiling MRT Station (10-Min Walk)
Buses: 187, 856, 911, 925, 950, 960, 961, 963, 966
Mondays - Fridays 11:00am - 11:00pm
Saturdays, Sundays, & Public Holidays 9:00am - 11:00pm
(Last Order 10:00pm)
Website | Facebook | InstagramCitrus Bistro (Sengkang)
Address: 57 Anchorvale Road, Sengkang Swimming Complex, S544964
Nearest LRT/MRT Stations: Farmway LRT Station (5-Min Walk), Sengkang MRT Station (5-Min Drive)
Buses: 85, 102, 374
Mondays - Sundays & Public Holidays 9:00am - 9:00pm
(Last Order 8:30pm)Website | Facebook | Instagram
11. GrainWant something different and a healthier option for iftar? We know a place that’ll do just the trick - Grain! An online restaurant that delivers meals crafted specially by chefs, Grain prides itself on using only fresh and wholesome ingredients. They have shared meals or individual meal boxes, making it ideal even if you’re alone for iftar ?If you need to prepare iftar for 3-6 people, we recommend getting their La Cocina Fiesta, a Mexican set meal with 4 or 6 mains (from $58, depending on your preferred meal) What’s fun about this is that you can make your own wrap with your choice of meat and vegetables.The wrap uses chapati - a healthier alternative to tortilla and you can choose from interesting mains like Corn-tossed Coriander Lime Rice, Citrus Chicken Fajitas, Spicy Tomato Braised Beef, Zesty Chipotle-lime Shrimp and Smoked Paprika Toman Fish. Plus, there’s dessert too! Cinnamon Churro Waffles, anyone? #HHWT Tip: Use promo code GRAINHHWT to get $5 off one order (valid till July 31, 2019)!But for those of you who are breaking fast alone, not to worry! Grain’s individual meal boxes will be your comfort food. Check out the best sellers like Grilled Chicken Fajitas ($13.95) and Nasi Lemak Ayam Masak Merah ($12.95) which are sure to satisfy your palate. Alternatively, you can try more unique flavours like Torched Unagi Steak or Grain Signature Chicken Rice. Who knew food delivery could be so awesome? Start ordering your Grain meal here
Halal status: Halal-certifiedContact No: +65 3163 5335
Website | Facebook | Instagram
12. (working title) Burger Bar
One of the pioneers of the halal hipster cafe scene in Singapore, (working title)
closed its doors late last year but it's recently reopened at a brand new location, with a new menu and cosy ambience.
Their menu might constantly be a "work in progress" but rest assured, you can look forward to specialty burgers like the Baaa-ger
. Lamb patty is flame-grilled and then topped with provolone cheese, garlic aioli sauce and more, making it really juicy.
Those of you looking for their old favourites will enjoy their Ribena Chicken Wings
, Truffle Tater Tots
and Bandung Latte
too! (working title) is perfect if you're looking for a chill night out for iftar ☺️
783 North Bridge Rd, Singapore 198751
12pm -10pm (Sun – Thur), 12pm – 11pm (Fri – Sun)
Reservations:Book your slots for iftar hereWebsite
13. Pu3 Restaurant
A hearty and delicious meal to be shared with your loved ones is always great and Pu3's Nasi Ambeng Dulang (from $50)
fits the bill! Choose the basic or royal set which are suitable for 4 people to share.
Credit: @wackjuice on Instagram
What we love about Pu3 is that they are generous with their amount of dishes. Savour your favourite Malay dishes like Ayam Lemak Cili Padi, Rendang, Sambal Prawn (and more!) all on one plate.
The eatery has a small musollah during Ramadan so you can head over to do your prayers conveniently.
111 Somerset Road #02-20, TripleOne Somerset, Singapore 238164 (just above NTUC Fairprice Finest)
Opening hours (6 May - 3 June 2019):
Mon - Sun/PH: 4.30pm - 10pm
Takeaway & self-collection: 5pm - 6.30pm
Dine-in: 6.30pm - 9.30pm (by reservation only, be seated by 6.30pm)
Call 63384419 or send them a message on Facebook
during office hours (Mon-Fri, 10am - 5pm)
Delivery (5pm - 7pm): Order your food here
*As there are limited seats, do note that your reservation will only be confirmed once the deposit is paid.
14. Positano Risto
Known for being one of the top Italian restaurants in Singapore, Positano Risto
serves quality food that'll surely fill you up for iftar.
Credit: Positano Risto on Facebook
We recommend having one of their crowd favourites – Positano Mac and Cheese With Crabmeat ($16.95)
. Sprinkled with breadcrumbs and topped with a generous serving of crab meat, this yummy cheesy goodness will be heaven for all you cheese lovers ?
Credit: @ketoyana on Instagram
Don’t miss out on their signature pizzas too. With a crispy thin crust handmade to perfection, Positano’s pizzas have just the right texture. The Positano Super Supreme Calzone ($29.95)
is super yummy and perfect for sharing, just what you'd want for iftar!
66 Bussorah Street, Singapore
11.30am - 10pm (Sun - Thur), 11.30am - 11pm (Fri - Sat)
Call 6292 1866 or book onlineWebsite
15. Tongue Tip Lanzhou Beef Noodles
Halal Chinese hand-pulled noodles have been making waves in Singapore and for all the right reasons! Tongue Tip is one of the latest eateries to join the scene.
Credit: @iris.nihao on Instagram
The broth is heavenly and the noodles are a delight to bite into. Not to mention copious amounts of tender beef slices too ? Choose your preferred size of noodles and broth (non-spicy, $8.50 or mala, $9.50).
Credit: @theburgerface on Instagram
Alternatively, if you don't like soup, you can opt for a dry version of the noodles too (from $8.90) ? Either way, your tummy will be left fully satisfied!
Get their Ramadan Special which consists of 4 large noodles, 4 sides, 4 drinks and 50g beef slices. There's free flow noodles too! All these for just $56.80 ?
Tiong Bahru Plaza, #02-107/108
*They have 2 other outlets at Chinatown Point and Jurong Point which are not halal-certified yet.
11am - 10pm daily
With so many interesting and scrumptious options this Ramadan, you can brace yourself for an amazing iftar if you're dining out. Whether you're looking for a mouthwatering buffet, seafood platters or even Japanese ramen, our list has you covered. Time to start calling all your loved ones and plan that iftar gathering!