[Updated: 13 December 2019]
If you’re in need of a little adrenaline rush or perhaps a good dose of fun, then you have to get yourself to Universal Studios Singapore! As the first Universal Studios theme park in Southeast Asia, the place is packed with rides and characters bursting with life that will surely get you knackered by the end of the day. 😅
To help you get started, we’ve rallied up some tips for you to get the most out of your day at Universal Studios Singapore!
1. Plan your trip around off-peak periods
The best time to drop by the Hollywood movie-themed park is definitely during the off-peak season. Yes, that means weekdays and non-public holidays. You will still see handfuls of people, but it won’t be as bad. At least you can spend your day without worrying about getting lost in the crowds!
USS is one of the most popular destinations for families in Singapore, and they have plenty of facilities and amenities to make your trip there a smooth one. From stroller rentals to lockers and more, click here for the Muslim family's essential guide to USS and the rest of Resorts World Singapore
#HHWT tip: Singapore has 2 major
school holiday periods: the month of June, and late November to end December. If you're really not a fan of crowds do try to avoid the school holidays too because boy, will it be packed! You have been warned… ☝️
2. Get your tickets way beforehand
Be sure to book your USS entry tickets on Klook
ahead of your visit 😉 That way, you can skip the queues at the ticketing booth and enter the park straight away when you show your mobile e-voucher! Remember to use the code "TRAVELHHWT
" to enjoy S$5 off your purchase if it's your first time signing up on Klook. Alternatively, you can get the tickets on the day itself, but do note that tickets are subjected to availability. You can check the visitor information page
for more information. 🙂
Being one of the main tourist attractions here in Singapore, there's bound to be lots of visitors, so you'll spend most of the time queuing for the attractions. It’s best if you bring along a friend or two, especially one who appreciates movies! You could play some games while waiting in line too.
3. Start your day early Be outside the Universal Studios Singapore’s gates before the opening time so you can
get a headstart! Credit: giphy
The gates open as early as 10am, and closes around 7pm or 8pm depending on the days, so that leaves you with good nine to ten hours to cover the ground and have a fulfilling time!
4. Pack light, and pack well!
You will be spending the whole day here, so only pack the necessities, and that includes:
- Lots and lots of plain water and a refillable water bottle that isn't too heavy
- Sunscreen to battle those UV Rays
- Portable fan to keep yourself cool
- Extra cash
- A poncho (just in case you get wet on a certain ride...)
- A change of clothes
With Singapore’s scorching hot weather, you’ll either be soaking in sweat or soaked from the water-based rides! Certain rides are meant to get you wet, so bringing a spare outfit to change into is a good idea. Besides, it’ll be nice to freshen up a little at the end of a good day.
5. Get yourself the Express Pass if you’re willing to pay If you’re not the kind of person who can stand long queues, then do yourself a favour and get yourself the Universal Express Pass. On average, without the Express pass means you’ll have to wait about 30 minutes to an hour depending on
your day of visit. If you're visiting during peak periods you might even have to wait 90 minutes to 2 hours! 😱 Credit: Giphy
With the pass, you can skip the long regular queues and get to your ride at a shorter time! There are two types of passes: the Universal Express and the Universal Express Unlimited, with prices starting from S$40 and above. The Universal Express pass can be used only once at each attraction, while the Universal Express Unlimited pass entitles you to never-ending access, i.e. never-ending fun! Head over to the ticketing information page
to see the participating attractions!
P.S. You can also pre-order the Universal Express on Klook
to make your trip even more convenient!
6. Know which ride you want to go on first
To make sure your time is maximized, should map out the rides you want to go on beforehand. If you only have time for a few rides, we recommend that you do not miss these as they're the most enjoyable rides we’ve been on:
- Battlestar Galactica's HUMAN vs. CYLON™ Duelling Rollercoasters: For an ultimate 14-storey thrill ride
- Jurassic Park Rapids Adventure™: Guaranteed to get you soaked and wide awake for the rest of your day
- TRANSFORMERS The Ride: The Ultimate 3D Battle against the evil forces that even kids can enjoy
- Revenge of the Mummy™: An indoor rollercoaster that will leave you coming back for more
7. Watch your favourite characters come to life at night
A full theme park experience definitely calls for the Hollywood Dreams Parade. Filled with characters from Madagascar, Shrek, Ancient Egypt, Jurassic Park and the Revenge of the Mummy, the vibrant parade will get you moving to the beats alongside the moving floats and lively dancers!
Starting in 2019, the parade has become a night parade, starting at 7.30pm and taking place during Universal After Hours. Make sure you get to the parade route early to get a good view of the brightly-lit floats and light shows. The parade begins at the Waterworld from the Lost World zone and ends at the New York zone. Routes are marked off by white tapes on the floor, so be sure to stand behind the line for safety!
It starts with characters from the New York zone, with characters like Beetlejuice and Woody Woodpecker, followed by the Madagascar zone and the Far Far Away zone. The Lost World zone comes next, with the Ancient Egypt zone coming after. The parade will end with characters from Hollywood!
#HHWT tip: This parade only
runs during Universal After Hours (Fridays, Saturdays, and select Public Holidays), so make sure to check if it'll be operating before you plan your trip! Do note that the parade may not run during existing night-time activities, such as USS' annual Halloween Horror Nights event!
8. Meet and greet your favourite characters in the daytime too!
Can't stay until After Hours to watch the parade, or feeling down because After Hours is temporarily gone? You won't have to worry about catching your favourite characters in the daytime either as there are parades and live performances happening in the park all day!
You can catch Puss In Boots, the Penguins from Madagascar, and USS' own singers and dancers at various zones throughout the day. Make sure to snap a photo before the show ends!
If you want to get even closer, keep an eye out for Meet and Greet sessions that are scheduled throughout the day too. Characters from every zone in the park (including Marilyn Monroe, Cookie Monster, and Gru from Despicable Me to name a few) will emerge for a quick hug and handshake!
9. Have yummy burgers in a classic 1950’s American diner You can experience those classic 50’s drive-thru vibes at Mel’s Drive In at the Hollywood zone (near the main entrance area) and the best part? It's
You can get some classic cheeseburger, chocolate milkshakes and some cheesy fries. Be prepared for theme park prices (about SGD12 and above), but at least it's yummy and will fuel you up for the day ahead!
Other halal-certified food outlets within USS include:
- Friar’s at Far Far Away: Western selection of sandwiches, wraps and ice-cream
- Goldilocks at Far Far Away: Special Recipe fried chicken with Ben & Jerry’s ice-cream
- Oasis Spice Café at Ancient Egypt: Middle Eastern favourites, biryani and butter chicken.
- Marty’s Casa Del Wild Food Court at Madagascar: Southeast Asian Tom Yam, Nasi Lemak and Satay.
10. Shop for Unique souvenirs
What's a trip without bringing home a memento or two? From T-rex figurines, dinosaur-shaped novelty pens, Mummy snow globes to unicorn plush toys, you'll need a keepsake to remember the best day ever 😎 Explore hidden fossils in Jurassic World or escape to a fairytale land in Far, Far Away and bring home the loot to prove it!
You'll go bananas for this adorable unicorn! Make sure to bring home these furry friends to complete your magical experience 😊
11. Prayer room at USS
Of course after your day frolicking in the sun, you can't forget your prayers 😉 Take a moment to recharge and reconnect at the prayer area, before getting back to your daily dose of roller coasters, live floats and photo shoots. There is a dedicated prayer room next to the Battlestar Galactica rollercoasters, further split into separate rooms for men and women. Each room has its own wudhu (ablution) area within so you can have a completely fuss-free experience!
Prayer mats, prayer garments, and qiblat are all provided within the room. However, we advise you to bring your own prayer garments as there are usually only 1-2 pieces in the room itself.
12. Be prepared for seasonal attractions USS operates around-the-year (thanks to Singapore's tropical climate not even a little rain is enough to shut the place down!) but there are definitely some periods where the theme park becomes even more exciting than usual. 🤩 Extended hours, limited-time attractions, and a chance to experience the park from a whole new angle? Count us in! One of USS' most popular seasonal attractions is definitely its yearly Halloween Horror Nights. Taking place from end-September till end-October every year, visitors can expect only the scariest of haunted houses, scare zones, and shows that will leave your heart racing. Now in its 9th year running, the haunted houses are always themed to get the most goosebumps out of
visitors - last year's edition even had a Stranger Things themed haunted house! #HHWT Tip:
If you're not a fan of haunted houses and just want to enjoy the creepy atmosphere, you'll be glad to know that most of the regular rides will still be operational during these extended hours including the Battlestar Galactica rollercoasters, Puss In Boots' Giant Journey, Revenge of the Mummy and more!
Whether you’re there for the classic characters or the heart-pumping rides, you're sure to have an amazing time at USS! Every theme park experience will be a unique one. Let us know if our guide was useful for your visit to Universal Studios Singapore! 😄 Now, are you ready for a thrilling adventure? Purchase your USS tickets here!